ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:38 AM 10-05-2020
If you have the "point anywhere" remote (like the one with voice control, keep in mind that it uses a private 2.4Ghz network. Interference is problematic for sure.

And yes, HDR gaming on the TCL is a thing of beauty. That's why I bought mine.
[Reply]
SuperChief 01:06 PM 10-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Have you tried using the Roku app on your phone or smart device? Something isn't adding up. I just checked 4 of our Roku TV's, including the same model you purchased, and the remote and TV respond quickly and in real time. I don't notice any latency at all.

I'm kind of wondering if there's some sort of electrical interference on the frequency the Roku remote is using, which could come from anywhere, especially if you're in multi-family housing. There's definitely something going on because this isn't the first time you've had this specific issues.

That said, I spoke to a TV Tech while in line last summer at Costco and he told me that I'd extend the life of my TV and electronics by using a standalone Roku as opposed to the internal Roku, so you may come out ahead in the long run.

I am so glad that the picture met or exceeded your expectations!

:-)
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
If you have the "point anywhere" remote (like the one with voice control, keep in mind that it uses a private 2.4Ghz network. Interference is problematic for sure.

And yes, HDR gaming on the TCL is a thing of beauty. That's why I bought mine.
It's a wash for me. I prefer the Fire TV UI anyway, so it's all good.

I am so damn impressed with this TV. I watched Black Panther on it last night and the colors are so vivid and vibrant. Thanks again for the recommendation, fellas. And also thanks to whoever shared the rtings.com website!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:06 PM 10-05-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
It's a wash for me. I prefer the Fire TV UI anyway, so it's all good.

I am so damn impressed with this TV. I watched Black Panther on it last night and the colors are so vivid and vibrant. Thanks again for the recommendation, fellas. And also thanks to whoever shared the rtings.com website!
Okay, cool!

There's nothing worse than highly recommending a product, only to see that person have a bad experience.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:43 AM 10-06-2020
Okay, cool!

There's nothing worse than highly recommending a product, only to see that person have a bad experience.
Yep. Same here.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:07 AM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Dang. Please keep us updated on performance. That's a crazy price point.
Finally got the replacement last night and set it up. Outstanding picture. Still haven’t had time to play with all the settings. Tons of apps within LGs App Store. Plus LG offers a bunch of free channels.

My WiFi was acting a little flakey with it last night. Kept getting disconnected. I hope the WiFi card in it is good, I’ve never had any issues with my other WiFi devices in that same location.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:01 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Finally got the replacement last night and set it up. Outstanding picture. Still haven’t had time to play with all the settings. Tons of apps within LGs App Store. Plus LG offers a bunch of free channels.

My WiFi was acting a little flakey with it last night. Kept getting disconnected. I hope the WiFi card in it is good, I’ve never had any issues with my other WiFi devices in that same location.
My wife has an LG. And yes, the App Store is massive. I hate the interface itself but she can watch pretty much anything she wants.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:41 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
My wife has an LG. And yes, the App Store is massive. I hate the interface itself but she can watch pretty much anything she wants.
The CPU in the TV seems pretty good. The interface And switching between apps is fast and seamless
[Reply]
eDave 04:51 PM 10-06-2020
I personally can't stand 4K. Way to realistic to me. Getting used to it I suppose but find myself changing my picture mode down a lot.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:26 PM 10-06-2020
I personally can't stand 4K. Way to realistic to me. Getting used to it I suppose but find myself changing my picture mode down a lot.
Does your TV have any type of "Motion" setting and if so, has it been turned off?
[Reply]
eDave 05:34 PM 10-06-2020
Does your TV have any type of "Motion" setting and if so, has it been turned off?
I believe Natural does that. It's a Samsung, not too fancy. I'll have another look.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:45 PM 10-06-2020
I believe Natural does that. It's a Samsung, not too fancy. I'll have another look.
Generally speaking, Samsung's have some type of motion setting that's called "Motion Plus", which is absolutely nauseating to look at, IMO.

Not only does it destroy the original shot because the framing is gone, it gives all content that "Soap Opera" look.

Scorsese and Spielberg railed on these "Motion Smoothing" options recently and petitioned TV manufacturers to stop including them because they're absolutely ruining their art.
[Reply]
eDave 05:56 PM 10-06-2020
Generally speaking, Samsung's have some type of motion setting that's called "Motion Plus", which is absolutely nauseating to look at, IMO.

Not only does it destroy the original shot because the framing is gone, it gives all content that "Soap Opera" look.

Scorsese and Spielberg railed on these "Motion Smoothing" options recently and petitioned TV manufacturers to stop including them because they're absolutely ruining their art.
YES! That's exactly it. It's off-putting and distracting but I assume useful sometimes. Found it set to auto. Now it is off. Thanks so much.
[Reply]
candyman 05:59 PM 10-06-2020

Thanks. I've been annoyed by the same exact thing with my Samsung, looks so much better now. Why the fuck do they have that on as a default setting?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:15 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by candyman:
Thanks. I've been annoyed by the same exact thing with my Samsung, looks so much better now. Why the fuck do they have that on as a default setting?
Well, that's kind of a technical question but the reason why some TV manufacturers added that to their then High Definition TV's is because actual film speed is 23.98 fps while Digital Film shoots at an even 24 fps. Some of the engineers could apparently "see" the difference between Film and Digital after the conversion, so "Motion Smoothing" was invented to kind of "smear" the image so that people wouldn't be able to see the difference and manufacturers like Samsung have included it on their HD and now UHD TV's since before 2010.

Unfortunately, it caused this "Soap Opera" effect, which as I mentioned earlier, completely destroys "Blocking" and "Blocked Shots" that Directors took so much time to create and put on film. Surprisingly, some people can't even see the Motion Smoothing (my parents being some of those people) while it can literally make other people nauseous.

I'm glad I was able to help both you and Dave.
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:21 AM 10-07-2020
This is the worst fucking thing ever created. I'm one of those that find it nauseating. I want to watch content as close as possible to the way it was intended to be viewed.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 10
« First < 23456 78910 >
Up