ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Media Center>Best video game based movies
Raiderhater 06:41 PM 10-10-2020
I’m sitting here giving Resident Evil a rewatch (Milla Jovavich FTW) and it’s got me thinking about video game based movies that are good, and those that aren’t. RE I consider rather good. Hitman is entertaining. The Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider was only so so, and I haven’t seen the new one. Max Payne was quite disappointing. And from what little I can remember of it, I feel like the Super Mario Bros movie was bad, especially by today’s standards.

Those are a few to get the discussion started. What are the hits and misses in everyone’s opinions?
[Reply]
lcarus 06:48 PM 10-10-2020
Resident Evil was decent. Not really good as a RE movie but it was ok as just a horror flick. The second RE had the most potential but it wasn't very good. Then the series went downhill quickly.

When the trailers for Silent Hill came out, I was convinced we were finally gonna get a great video game movie. I'm a gigantic Silent Hill fan and I was pretty excited. Unfortunately it was not great. The sequel is pretty awful as well.

Honestly the best video game movie ever is probably the first Mortal Kombat.

I hope they get around to making that Bioshock series. So much damn potential to make a great multi-season show out of that.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:06 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Resident Evil was decent. Not really good as a RE movie but it was ok as just a horror flick. The second RE had the most potential but it wasn't very good. Then the series went downhill quickly.

When the trailers for Silent Hill came out, I was convinced we were finally gonna get a great video game movie. I'm a gigantic Silent Hill fan and I was pretty excited. Unfortunately it was not great. The sequel is pretty awful as well.

I hope they get around to making that Bioshock series. So much damn potential to make a great multi-season show out of that.

This a good point and distinction. By comparison, Max Payne failed as a video game movie and just as a movie in general. So this subject is going to have a lot of qualifiers involved.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:07 PM 10-10-2020
Jumanji. :-)
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:12 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Jumanji. :-)
Smart ass. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:14 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Smart ass. :-)
In all seriousness, I haven't seen any movies based on real video games that were any good.

For the most part, I haven't played many games based on real movies that were that great either.

I don't think there's great synergy there.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:20 PM 10-10-2020
Does Tron count?
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:23 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
In all seriousness, I haven't seen any movies based on real video games that were any good.

For the most part, I haven't played many games based on real movies that were that great either.

I don't think there's great synergy there.
Yeah, that’s pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to as well. And that means this topic will either see a decent amount of discussion due the differences or was dead the moment I hit submit. But the films are out there so there they can be considered for what they are, if anyone is so inclined.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:26 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Does Tron count?
If Jumanji does Tron does. Better throw The Matrix in there as well. :-)
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 07:27 PM 10-10-2020
This is kinda the opposite direction, but Jaccob’s Ladder inspired the Silent Hill series, and it’s a fantastic movie.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:59 PM 10-10-2020
I liked Warcraft.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:18 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
If Jumanji does Tron does. Better throw The Matrix in there as well. :-)
I actually enjoyed playing that light-bike game as a little kid. [at least for the time I spent in the Venture electronics department while mom/pop shopped].
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:24 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:

Bio shock would be amazing (done right of course).

Isn’t an Uncharted movie on the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Pants 08:25 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I liked Warcraft.
Yup. Was about to bring that one up too.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 08:30 PM 10-10-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I actually enjoyed playing that light-bike game as a little kid. [at least for the time I spent in the Venture electronics department while mom/pop shopped].
I was only a year old when the movie came out so I missed out that game.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up