ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:56 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
For what you get out of the LG CX series, they're really not THAT bad in terms of price.

And it really is best of breed; hard to get many arguments to the contrary.

Being able to get the absolute top of the market for about $2,300 on an LG CS 65'' is kindof a bargain, IMO. It's rare you can get to the peak of a high quality consumer electronic for that sort of fairly reasonable figure.

We stuck w/ the 50" for the living room and we have a pretty nice Samsung in the basement - the LG is just flat out better.
Newegg has it for $2169 right now. I'm just curious if I wait till November it'll be like $200 cheaper or something
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:59 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I use that same website for the exact problem you specified - the glare.

RTings does a glare test that really does a nice job of demonstrating how certain TVs are able to kill that glare really nicely. That's what put me towards the LG 8X a few years ago - those screens absolutely gobble up that glare and really do a nice job of absorbing it.

It's something you never think about until you get it in your room and during the fall/winter football months the southern sun !@#$s up your football games or something.

Unsurprisingly, your TCL gets a pretty poor glare score.
As long as I shut of the lights that sit directly over the TV, I don't have any glare. It has to be a pretty direct source for the glare to be bad.

My primary use of that TV is gaming and you can't beat the TCL at that price. I paid $1100 for a 75" that has one of the lowest input latencies in the industry. It's a great gaming TV and that's really all I wanted.
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 02:59 PM 09-28-2020
What's up with these online sites like TV Tronics? They have tv's like thousands of dollars cheaper. Got to be a scam right?

https://www.tvtronix.com/LG-C9PUB-77...77C9PUB/p-1154
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:40 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
As long as I shut of the lights that sit directly over the TV, I don't have any glare. It has to be a pretty direct source for the glare to be bad.

My primary use of that TV is gaming and you can't beat the TCL at that price. I paid $1100 for a 75" that has one of the lowest input latencies in the industry. It's a great gaming TV and that's really all I wanted.
Oh there are plenty of instances where it doesn't matter.

But if we're talking about putting something in your living room and there's natural light in there, it's just something you need to consider that few people really do.

They'll want to talk about contrasts and blacks and all that shit, but none of it matters if you have a giant sun-spot in the middle of your picture. And a lot of newer TVs are pretty bad about that.

I'm just pointing out that folks should really give those glare tests a look if there's a chance it will be an issue for them. It is in my living room for 4 months out of the year so it was pretty critical in my shopping evaluation.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:03 PM 09-28-2020
rtings.com is a pretty great resource when tv shopping. The entire west facing side of my house is windows. Even with quality shades there's still a ton of light that pours into my living room. I had in mind some brands I was interesting in and not only does rtings do the glare/picture tests, they compare the tv against 4 or 5 others in that price range with pros/cons for each them. I settled on an LG that performs better in bright rooms. It saved me from throwing money towards something that wasn't a good fit for my living room.

The site also provides some recommended calibration settings which is handy after purchase.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:14 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan:
Newegg has it for $2169 right now. I'm just curious if I wait till November it'll be like $200 cheaper or something
Black Friday sales will begin early this year and will also be online, so it might be worth it to wait.

I saw a 65" LG 7 series at Costco Burbank Saturday and it was awesome. They have a couple of larger LG's that are less than an a 1/2 thick on display which looked amazing as well.

I'm done with Samsung. From a washer and dryer that went out after only 7 years and wasn't repairable because Samsung stopped producing parts, to my parents issue with Samsung refrigerators, TV's and sound bars, I plan to avoid them forever.
[Reply]
Pants 04:21 PM 09-28-2020
LG CX for the best you can get.

TCL for best bang for the buck.

My main TV is a 65" TCL 5 series that I bought for $1000 a couple of years ago or so. I guess they are down to like $500-$600 now. The picture is great but, let's be honest, it's nowhere near how good the LG OLEDs are.
[Reply]
Rasputin 04:22 PM 09-28-2020
I use a projector and I love it. So much cheaper than a tv and I can have up to 150ft that kicks ass. I can watch movies at night in my back yard on the back of my house. If it's dark enough I'm going watch the Chiefs on Thursday Night Football coming up.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:54 PM 09-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Black Friday sales will begin early this year and will also be online, so it might be worth it to wait.

I saw a 65" LG 7 series at Costco Burbank Saturday and it was awesome. They have a couple of larger LG's that are less than an a 1/2 thick on display which looked amazing as well.

I'm done with Samsung. From a washer and dryer that went out after only 7 years and wasn't repairable because Samsung stopped producing parts, to my parents issue with Samsung refrigerators, TV's and sound bars, I plan to avoid them forever.
7 years? That's a fucking tank compared to Samsung lately. We replaced our washer after 3 and our dryer after just 20 months. We got tired of calling for warranty repairs. Even though they were covered, they had so many problems we had to get rid of them.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:01 PM 09-28-2020
Just bought this 75” LG today. I haven’t bought a new tv in nearly 9 years. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-75-c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
[Reply]
L.A. Chieffan 06:01 PM 09-28-2020
Funny because I have a Samsung washer that's only like a year old but it's already acting up. But then again I had a LG dish washer that literally caught fire mid cycle so who knows lol.

I think Samsung puts all its resources behind cell phones and LG puts all of theirs behind TVs
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:27 PM 09-28-2020
Funny because I have a Samsung washer that's only like a year old but it's already acting up. But then again I had a LG dish washer that literally caught fire mid cycle so who knows lol.

I think Samsung puts all its resources behind cell phones and LG puts all of theirs behind TVs
I had a repairman out last year to fix the Samsung washer and once he realized it was the main board said “I’m sorry, this can’t be repaired because Samsung stopped making the main board. A little piece of advice: Avoid Samsung at all costs.”.

I called around to every service center in the country along with some of those online parts places like AppliancepartsPros.com, which is awesome BTW, and no one had it.

My parents had three Samsung refrigerators fail in 4 months and finally gave up and went LG.
[Reply]
eDave 02:11 AM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Just bought this 75” LG today. I haven’t bought a new tv in nearly 9 years. Hopefully I won’t be disappointed

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-75-c...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Dang. Please keep us updated on performance. That's a crazy price point.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:02 AM 09-29-2020

My wife hates technology and spending money with a passion. Let's just say she has no regrets with our OLED purchase. Its an incredible upgrade.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:00 PM 09-29-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I had a repairman out last year to fix the Samsung washer and once he realized it was the main board said “I’m sorry, this can’t be repaired because Samsung stopped making the main board. A little piece of advice: Avoid Samsung at all costs.”.

I called around to every service center in the country along with some of those online parts places like AppliancepartsPros.com, which is awesome BTW, and no one had it.

My parents had three Samsung refrigerators fail in 4 months and finally gave up and went LG.
The infamous Samsung "main board".

I've heard that one MULTIPLE times.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up