ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:23 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Speed Queens are in laundry mats so I assume they last forever.
I don't necessarily expect an appliance to last forever but geez, I was absolutely shocked that Samsung discontinued replacement parts on an appliance that was less than 7 years old.

I mean, that's insane.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:47 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I had a repairman out last year to fix the Samsung washer and once he realized it was the main board said “I’m sorry, this can’t be repaired because Samsung stopped making the main board. A little piece of advice: Avoid Samsung at all costs.”.

I called around to every service center in the country along with some of those online parts places like AppliancepartsPros.com, which is awesome BTW, and no one had it.

My parents had three Samsung refrigerators fail in 4 months and finally gave up and went LG.
Research up on LG fridges. For awhile their design of compressors was ass and they’d last 2 years. I’m guessing they got it fixed but just be careful.

That being said I have a 12 year old LG fridge that *knock on wood* is good to go.

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
On washing machines, go Speed Queen. You'll likely not have to buy another one, maybe ever. They cost double, but are built to last for 20+ years, and are made in the USA. You'[ll probably buy 3 or 4 of most modern washers in that time frame.
My buddy is a GE dealer and bled GE. Wouldn’t buy anything that wasn’t profile. But has a speed queen. So does Buehler445 on account of it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:57 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma with TVs, myself.

I bought a 40" Sony Bravia in 2009 that still runs like a champ - it's my office/gaming tv at the moment. It works insanely well, and I've never had any issues with it whatsoever; however, I'm getting a PS5 soon and want to be able to take advantage of this upgrade in graphics. So I'll be in the market for a ~40" 4k tv soon, but....

1) I haven't had great experience with smart tvs that have built-in platforms like Fire TV or Roku. I currently have a 55" Toshiba smart 4k tv w/ Fire TV and it's slower than **** (probably because I'm constantly near the 5GB memory limit, but what can you do when it only holds, like, 10 ****ing apps).

2) I love Fire TV - I've had every generation of standalone Fire TV systems, and I just bought a Cube and it works great.

What this means is I'm looking for a non-smart 4k QLED or OLED 40" tv. Is that even an option in today's market?
There's probably some other there but not that I'm aware of.

I'm surprised you've had such good luck with Amazon Fire. I've had 3 of them in different hardware iterations and never had anything but trouble with them. We did have one of the Fire Stick HD's that was slow so out of the box, I sent it back. Literally 15-20 second delay after pushing a button on the remote. I never knew if the button push had actually registered.

We switched them out for Roku and never looked back.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:58 AM 10-01-2020
I don't think you'll be able to find a non-Smart TV these days that worth a crap but there are plenty of 40"-43" 4K Smart TV's available for less than $300 dollars.

We have six Smart TV's, all TCL Roku 4K's. I bought a 43" TCL 4K for my wife's office during the Christmas season of 2018 and the TV was dead out of the box, so I exchanged it the next day at Costco and haven't had an issue since. FYI, Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty and allows returns/exchanges for up to 2 years.

Personally, I absolutely love the picture and convenience of a Roku TV because once it's authorized, it downloads all of our apps automatically. The most time consuming aspect is authorizing all of those apps but even that's really quick these days because the CPU's are just so fast these days.

My latest TCL QLED boots so quickly that I barely even see it. I press power and BOOM! I'm at the home screen.
We have a 75" TCL Roku, a 40" TCL Roku and I have a Roku Express in my office. I love them.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10-01-2020, 11:01 AM
This message has been deleted by DaneMcCloud.
DaneMcCloud 11:08 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Research up on LG fridges. For awhile their design of compressors was ass and they’d last 2 years. I’m guessing they got it fixed but just be careful
Will do.

I actually chose to replace about $150 dollars in parts myself on my 17 year old GE fridge because literally everyone I know that's purchased an LG, Samsung or Kenmore has had problems, from the icemaker to the door unit not working properly and so on.

For those of you that aren't aware, appliancepartspros.com not only carries freakin' every single part available for every company that's still manufacturing replacement parts, they have videos on their website which show exactly how to replace each part. If you understand even the basics of how to use a screwdriver or socket set and so on, these parts are easily replaceable.

I've saved thousands in labor costs just in the past 10 months alone and cannot believe how simple it is to do so.
[Reply]
SuperChief 11:27 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There's probably some other there but not that I'm aware of.

I'm surprised you've had such good luck with Amazon Fire. I've had 3 of them in different hardware iterations and never had anything but trouble with them. We did have one of the Fire Stick HD's that was slow so out of the box, I sent it back. Literally 15-20 second delay after pushing a button on the remote. I never knew if the button push had actually registered.

We switched them out for Roku and never looked back.
I should have clarified - I did try the Stick, and it was garbage. But I still have my Gen 1 Fire TV and it works very well. And the Cube is great now, too. I'm glad you've had luck with Roku, but any Roku I've ever used is terrible. Slow, crazy lag, ugly UI. No thanks for me!

