ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Ten Things About Today's game Week 6: KC 26 - Bills 17
gblowfish 07:15 PM 10-19-2020
Ten Things About Today’s Game, Week 6: KC 26 - BUF 17

10. Buffalo is a beautiful place for about a month: May till June. The rest of the time, it sucks out loud. Lake Erie sucks. Lake effect snow five feet high. Niagra Falls isn’t even in Buffalo, and the best part of the Falls are on the Canadian side, anyway. Their local beer is Genesee, which is basically a nastier Natty Light. Their food is nuclear hot chicken wings; the kind of food you regret eating the next morning when you singe your colon. Their stadium is a 1970’s era high school field. I’m sure the Bills Mafia enjoyed drunken stage diving into folding tables in their rec rooms, as it was pissing rain and 50 degrees this entire game. Played on a field made up of wet, ground up bald Goodyear tires, this is one of those games where you just fly in, do your damn job, get wet, kick ass, towel off, come home. This year of NFL Covid Ball has been so weird. I don’t think the Chiefs have ever played a 4pm game on a Monday. This was our fourth national prime game this year; Opening night vs. Texans, Monday night vs. Ravens, weird Covid Monday game vs. Pats, now this one. Bills have only had two national NFL games, including tonight. They’ve lost them both. Bills are not ready for prime time. And Joe Buck? Thank God we can turn on Mitch and Danan Hughes for the play by play. Joe Buck makes me want to kill my family.

9. After the Vegas game, we all agreed that both sides of the Chiefs lines got pushed around and beaten. Flip the scrip this week. Chiefs rushed 46 times for 245 yards, mostly running behind Fisher and Allegretti. Defense gave up only 206 total yards. KC ran 23 more plays than Buffalo. Bills leading rusher was Allen, who ran 8 times for 42 yards. The two Bills TD drives were both sustained by KC penalties, mostly on third down. More on that later.

8. On defense, early on Chris Jones and Frank Clark both showed up this week with good pressure. Chiefs had no sacks, but chased Allen all over the field and forced many bad throws. Allen only threw for 122 yards and one of his TD passes was on an all pro toe drag by Diggs. His other TD to Mrs Beasley was just a basic crossing route in front of Thornhill.

7. Buffalo had 20 first downs; five of those were on Chiefs defensive penalties. Breeland had a pretty bad night. He was responsible for at least three of those first downs on DPI or Illegal Contacts. Our defensive backs seemed to jam John Brown in the grill over and over again. Nnadi played well, team only gave up 17 points on the road. Dirty Dan got a game closing pick. Major turnaround from last week, and kudos to Spags for getting things cleaned up and back on the rails.

6. Mitch the Kitch walked very gingerly to the locker room after the first series. Austin Reiter was replaced by Kilgore, who except for one snap exchange fumble by PMII played a great game. Fisher showed why he was worthy of a first round pick. He road graded for CEH, who ran for 161 yards and averaged over six yards a carry. Line busted Darrel Williams on a fourth and one for a game dagger 13 yard TD scamper.

5. Kelce caught five for 65 and two big TDs. Patrick set the Chiefs record for 16 straight games throwing a TD pass. And big kudos to Byron Pringle, who came up with a huge 37 yard catch on 3rd and 14 to sustain the drive where Buttkicker got his final field goal. Hardman has yet to surface as a replacement for Watkins. Robinson was the man tonight with five for 69 yards. Patrick only had eight incomplete passes. He continues to mature.

