ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Disney announces 100% focus on streaming. The death of movie theaters?
Deberg_1990 05:21 PM 10-12-2020
Hmmm.

Disney is going all-in on streaming media.

On Monday, the company announced a massive reorganization of its media and entertainment business that will focus on developing productions that will debut on its streaming and broadcast services. Disney’s media businesses, ads, and distribution, and Disney+ will now operate under the same business unit, the company said.

Its major reorganization comes just days after activist investor Dan Loeb, a major investor in the company through his Third Point Capital hedge fund, called on Disney to cancel its dividend and redirect more investments into streaming.

Wall Street has already given its seal of approval to Disney’s new move, sending the share up nearly 6% in after hours trading.

Disney’s announcement follows a significant reorganization of its release schedule to address new realities including a collapsing theatrical release business; production issues; and the runaway success of its streaming service — all caused or accelerated by the national failure to effectively address the COVID-19 pandemic.

Planned theatrical releases of would-be tentpole films like “Black Widow” have been rescheduled, while other films including “Mulan” and the upcoming Pixar film “Soul” are seeing their first runs on Disney’s streaming service, Disney+.

Production of new material for Disney’s many provinces of intellectual property will fall under three groups — Studios, General Entertainment, and Sports. Leadership of these groups won’t change with Alan F. Horn and Alan Bergman, Peter Rice and James Pitaro maintaining their respective positions within the organization, the company said.

Overseeing operations for this singularly large new operational structure will be Kareem Daniel, who previously helmed the company’s consumer products, games and publishing operations.

All of the men will report up to Bob Chapek, the company’s chief executive officer.

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” Chapek said in a statement. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it. Our creative teams will concentrate on what they do best—making world-class, franchise-based content—while our newly centralized global distribution team will focus on delivering and monetizing that content in the most optimal way across all platforms, including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and the coming Star international streaming service.”

Studios will run all of the company’s development activities for live action and animated productions coming from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures.

General Entertainment will serve the same function for the company’s 20th Television and ABC Signature and Touchstone Television productions, along with its news divisions, Disney channels, Freeform, FX, and National Geographic.

Sports will focus on ESPN and sports productions including live events, and original, and non-scripted sports related material for cable channels, ESPN+ and ABC, the company said.

Overseeing the monetization, distribution, operations, sales, advertising and data and technology infrastructure for all of those groups will be Daniel. A longtime Disney executive, he formerly served as the head of the company’s Imagineering Operations, taking intellectual property and turning it into entertainment for the vast empire of Disney resorts and theme parks, before taking over the consumer products, games and publishing operations at the company.

“Kareem is an exceptionally talented, innovative and forward-looking leader, with a strong track record for developing and implementing successful global content distribution and commercialization strategies,” said Chapek. “As we now look to rapidly grow our direct-to-consumer business, a key focus will be delivering and monetizing our great content in the most optimal way possible, and I can think of no one better suited to lead this effort than Kareem. His wealth of experience will enable him to effectively bring together the Company’s distribution, advertising, marketing and sales functions, thereby creating a distribution powerhouse that will serve all of Disney’s media and entertainment businesses.”

The new structure is effective immediately, and the Company expects to transition to financial reporting under this structure in the first quarter of fiscal 2021.

The Company will hold a virtual Investor Day on December 10, where it will present further details of its direct-to-consumer strategies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...streaming/amp/
[Reply]
Bowser 09:27 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
AMC saying they are going to run out of money by the end of the year

https://www.kmbc.com/article/amc-the...vOUzaRwxfNNZB8
Welp, guess I better get to AMC to see Tenet in IMAX while I can.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:30 AM 10-13-2020
I love the social aspect of being in a big room with tons of people and watching a movie on a giant screen with the best possible sound setup. This is going to really suck.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:34 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
I'm curious if theaters do die out for the most part, will sound editing for film be tailored more toward a home theater experience?
Nearly every film ever made, along with nearly TV series, have already been remixed and re-mastered in 5.1 and most are in 7.1 surround.

Newer TV's have a sensor that determines how those sources are decoded, using either the ARC or Optical inputs, and should automatically choose the right setting.

If not, you should be able to manually adjust those settings.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:36 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
I love the social aspect of being in a big room with tons of people and watching a movie on a giant screen with the best possible sound setup. This is going to really suck.
Yea me too. There are always drawbacks like if you sit around someone who is rude, but overall i do enjoy going to a theater for first run stuff.

