ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Media Center>Disney announces 100% focus on streaming. The death of movie theaters?
Deberg_1990 05:21 PM 10-12-2020
Hmmm.

Disney is going all-in on streaming media.

On Monday, the company announced a massive reorganization of its media and entertainment business that will focus on developing productions that will debut on its streaming and broadcast services. Disney’s media businesses, ads, and distribution, and Disney+ will now operate under the same business unit, the company said.

Its major reorganization comes just days after activist investor Dan Loeb, a major investor in the company through his Third Point Capital hedge fund, called on Disney to cancel its dividend and redirect more investments into streaming.

Wall Street has already given its seal of approval to Disney’s new move, sending the share up nearly 6% in after hours trading.

Disney’s announcement follows a significant reorganization of its release schedule to address new realities including a collapsing theatrical release business; production issues; and the runaway success of its streaming service — all caused or accelerated by the national failure to effectively address the COVID-19 pandemic.

Planned theatrical releases of would-be tentpole films like “Black Widow” have been rescheduled, while other films including “Mulan” and the upcoming Pixar film “Soul” are seeing their first runs on Disney’s streaming service, Disney+.

Production of new material for Disney’s many provinces of intellectual property will fall under three groups — Studios, General Entertainment, and Sports. Leadership of these groups won’t change with Alan F. Horn and Alan Bergman, Peter Rice and James Pitaro maintaining their respective positions within the organization, the company said.

Overseeing operations for this singularly large new operational structure will be Kareem Daniel, who previously helmed the company’s consumer products, games and publishing operations.

All of the men will report up to Bob Chapek, the company’s chief executive officer.

“Given the incredible success of Disney+ and our plans to accelerate our direct-to-consumer business, we are strategically positioning our Company to more effectively support our growth strategy and increase shareholder value,” Chapek said in a statement. “Managing content creation distinct from distribution will allow us to be more effective and nimble in making the content consumers want most, delivered in the way they prefer to consume it. Our creative teams will concentrate on what they do best—making world-class, franchise-based content—while our newly centralized global distribution team will focus on delivering and monetizing that content in the most optimal way across all platforms, including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and the coming Star international streaming service.”

Studios will run all of the company’s development activities for live action and animated productions coming from Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures.

General Entertainment will serve the same function for the company’s 20th Television and ABC Signature and Touchstone Television productions, along with its news divisions, Disney channels, Freeform, FX, and National Geographic.

Sports will focus on ESPN and sports productions including live events, and original, and non-scripted sports related material for cable channels, ESPN+ and ABC, the company said.

Overseeing the monetization, distribution, operations, sales, advertising and data and technology infrastructure for all of those groups will be Daniel. A longtime Disney executive, he formerly served as the head of the company’s Imagineering Operations, taking intellectual property and turning it into entertainment for the vast empire of Disney resorts and theme parks, before taking over the consumer products, games and publishing operations at the company.

“Kareem is an exceptionally talented, innovative and forward-looking leader, with a strong track record for developing and implementing successful global content distribution and commercialization strategies,” said Chapek. “As we now look to rapidly grow our direct-to-consumer business, a key focus will be delivering and monetizing our great content in the most optimal way possible, and I can think of no one better suited to lead this effort than Kareem. His wealth of experience will enable him to effectively bring together the Company’s distribution, advertising, marketing and sales functions, thereby creating a distribution powerhouse that will serve all of Disney’s media and entertainment businesses.”

The new structure is effective immediately, and the Company expects to transition to financial reporting under this structure in the first quarter of fiscal 2021.

The Company will hold a virtual Investor Day on December 10, where it will present further details of its direct-to-consumer strategies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcru...streaming/amp/
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:03 PM 10-12-2020
Well, Disney isn't focusing solely on Disney+ but they've made it their priority over theatrical releases.

And just as I've been saying, COVID-19 accelerated these plans to move over to the streaming world, which is why we've seen Disney+ release feature films that were initially set for theatrical releases.