4. Chiefs caught a couple breaks, despite the fact that Buffalo didn’t get a single penalty in the first half. On Buffalo’s first drive, they ran Brown deep into the end zone, flag was thrown, then picked up in the end zone. That would have given the Bills the ball first and goal on the four. Instead they settled for a field goal. With five minutes left in the game, Kelce digs a ball up off the turf for a first down. Chiefs hurry to the line and snap the ball before it can be reviewed. They hand the ball to CEH, who gets swallowed up, and the ball popped out on the way to the ground. Luckily his knee hit a nanosecond before the ball was ripped out. Close...could have flipped the game momentum. Buffalo actually received a beneficial penalty. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, Buffalo tried a quick snap QB sneak on 4th and short on their own 30 yard line. Chiefs stoned him. Refs then threw a flag and said Bills O-Line false started. That waived the play off, and the Bills then punted, Chiefs fielded the punt, held on the play, got the ball on their own six yard line instead of on the Bills 30. So…sometimes the refs bail your ass out with a penalty.

3. Patrick had only one pass over 30 yards to Pringle late in the fourth quarter. Everything else was short to intermediate. Very patient. And Patrick continued to look like vintage young Horse Face. Bills were playing deep over the top to stop Tyreek, tried to keep everything in front of them. When they did, Patrick would just roll out, and either wait for somebody to break open, or simply run for the first down. He ran 10 times, which is a lot more than I’d like to see, but he’s been pretty smart about getting down when he needs to.

2. Buttkicker still shaky on XPAs. He seems to be fine on field goals, but he’s having some kind of yips with the XPAs. Luckily he hasn’t cost us a game yet. Our special teams have been in the bottom quarter of the league so far this year. Still having penalties on kickoffs and punts. Buffalo’s guy out punted our guy by a ton, averaged 14 more yards per punt. Something to work on, anyway.

1. So KC goes to 5-1. Vegas gets a red hot Tommy Boy next week, while we get a shaky Drew Lock and the Donks. Lock tried like Hell to blow the Pats game last week with two fourth quarter picks, but Newton just couldn’t get that last drive together. At the six game mark, if we were told we’d be 5 and 1, I think we all would have said we’d gladly take that. Looking at the schedule before the season started, everybody had Baltimore and Buffalo on the road as possible losses, and we won both. So things are looking pretty good. On to spanking those Donks!
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:40 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah, I'd have liked to see Pat rip one, just as a reminder of who you're playing. But it's hard to argue with the outcome. I think it is unlikely that this gameplan developed without a distinct weakness on film we could exploit.

Ultimately, like I've said a million times, I want to score the most efficient way we can. It's hard for me to believe that running is the way, but I can be convinced. With the weather and OL injuries (potentially messing up protection assignments) and of course the result, I'm open to it.

Belicheat was good when he was good because they could beat you any way you let them. We get this running game right and keep the wheels on the OL, watch out, bitches.
I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd be willing to bet there isn't another game like this the entire season.
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:42 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
:-)

I'm having this printed on a t-shirt.
"Joe Buck Hates America!"
https://sports.yahoo.com/troy-aikman...233045385.html
Attached: flyover.jpg (37.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:42 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
yep - that was the point I was making last night (leaving the ferrari in the garage).

Mahomes only had 5 incompletions on the night, and no one looked like they were struggling catching the ball on our side. (bills struggled because Allen is about as accurate of a passer as Lamar Jackson)

I was furious in the 4th quarter, because as you mentioned, we were a long 3rd down failed conversion away from potentially losing that game.

I like that we showed we could run the ball (on the bills), but it wouldnt have been worth it, had we lost by a late TD.

Last night was like hockey or soccer games where one team dominates the hell out of the other, and a fluky late goal comes along and completely changes the narrative.
I think it was Robinson (maybe...Don't remember) that biffed one off his hands. That is the kind of tip that gets picked. Kelce had a drop too. Hill looked like he turned an ankle, or was at least gimpy after a play.

I'm with you, but I can be convinced.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:42 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah, I'd have liked to see Pat rip one, just as a reminder of who you're playing. But it's hard to argue with the outcome. I think it is unlikely that this gameplan developed without a distinct weakness on film we could exploit.

Ultimately, like I've said a million times, I want to score the most efficient way we can. It's hard for me to believe that running is the way, but I can be convinced. With the weather and OL injuries (potentially messing up protection assignments) and of course the result, I'm open to it.

