ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Media Center>Disney announces 100% focus on streaming. The death of movie theaters?
Deberg_1990 05:21 PM 10-12-2020
Hmmm.

Disney is going all-in on streaming media.

On Monday, the company announced a massive reorganization of its media and entertainment business that will focus on developing productions that will debut on its streaming and broadcast services. Disney’s media businesses, ads, and distribution, and Disney+ will now operate under the same business unit, the company said.

Its major reorganization comes just days after activist investor Dan Loeb, a major investor in the company through his Third Point Capital hedge fund, called on Disney to cancel its dividend and redirect more investments into streaming.

Wall Street has already given its seal of approval to Disney’s new move, sending the share up nearly 6% in after hours trading.

Disney’s announcement follows a significant reorganization of its release schedule to address new realities including a collapsing theatrical release business; production issues; and the runaway success of its streaming service — all caused or accelerated by the national failure to effectively address the COVID-19 pandemic.

Planned theatrical releases of would-be tentpole films like “Black Widow” have been rescheduled, while other films including “Mulan” and the upcoming Pixar film “Soul” are seeing their first runs on Disney’s streaming service, Disney+.

Production of new material for Disney’s many provinces of intellectual property will fall under three groups — Studios, General Entertainment, and Sports. Leadership of these groups won’t change with Alan F. Horn and Alan Bergman, Peter Rice and James Pitaro maintaining their respective positions within the organization, the company said.

Overseeing operations for this singularly large new operational structure will be Kareem Daniel, who previously helmed the company’s consumer products, games and publishing operations.

All of the men will report up to Bob Chapek, the company’s chief executive officer.

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” Chapek said in a statement. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it. Our creative teams will concentrate on what they do best—making world-class, franchise-based content—while our newly centralized global distribution team will focus on delivering and monetizing that content in the most optimal way across all platforms, including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and the coming Star international streaming service.”

Studios will run all of the company’s development activities for live action and animated productions coming from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures.

General Entertainment will serve the same function for the company’s 20th Television and ABC Signature and Touchstone Television productions, along with its news divisions, Disney channels, Freeform, FX, and National Geographic.

Sports will focus on ESPN and sports productions including live events, and original, and non-scripted sports related material for cable channels, ESPN+ and ABC, the company said.

Overseeing the monetization, distribution, operations, sales, advertising and data and technology infrastructure for all of those groups will be Daniel. A longtime Disney executive, he formerly served as the head of the company’s Imagineering Operations, taking intellectual property and turning it into entertainment for the vast empire of Disney resorts and theme parks, before taking over the consumer products, games and publishing operations at the company.

“Kareem is an exceptionally talented, innovative and forward-looking leader, with a strong track record for developing and implementing successful global content distribution and commercialization strategies,” said Chapek. “As we now look to rapidly grow our direct-to-consumer business, a key focus will be delivering and monetizing our great content in the most optimal way possible, and I can think of no one better suited to lead this effort than Kareem. His wealth of experience will enable him to effectively bring together the Company’s distribution, advertising, marketing and sales functions, thereby creating a distribution powerhouse that will serve all of Disney’s media and entertainment businesses.”

The new structure is effective immediately, and the Company expects to transition to financial reporting under this structure in the first quarter of fiscal 2021.

The Company will hold a virtual Investor Day on December 10, where it will present further details of its direct-to-consumer strategies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...streaming/amp/
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:51 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yep. A Drive in near me, which is probably about 5 years old was thriving this summer. I went once and they had everyone spaced out. It was a very nice experience.
Our drive-in here is always busy.
[Reply]
lewdog 04:57 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Our drive-in here is always busy.
Yeah, Iowa is usually about 2-3 decades behind.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:30 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Oh great, Pearl Jam and Nirvana is about to kill hair metal at Lake Okoboji. Wonderful.
[Reply]
eDave 07:06 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
:-)

Damn dude. I felt that burn all the way over here in Ahwatukee.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:21 AM 10-18-2020
This is kinda cool. Would probably do this with a group of friends for any good releases...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/busin...rnd/index.html

Originally Posted by :
A crisp Benjamin Franklin can get you your own private AMC movie theater.

AMC Theatres joins a handful of cinemas letting customers rent out auditoriums for private screenings -- a growing trend due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

AMC allows rentals of up to 20 people. According to its website, rates start at $99, excluding tax, and increase to $349 depending on the movie, the theater's location and any other add-ons like food and drink. AMC's FAQ page lists renting a microphone to greet guests as an extra $100 charge, while more time to enteran auditorium, beyond the standard 15 minutes, will cost another $250.

[Reply]
Simply Red 09:51 AM 10-18-2020
They'll (theaters) go through a dark period - then will make a giant comeback. I'm not worried.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:13 PM 10-18-2020
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/d...ng-1234796386/

Dan Loeb believes that The Walt Disney Company could conquer the world of streaming. But it hasn’t yet, and it might need some help.