I'm looking at this tv now. Seems to fit what I'm looking for. Thoughts?
https://www.nfm.com/samsung-43-class...hd-4k-smart-tv
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:33 AM 10-01-2020
I should have clarified - I did try the Stick, and it was garbage. But I still have my Gen 1 Fire TV and it works very well. And the Cube is great now, too. I'm glad you've had luck with Roku, but any Roku I've ever used is terrible. Slow, crazy lag, ugly UI. No thanks for me!

I'm looking at this tv now. Seems to fit what I'm looking for. Thoughts?
https://www.nfm.com/samsung-43-class...hd-4k-smart-tv
Avoid Samsung at all cost. Also, that's too much money for a non-UHD TV, especially a TV that small.

It also sounds like you were using very early generation Roku's. I had a stick for a while back in 2016 and agree, it was clunky and lagged.

But the latest generation Roku TV's are so incredibly fast that there's no lag, no delay, no nothing - just a great performance and great picture for very little money.

Also, keep in mind that by choosing an LG or Samsung (do NOT choose Samsung), there's a very real possibility that the apps you use aren't available without a Roku or Amazon Fire.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:35 AM 10-01-2020

My latest TCL QLED boots so quickly that I barely even see it. I press power and BOOM! I'm at the home screen.
It probably never actually powers down, just turns off power to the screen,keeping the smart bit going all the time. Doesn't take much power to run the smart bits.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:39 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
It probably never actually powers down, just turns off power to the screen,keeping the smart bit going all the time. Doesn't take much power to run the smart bits.
Surprisingly, I actually turned that function off and it still goes to the home screen so quickly that I don't even see it boot. It's literally press the power button on the remote and boom, there's the home screen.

I wish it allowed me to specify which app to open upon pressing the power button but that's probably asking too much at this point in time.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:42 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Just bought this 75” LG today. I haven’t bought a new tv in nearly 9 years. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-75-c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Originally Posted by eDave:
Dang. Please keep us updated on performance. That's a crazy price point.
Just had it delivered a few hours ago. Got it setup, turned it on and it’s getting a sparkly line of color on one side with no picture. :-)

Hopefully they will deliver a new one within a few days.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:51 PM 10-01-2020
Will do.

I actually chose to replace about $150 dollars in parts myself on my 17 year old GE fridge because literally everyone I know that's purchased an LG, Samsung or Kenmore has had problems, from the icemaker to the door unit not working properly and so on.

For those of you that aren't aware, appliancepartspros.com not only carries freakin' every single part available for every company that's still manufacturing replacement parts, they have videos on their website which show exactly how to replace each part. If you understand even the basics of how to use a screwdriver or socket set and so on, these parts are easily replaceable.

I've saved thousands in labor costs just in the past 10 months alone and cannot believe how simple it is to do so.
Right on. Thanks.
[Reply]
SuperChief 01:36 PM 10-01-2020
Avoid Samsung at all cost. Also, that's too much money for a non-UHD TV, especially a TV that small.

It also sounds like you were using very early generation Roku's. I had a stick for a while back in 2016 and agree, it was clunky and lagged.

But the latest generation Roku TV's are so incredibly fast that there's no lag, no delay, no nothing - just a great performance and great picture for very little money.

Also, keep in mind that by choosing an LG or Samsung (do NOT choose Samsung), there's a very real possibility that the apps you use aren't available without a Roku or Amazon Fire.
Aight, you've swayed me. Now I'm looking at this one. Thoughts?
https://www.nfm.com/tcl-50-class-4k-...-roku-smart-tv
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:43 PM 10-01-2020
Aight, you've swayed me. Now I'm looking at this one. Thoughts?
https://www.nfm.com/tcl-50-class-4k-...-roku-smart-tv
That's the exact model I purchased and received last week. Costco has a ton of TCL TV's sitting at the port of Los Angeles and don't know when they're going to be released, so I purchased from Walmart.com because they offered next day delivery for free. Their price is $369.99.

The picture is phenomenal. Even my kids noticed the difference between the 2019 4K 75" TCL Roku TV in our family room, especially with 4K content such as Disney+, Movies Anywhere, Netflix, etc. The biggest surprise is that TCL has greatly improved the audio, so much so that in a smaller space, you may not even need a soundbar.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-50-Cl...S525/728982413
[Reply]
Fish 01:51 PM 10-01-2020
FYI... Roku doesn't support side loading of apps. No KODI, no Cinema, no Mobdro, etc. Dealbreaker if you use any of those regularly.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:53 PM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
FYI... Roku doesn't support side loading of apps. No KODI, no Cinema, no Mobdro, etc. Dealbreaker if you use any of those regularly.
Yeah, some of us don't need that kind of functionality. I'm a technical person and you're WAY more sophisticated than I am when it comes to TV.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up