Belicheat was good when he was good because they could beat you any way you let them. We get this running game right and keep the wheels on the OL, watch out, bitches.

I look at it as the Chiefs played the game they needed to play. I think the weather and field conditions contributed a lot to that.
[Reply]
scho63 08:53 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Ten Things About Today’s Game, Week 6: KC 26 - BUF 17

10. Buffalo is a beautiful place for about a month: May till June. The rest of the time, it sucks out loud.
FYP
Played on a field made up of wet, ground up bald Goodyear tires, this is one of those games where you just fly in, do your damn job, get wet, kick ass, towel off, come home.
Joe Buck makes me want to kill my family.
Yes, Yes

9. Chiefs rushed 46 times for 245 yards, mostly running behind Fisher and Allegretti.
Our replacements of Allegretti and Kilgore were beasts along with Fisher.
I was a little pissed we didn't do more play action but it still worked out

7. Buffalo had 20 first downs; five of those were on Chiefs defensive penalties.
Our secondary sucked balls for the most part. Ward and Breeland were a two-man shit show.

5. Hardman has yet to surface as a replacement for Watkins.
Hardman on the offensive side and Schwartz on the offensive side have been our biggest disappointments.

2. Buttkicker still shaky on XPAs.
Even his makes barely squeak inside the uprights. His is a mess on XP's. Maybe it's time to just go for 2 ? :-)

1. On to spanking those Donks!
I want to beat them by 40 and see Elway wincing in pain in the press box.
Nice succinct writeup and hard to disagree on anything. :-)

The one major point I think you missed was Andy Reid's fucked up clock management at the end of the first half. :-)
We all know it's bad but why did he sit on 3 timeouts at 3:09 and then with 1:14 and the ball on our 9 he decides to then go 2 minute offense and pass??? I think that was a complete fuckup and Kelce trying too hard then fumbled. We should have had 2:30 and the ball, not 1:14 or so. Just a waste and piss poor clock management.

Nice to see Allegretti and Kilgore step up and crush Buffalo's front 4 or 5.

I was amazed that CEH had a 8.5 yard average and no real giant runs until late, just a lot of 8-12 yard gashes.

Tyreek was invisible and hopefully he doesn't feel neglected and appreciates the team effort.

Overall a big win and the score was a real false statement of how we pounded the shit out of them in every way possible. Should have been a 14-17 point win at a minimum.

Upwards and onwards to slay the Donkeys! :-)

[Reply]
gblowfish 08:56 AM 10-20-2020
Pour ketchup on this Bills Mafia fan. I think he's beyond well done:
Attached: billsmafia.jpg (113.8 KB) 
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:57 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I look at it as the Chiefs played the game they needed to play. I think the weather and field conditions contributed a lot to that.
Yep.
[Reply]
HayWire 08:59 AM 10-20-2020
I wonder if their billboard is still up this morning? :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:05 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by oldman:
Good job as usual, George.

Two of your points should stand out. First, the O-line play. Kilgore replacing Reiter and Allegretti being a beast. It semed like just about every big run was to the left. I'm hoping Heck took notice. Second, there is just something wrong with the extra points. I know it was raining on the miss and the ball may have been wet, but we're paying Buttkicker a bundle of money to make those. I just can't help but feel there's something in the hold he doesn't like. Some of his short FGs have been adventures, too.
It's possible that Butker's issues may have something to do with the fact that he's got a new holder. Kickers are like golfers; everything is about repetition and consistency. Changing one thing, even as seemingly inconsequential as who holds the ball can make a difference.

I don't think it's something that will be an issue over the long-term, but we may be just seeing the growing pains that come with Colquitt's departure.

Oh, and great write-up again, GB.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 09:18 AM 10-20-2020
Good write up George.

I may be in the minority here, but I wasnt 100% ok with the gameplan continuing on through the 4th quarter.