The activist investor argued in a letter to Disney CEO Bob Chapek on Wednesday that Disney must double the amount of money it spends producing and acquiring content for Disney Plus, ESPN Plus and Hulu if it wants to catch up with one of its biggest rivals, Netflix.

Bolstering the number of paying customers will only come if Disney Plus expands its array of premium content — the service saw subscriptions rise last summer with the release of Lin Manuel Miranda’s “Hamilton” and Beyonce’s “Black is King.”

“What Netflix has is this immense subscriber base that allows it to invest in an enormous amount of content and amortize that to get more subscribers,” Loeb said. “Disney isn’t there yet, but they need to get there as quickly as possible. If they don’t get critical mass in their subscriber base, they will be permanently disadvantaged versus Netflix.”

To that end, Loeb said he’d like to see Disney premiere several upcoming Marvel and Pixar blockbusters that it moved into 2021 on Disney Plus as a way to attract new subscribers and retain current customers.

“My understanding is that the old-line executives don’t want to go over the top with their big tentpole movies, which is why they announced they were pushing ‘Black Widow” and other movies to 2021,” Loeb said. “I don’t think they appreciate the tiger they have by the tail, which is to say the value they can drive by moving into a subscription model, which has been adopted by everyone from Microsoft to Amazon. It’s so value accretive.”
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:10 PM 10-18-2020
He's right you know.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:29 PM 10-18-2020
Every studio, save Netflix of course, has completely undervalued streaming.

In late November 2019 Disney+ was hoping to launch with 5 million customers and their initial goal was to hit 60 million by 2023.

They launched to 10 million and had more than 50 million subs less than six months later. They’ve already topped 100 million and they haven’t fully launched in every country.

Once COVID is completely under control, Disney+ is going to absolutely slay with a ton of new Star Wars and Marvel TV and Film entries and I think they’ll surpass Netflix before 2026 in terms over overall subscribers.

Movies theaters will go the way of the Drive-In in the next decade or less. There will still be a few theaters in each city, mostly for Art House films and special events but the days of multiplexes, especially dozens of multiplexes in larger cities, is coming to an end.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:34 PM 10-18-2020
What’s really dumb is that Disney+ is $6.99 a month while HBO Max is $14.99 a month.

HBO doesn’t even offer programs in UHD, let alone 4K, and their catalog is very limited.

Paramount Plus has Star Trek projects planned out to 2027 and it’s pretty clear that they’re planning to use it as their anchor.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:01 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Every studio, save Netflix of course, has completely undervalued streaming.

In late November 2019 Disney+ was hoping to launch with 5 million customers and their initial goal was to hit 60 million by 2023.

They launched to 10 million and had more than 50 million subs less than six months later. They’ve already topped 100 million and they haven’t fully launched in every country.

Once COVID is completely under control, Disney+ is going to absolutely slay with a ton of new Star Wars and Marvel TV and Film entries and I think they’ll surpass Netflix before 2026 in terms over overall subscribers.

Movies theaters will go the way of the Drive-In in the next decade or less. There will still be a few theaters in each city, mostly for Art House films and special events but the days of multiplexes, especially dozens of multiplexes in larger cities, is coming to an end.
The future of Netflix is interesting. They built their user base on being the one-stop shop for nearly everything. As the market has changed and more and more content producers have developed their own streaming services, they've made the hard switch to self-produced content but will it be enough to hold off the big guys?

I wouldn't bank on it.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:51 PM 10-18-2020
I understand the obvious draw to streaming, but I think it sucks. Blockbusters are best viewed in IMAX or Prime theaters - you can't duplicate the sound and immersion of the experience while sharing it with hundreds of other people. Give me my blockbusters in a blockbuster level viewing experience.

Of course, I'm sure there were old farts screaming about how sound could never get any better than coming out of a phonograph, too. Lol
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:54 PM 10-18-2020
The future of Netflix is interesting. They built their user base on being the one-stop shop for nearly everything. As the market has changed and more and more content producers have developed their own streaming services, they've made the hard switch to self-produced content but will it be enough to hold off the big guys?

I wouldn't bank on it.
Great post.

Netflix has some really good content. But I’m not sure it’s good enough as others enter the market.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:26 PM 10-18-2020
I wouldn't bank on it.
There will come a day when Disney is the largest streamer in the world but Netflix isn’t going anywhere. They’re doing huge budget blockbusters with every movie star in the world and basically own the stand up comedy scene.

They’re making more and better films than Sony, Universal, Paramount and Warner Brothers combined and they’re the destination for awesome TV series.

Netflix hired a new VP of Animation, whom they hired away from Disney after 25 years recently, too.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:28 PM 10-18-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Great post.

Netflix has some really good content. But I’m not sure it’s good enough as others enter the market.
They've got a ton of exclusive content, some of it great, some of it not.

The big thing is having "name recognition" that will bring on new subscribers. They have a lot of their own IP but not a lot of stuff based on household names.

All of their competitors do to some extent and Disney has the most.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 7
< 12345 67 >
Up