The Peacock is not only hosting all of NBC's content but making TV series and films directly for that streamer, bypassing NBC or any of its subsidiaries like USA Network, Bravo!, etc.

Paramount Plus, which is set to launch in Q1 2021 will also offer more new series, mini-series and movies that won't appear on CBS.

The future has arrived. Earlier than anticipated.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:42 PM 10-12-2020
Ain’t never paying $30 to see a movie.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:59 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
It's $18 dollars a ticket in Los Angeles plus an average of $5 dollars for parking.

I'll pay $30 dollars any day of the week for a Disney/Marvel/Star Wars movie that would have cost me at least $77 dollars in a theater.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:07 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
If it’s just you alone sitting and watching it’s probably not worth it.

if it’s like a family of 4 on a typical Friday/ Saturday night totally worth it.

That’s probably $60-70 bucks easily if you throw in snacks.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:20 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
That’s probably $60-70 bucks easily if you throw in snacks.
It's closer to $125 in LA.

A bucket of popcorn is $12 dollars.
[Reply]
JD10367 08:53 PM 10-12-2020
Movies have been dying since the 80s. Even since 2000 I saw the lines at my theater shrink; it used to sell out half of its 16 screens on a weekend, and before Rona it was lucky to have one sold out show on Friday and Saturday night. Most films don’t need to be seen in a theater or with a crowd. Tent pole action/sci-fi films can do fine by sticking to giant screen single theaters like Imax and it’s competitors. No one wants to pay $10+ a ticket and $8 for a bowl of 50¢ popcorn and $5 for a 50¢ soda.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:20 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by JD10367:
No one wants to pay $10+ a ticket and $8 for a bowl of 50¢ popcorn and $5 for a 50¢ soda.
I’d be more than happy to pay those prices.

I just don’t want to pay $19.99 for a “Budget Pack” that includes a medium drink, popcorn and candy for each of my kids after paying $18 per ticket (before “convenience fee”) and at least five dollars to park.

If we to have a meal before or after, add at least another $5 to the parking.

$30 dollars for a Disney+ Premium streaming movie is a bargain.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:57 PM 10-12-2020
Think movie 'theaters' were already dying. Sucks, because i like watching movies at the theater sometimes. But they were having serious $$$ issues before the fake "pandemic."
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:30 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
$30 dollars for a Disney+ Premium streaming movie is a bargain.
Its just me and the wife. Not a bargain for me. Families, sure I can see it being a bargain.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:38 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Think movie 'theaters' were already dying. Sucks, because i like watching movies at the theater sometimes. But they were having serious $$$ issues before the fake "pandemic."
In my area they were thriving. Tons of those new arcade/bowling/restaurant/bar/theaters places with the biggest modern screens.

They are open here in Texas, but barely getting by. Mostly playing Tenet and a ton of those second rate movies that would normally be direct to VOD.
[Reply]
bowener 09:08 AM 10-13-2020
I'm curious if theaters do die out for the most part, will sound editing for film be tailored more toward a home theater experience?
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:08 AM 10-13-2020
AMC saying they are going to run out of money by the end of the year

https://www.kmbc.com/article/amc-the...vOUzaRwxfNNZB8
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10-13-2020, 09:15 AM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
DaneMcCloud 09:18 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
In my area they were thriving. Tons of those new arcade/bowling/restaurant/bar/theaters places with the biggest modern screens.

They are open here in Texas, but barely getting by. Mostly playing Tenet and a ton of those second rate movies that would normally be direct to VOD.
Yeah, theaters are always packed in Los Angeles as well.

If theaters were open in LA and NY, studios wouldn’t be shifting to a PVOD model but in reality, COVID just sped up the inevitable.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:22 AM 10-13-2020
I actually don’t care for going to the movies outside of loving the popcorn. I’ll eat an entire large bag myself and proceed to hot box my wife the rest of the day with rancid farts.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up