The younger generation, i dont know? My kids go, but they probably would just as soon watch streaming where they are able to pause and come back anytime they want.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:47 AM 10-13-2020
Yea me too. There are always drawbacks like if you sit around someone who is rude, but overall i do enjoy going to a theater for first run stuff.

The younger generation, i dont know? My kids go, but they probably would just as soon watch streaming where they are able to pause and come back anytime they want.
Movie theaters will stay closed in Los Angeles through at least Q3 2021, if not Q1 2022, so it will be interesting to see how they fare after being closed for nearly two years.

By that point, viewing habits may be irreversible, leaving only a few theaters in each major city.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:05 AM 10-13-2020
I like movie theaters, but the last movie I went to had that 'total movie experience' where we got burgers and stuff, and it cost us over $100 for two people to see a movie. Granted, it was a movie and a meal (bugers and fries), but we were both questioning the value for the dollar afterwards.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:13 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I like movie theaters, but the last movie I went to had that 'total movie experience' where we got burgers and stuff, and it cost us over $100 for two people to see a movie. Granted, it was a movie and a meal (bugers and fries), but we were both questioning the value for the dollar afterwards.
Yea. I’m not a big fan of servers running in front of you and eating dinner food while watching a movie. But a lot of people seem to like it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 AM 10-13-2020
Yea. I’m not a big fan of servers running in front of you and eating dinner food while watching a movie. But a lot of people seem to like it.
I love it.

I've been to a handful of movies in the last 2-3 years, all of them at a brewhouse that serves pub food and craft beers.

I don't even do regular movie theaters anymore.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:28 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Movie theaters will stay closed in Los Angeles through at least Q3 2021, if not Q1 2022, so it will be interesting to see how they fare after being closed for nearly two years.

By that point, viewing habits may be irreversible, leaving only a few theaters in each major city.
They just built a huge plex over here with reclining seats, a wine bar, and Starbucks. It's weird seeing it shuttered. I would imagine it will be bankrupt before it reopens.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:57 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
They just built a huge plex over here with reclining seats, a wine bar, and Starbucks. It's weird seeing it shuttered. I would imagine it will be bankrupt before it reopens.
With the advent of extremely affordable 65"+ QLED TV's, amazing wireless 2.1 and 5.1 surround systems and home theaters, it's been borderline irresponsible for corporations to invest in huge cineplexes around the country because viewing habits had already begun to change rapidly beginning in 2015, which has only been accelerated in 2020.

Internet speeds will only increase in the coming years, as will TV resolutions and even though there's no content at this point in time, 8K TV's are already available. While I can still see a few marquee theater chains have success with larger seating theaters, especially IMAX theaters, the days of 10 to 20 multiplexes being sold out each weekend are nearing its end or over.

The Paramount Decree was ended earlier this year as well, so we'll probably see a fundamental shift in movie theater presentations, with smaller chains bowing out altogether, while some of the larger chains shutdown many of their multiplexes.

The consequences of such closures may also lead to Disney, Universal, Warner Brothers, Paramount and Sony opening up IMAX and other large theaters that would show their specific movies only, something that was made illegal in 1948 but is legal, once again.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:03 PM 10-13-2020
They are happy watching enertainment on a computer monitor.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 12:07 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I actually don’t care for going to the movies outside of loving the popcorn. I’ll eat an entire large bag myself and proceed to hot box my wife the rest of the day with rancid farts.
Do you ever make her spread her legs, fart directly into her pussy, then perform oral sex on her?
[Reply]
dj56dt58 12:15 PM 10-13-2020
I don't understand popcorn/snacks at the theatre..I personally can do without. My wife and kids have to have popcorn ect but I've never understood people just throwing in snacks with the cost of a ticket like they just have to have fucking popcorn everytime you go to the movies. The sounds of people fucking with their snacks during a movie is fucking annoying anyway. Eat something before you go and save your money
[Reply]
eDave 12:18 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I actually don’t care for going to the movies outside of loving the popcorn. I’ll eat an entire large bag myself and proceed to hot box my wife the rest of the day with rancid farts.
Not a theater goer either, unless it's live. I go to AMC and get a popcorn to go. It's way better than Harkins They'll let you right in for that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:58 PM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
They are happy watching enertainment on a computer monitor.
Computer monitor?

My kids watch feature films on their phones!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up