ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:04 PM 09-29-2020
My parents had an issue with a Samsung fridge, it just is what it is, them and LG are both Korean companies so you get what you get.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:07 PM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
My parents had an issue with a Samsung fridge, it just is what it is, them and LG are both Korean companies so you get what you get.
We've been through multiple washers and dryers, both Samsung and LG, since our Maytag's died (after 20 years). We've been through 3 dishwashers. We have a Bosch now and it's lasted longer than the last 2 put together. We also have had an LG fridge fail but replaced it with a GE and haven't had any issues since.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:05 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I had a repairman out last year to fix the Samsung washer and once he realized it was the main board said “I’m sorry, this can’t be repaired because Samsung stopped making the main board. A little piece of advice: Avoid Samsung at all costs.”.

I called around to every service center in the country along with some of those online parts places like AppliancepartsPros.com, which is awesome BTW, and no one had it.

My parents had three Samsung refrigerators fail in 4 months and finally gave up and went LG.
On washing machines, go Speed Queen. You'll likely not have to buy another one, maybe ever. They cost double, but are built to last for 20+ years, and are made in the USA. You'[ll probably buy 3 or 4 of most modern washers in that time frame.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:24 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
On washing machines, go Speed Queen. You'll likely not have to buy another one, maybe ever. They cost double, but are built to last for 20+ years, and are made in the USA. You'[ll probably buy 3 or 4 of most modern washers in that time frame.
Truth.

There is quality out there if you look for it.

My wife makes and sells stuff and uses a sewing machine. After going through 3 or 4 "big box" Singer's in a couple of years, I went to a small quilting shop and did some research. I ended up buying her a Baby Lock (which I'd never heard of prior) and not only does it get glowing reviews from many old ladies that have used them for years, it came with a 25-year warranty. Yeah, it was 4x a high end Singer but so far, it's been worth it. She's already completed 2 projects that broke a regular machine.
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:44 AM 10-01-2020
I hate our Samsung fridge (brand new, came with the house). Its working fine but the design is aids. It has next to no door storage to accommodate the abundance of condiments required in America. So now there's mayos and mustards battling it out for space on the shelves with all the other stuff in there. It's like a game of Tetris trying to get to the one thing you're craving to put on a sandwich. So annoying.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:07 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I hate our Samsung fridge (brand new, came with the house). Its working fine but the design is aids. It has next to no door storage to accommodate the abundance of condiments required in America. So now there's mayos and mustards battling it out for space on the shelves with all the other stuff in there. It's like a game of Tetris trying to get to the one thing you're craving to put on a sandwich. So annoying.
That's all refrigerators and it's a uniquely American problem. :-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:10 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
That's all refrigerators and it's a uniquely American problem. :-)
I had a GE is my last place that fit my condiment needs fine. This Samsung is all style, little substance.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:14 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I had a GE is my last place that fit my condiment needs fine. This Samsung is all style, little substance.
The problem is that mayonaisse comes in 32oz jars.

That's not a condiment, it's a food group.

:-)
[Reply]
Gravedigger 07:51 AM 10-01-2020
My wife and I just bought a 75" Samsung Q80T television and it's pretty nice. Sound is surprisingly good without a soundbar, gets loud at around 15 - 20 volume. She says it looks fuzzier and grainier than our other television, but I haven't looked up preferred settings online to test and most of the time we're watching YouTube TV at 1080p, not 4k content. Was it $3000 nice, without warranty, with mounting services and mount? Possibly, obviously you'd rather pay less than $2000 for a TV, but it was on sale for $2600 for a 75" 4k QLED TV so I feel like it's worth it's money. We have a 65" Samsung 4K from 5 years ago and my wife says the picture looks better to her on that one so maybe 65" is the sweetspot for 1080p. The Tizen menu system is nicer on the 75" for sure, much snappier, and I appreciate that everything is now behind the TV instead of through the OneConnect box on the 65".
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:28 AM 10-01-2020
I'm in a bit of a dilemma with TVs, myself.

I bought a 40" Sony Bravia in 2009 that still runs like a champ - it's my office/gaming tv at the moment. It works insanely well, and I've never had any issues with it whatsoever; however, I'm getting a PS5 soon and want to be able to take advantage of this upgrade in graphics. So I'll be in the market for a ~40" 4k tv soon, but....

1) I haven't had great experience with smart tvs that have built-in platforms like Fire TV or Roku. I currently have a 55" Toshiba smart 4k tv w/ Fire TV and it's slower than **** (probably because I'm constantly near the 5GB memory limit, but what can you do when it only holds, like, 10 ****ing apps).

2) I love Fire TV - I've had every generation of standalone Fire TV systems, and I just bought a Cube and it works great.

What this means is I'm looking for a non-smart 4k QLED or OLED 40" tv. Is that even an option in today's market?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:22 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma with TVs, myself.

I bought a 40" Sony Bravia in 2009 that still runs like a champ - it's my office/gaming tv at the moment. It works insanely well, and I've never had any issues with it whatsoever; however, I'm getting a PS5 soon and want to be able to take advantage of this upgrade in graphics. So I'll be in the market for a ~40" 4k tv soon, but....

1) I haven't had great experience with smart tvs that have built-in platforms like Fire TV or Roku. I currently have a 55" Toshiba smart 4k tv w/ Fire TV and it's slower than **** (probably because I'm constantly near the 5GB memory limit, but what can you do when it only holds, like, 10 ****ing apps).

2) I love Fire TV - I've had every generation of standalone Fire TV systems, and I just bought a Cube and it works great.

What this means is I'm looking for a non-smart 4k QLED or OLED 40" tv. Is that even an option in today's market?
4K is pretty much wasted on a 40" TV/Monitor.

Though perhaps one of these might work for you. TV's without smart bits built in are scarce. You don't have to actually use the smart bits on most of them though.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch

ETA: From the reviews, the 43" Sony might be your best bet.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:06 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I don't think you'll be able to find a non-Smart TV these days that worth a crap but there are plenty of 40"-43" 4K Smart TV's available for less than $300 dollars.

We have six Smart TV's, all TCL Roku 4K's. I bought a 43" TCL 4K for my wife's office during the Christmas season of 2018 and the TV was dead out of the box, so I exchanged it the next day at Costco and haven't had an issue since. FYI, Costco doubles the manufacturer's warranty and allows returns/exchanges for up to 2 years.

Personally, I absolutely love the picture and convenience of a Roku TV because once it's authorized, it downloads all of our apps automatically. The most time consuming aspect is authorizing all of those apps but even that's really quick these days because the CPU's are just so fast these days.

My latest TCL QLED boots so quickly that I barely even see it. I press power and BOOM! I'm at the home screen.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:13 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Thanks, Dude!
[Reply]
Mecca 10:16 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Thanks, Dude!
Speed Queens are in laundry mats so I assume they last forever.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:17 AM 10-01-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The infamous Samsung "main board".

I've heard that one MULTIPLE times.
I have several GE appliances that we installed brand new back in 2003 and while cosmetically, they appear to be brand new but electronically, I've had to personally replace fill lines, an ice maker and several other internal parts, which can be found on Amazon, yet Samsung doesn't even make replacement parts for a seven year old unit.

I seriously have no idea how they can stay in that business because by now, nearly everyone knows their appliances are garbage and their customer service is atrocious.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up