ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:17 AM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Surprisingly, some people can't even see the Motion Smoothing (my parents being some of those people) while it can literally make other people nauseous.
Yea, i guess my eyes have been tricked? Ive been using it for years and can no longer really see the effect. But others that come over like family can see it right away.

I enabled it on my new LG TV and cant really see much of a difference yet??
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:16 AM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea, i guess my eyes have been tricked? Ive been using it for years and can no longer really see the effect. But others that come over like family can see it right away.

I enabled it on my new LG TV and cant really see much of a difference yet??
It's very much a thing that isn't visible to everybody. Some people notice motion blur and some don't.

First thing I do personally when I buy a new TV I go in and turn stuff on or off based on RTings recommendations. And it's not just motion blur and stuff like that.

Every manufacturer has bells and whistles that they use as marketing differentiators. Many of them are worthless at best and really nasty on the eyes at worst. For example, pretty much every TV in the store is set on the absolute brightest and sharpest setting it has because they want you to see them.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 10:58 AM 10-07-2020
Never should of checked this thread, now I’m researching new TVs. Momma might not be happy to see a new tv on the wall in a few days.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:27 AM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Never should of checked this thread, now I’m researching new TVs. Momma might not be happy to see a new tv on the wall in a few days.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to back out of that rabbit hole. TV's have gotten to where you can get a pretty big TV for a reasonable price.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 12:22 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah, it's pretty hard to back out of that rabbit hole. TV's have gotten to where you can get a pretty big TV for a reasonable price.
Yeah, just found a TCL on Amazon that I am about to order. 65” 5 Series 4K UHD QLED Roku Smart TV for $630. That would replace the one we have in our living room, or maybe the back room, or I order one this month then another next month to replace both.

FUCK, this might get expensive
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:24 PM 10-07-2020
LOL Buckle up mac.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 10-07-2020, 12:32 PM
This message has been deleted by Perineum Ripper.
Perineum Ripper 12:37 PM 10-07-2020

[Reply]
SuperChief 01:03 PM 10-07-2020
I bought my 40" Sony Bravia 1080p in 2009 for around $750. Times, they have changed!
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:24 PM 10-07-2020
I paid $2000 for a highly-rated Vizio TV in 2015. Keep in mind despite the ratings, Vizio was still very much a "discount" brand at the time.

In January of 2019, my wife replaced an old 55" LG with a 75" LG for $1300 and in November, I bought my 75" TCL for $1100.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 01:31 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I paid $2000 for a highly-rated Vizio TV in 2015. Keep in mind despite the ratings, Vizio was still very much a "discount" brand at the time.

In January of 2019, my wife replaced an old 55" LG with a 75" LG for $1300 and in November, I bought my 75" TCL for $1100.
I really like Vizio, I would have bought another one but the talk about TCL in here made me give those a shot. Vizio is actually the only brand of tv I have bought since around 2008
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:36 PM 10-07-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
I really like Vizio, I would have bought another one but the talk about TCL in here made me give those a shot. Vizio is actually the only brand of tv I have bought since around 2008
I looked at Vizio and their prices have held pretty steady as others have dropped. Their specs haven't improved enough to be worth the price. In fact, some of the discount manufacturers like TCL and HiSense are making sets better than Vizio and they include Roku. The Vizio smart software is pretty poor (in fact the software on my TV was so poor it wasn't even useable, I had to have an external device).
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:19 PM 10-12-2020
Not sure if anyone's experienced something similar but I'm having issues with sound dropping in and out on an LG tv using an arc port to a Sonos soundbar. Does it with both cable and apps. Worked great for 4 months or so and just started happening. I'll try swapping out the cable but I'm not optimistic.

Seems to be known issue with LG from what I gather online. Sound test and internal speakers work fine on the tv and since its not connecting to a LG sound setup there doesn't seem much they're willing to do.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:15 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

Yeah, it's funny how fast "tech" comes down after the first few years. In 2010 we bought a 65" Sharp Aquos for (if memory serves) $1700? And that was from COSTCO. It's still going strong - Sharp as the day we bought it - but now? $700......I guess that means that when this one eventually dies - we'll have to go to the 80" model........ :-)

I recall one day - the Wife had some of her friends over for something or the other, so I went downstairs to watch the "original" 27" TV for College football.........Holy shit!! I could barely see the damned screen.....imagine.....
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 08:16 PM 10-14-2020
Sony XBR-65A8G 65 Inch TV: BRAVIA OLED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with HDR and Alexa Compatibility - 2019 Mode

$1,499 on Amazon Prime day deal
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:21 PM 11-05-2020
I’m now looking at the Hisense class H9 instead of the TCL class 6. Is rtings.com the best site for reviews?
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up