Maybe I'm still scarred for life, but tonight reminded me of games with Marty in the 90s where we let a team hang around long enough, and then relied on the offense to get a first down to ice the game - then watch as they dont get it, and the other team wins on a late TD.

We have a ferrari at QB, and we kept it in the garage.

I LOVE seeing us run the ball down their throats, but it would be nice to let Pat be Pat.

Wonder if this was a response to Pat trying to force things downfield too much last week, and not take what the D was giving us?
I agree a little bit with this, but for the most part, I think this was what happens when we play patient football and take what is given to us. It seemed like we had 6-7-8 yards on first down nearly the entire game, because the Bills were so adamant not to get beat that they bailed out on the short stuff. I think to some degree, the Raiders did the same, except it felt like we were trying to push the ball downfield in spite of it.

Your point is a good one though, in that had the CEH non-fumble been a fumble, it could have significantly changed the outcome. This was prevalent in Martyball in that one big play could interrupt the entire outcome, even if you were beating the pants out of the opponent for 59 minutes (cough, cough...Derrick Thomas 6 sack game v. Seattle is a good example)

The difference though is that we do have the Ferrari that can light it up at any time. The 3rd / 14 to Pringle is an example. By all means, that play was dead if in the hands of mere mortals, but not for our QB.

So, I think what we saw was actually a great game plan geared around taking those 6-7-8 yards a pop, and the discipline to not shoot yourself in the foot by trying to force something that wasn't there. It does grind the game down a bit, but unlike Martyball, this game never really felt out of hand at any time.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:18 AM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
To use your own analogy, I’m not sure if a cold, windy, rainy, shitty night is the best time to take your Ferrari for a drive.
Drop the mic.

Take your victory lap.

Best poast of the thread.
[Reply]
BWillie 09:20 AM 10-20-2020
Got nothing for love for those table jumping dumbasses. They know how to tailgate and party. They endured going to four straight Super Bowls and failing. We owe them our compassion.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:20 AM 10-20-2020
Good read, George. I am curious, though, if you are purposely misspelling names or if you truly don't realize the correct spellings.

Nnadi Reiter
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:22 AM 10-20-2020
yep - that was the point I was making last night (leaving the ferrari in the garage).

Mahomes only had 5 incompletions on the night, and no one looked like they were struggling catching the ball on our side. (bills struggled because Allen is about as accurate of a passer as Lamar Jackson)

I was furious in the 4th quarter, because as you mentioned, we were a long 3rd down failed conversion away from potentially losing that game.

I like that we showed we could run the ball (on the bills), but it wouldnt have been worth it, had we lost by a late TD.

Last night was like hockey or soccer games where one team dominates the hell out of the other, and a fluky late goal comes along and completely changes the narrative.
The Chiefs are 5-1 instead of 3-3 due to Mahomes being an all-universe QB.

Chargers and Bills games were sealed in the final 5 minutes by making plays only 2-3 others can. He converted a 3-20 (run) and a 3-14 in those games. His run overcame a phantom holding call late in the LA game (long pass inside the 5 to CEH)...it should have never went to OT.

That's the difference between himself and a QB like Allen...

It's worth noting that KC had a TD taken away again...that's 3 in 2 games and twice for holding. The main reason teams are scoring at a record pace is due to a dramatic decrease in holding calls...conversely Bills had no flags in the first half...and apart from two personal fouls for out-of-bounds hits, had 9 yards of penalties. One of which negated a 4th down stand and cost 65 yards of field position. Chiefs had 2 defensive flags sustain Buffalo drives on 3rd and longs...

NFL needs to make a rule change that if a false start is allowed to play out...the opposing team has the option to decline it.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:22 AM 10-20-2020
The penalties were getting annoying last night. Yes, our guys have to do better to try to avoid those. Still, I saw a play where one of our receivers was coming across the middle and got violated and nothing was called. If you're going to call it, be consistent and fair. Sometimes, it doesn't seem that is the case.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Up