ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Media Center>Early-mid 90s music suggestions
GayFrogs 01:20 PM 09-12-2020
Any 90s kids who find themselves coming back to this music all the time like I do? This thread is just to list albums that aren't incredibly famous like Dirt, Nevermind, Ten, etc...I want to find more obscure gems from this era. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:06 AM 10-14-2020
Mooncalf was some Metallica worship from KCMO in the early 90s

The entire demo is up on their bandcamp site

[Reply]
Bewbies 06:19 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
107.5 is now sleaze pop. Not a real genre but that's what I call it. Basically chicks in heavy makeup grabbing their crotches and singing about their drunken one night stands.
Yeah, I remember the day it ended. I was in a McDonalds parking lot, and a part of me died inside.
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 08:33 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by Cheater5:
Holy shit, I wore those CDs out. You are the first person I've ever seen on the interwebs who has mentioned Brad; that Shame album is still on my top 10...:-)

...and I used to play 'Great Cop' by Fugazi for my ex girlfriend all the time. After about the tenth time, she finally listened to the lyrics; "wait, are you saying this is me?"
I still play these all the time....they're staples lol!
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 08:36 PM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I forgot all about Our Lady Peace, the Canadian band.

I actually like Sponge’s second record more than the debut.

It was like Anti-Detroit, bluesier and way more rootsy than the original and wasn’t anywhere near as frantic and in your face.
For some unknown reason, I never even touched it.....I'm downloading now and will give a try.....
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:39 AM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:
For some unknown reason, I never even touched it.....I'm downloading now and will give a try.....
FYI, Spotify and Amazon music much easier than purchasing, downloading, unzipping and transferring to your device.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:07 PM 10-15-2020
FYI, Spotify and Amazon music much easier than purchasing, downloading, unzipping and transferring to your device.
Please don't use Spotify. Their business model sucks and is really, really hard on smaller, independent artists.

Other streaming services pay 10-20x more. And Spotify spends a lot of the money they make this way litigating against Google and Apple because Google and Apple "don't play fair".

I cannot stress enough how much I philosophically oppose Spotify.

That being said, I still buy CD's and records. I like having physical copies. Streaming is certainly more convenient but I prefer owning a physical copy and having complete control over my digital music.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:21 PM 10-15-2020
Please don't use Spotify. Their business model sucks and is really, really hard on smaller, independent artists.

Other streaming services pay 10-20x more. And Spotify spends a lot of the money they make this way litigating against Google and Apple because Google and Apple "don't play fair".

I cannot stress enough how much I philosophically oppose Spotify.

That being said, I still buy CD's and records. I like having physical copies. Streaming is certainly more convenient but I prefer owning a physical copy and having complete control over my digital music.
Dude, they ALL pay like shit. Trust me, I see it every quarter on my ASCAP and SESAC statements.

I'm lucky if I receive 1/10,000th of a penny per play. That includes Disney+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify - all of them.

I have a ton of music on 22 episodes of Brain Games, which is streaming on Disney+. I had something like 2 million streams and was paid $12 dollars.

I always purchase MP3's from Amazon but Spotify can be really great when I'm checking out music for specific briefs. The artists rarely, if ever, receive a dime from YouTube (my YouTube royalties suck, too), so at least I'm contributing to their 1/10,000th of a cent per play.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 02:32 PM 10-15-2020
Dude, they ALL pay like shit. Trust me, I see it every quarter on my ASCAP and SESAC statements.

I'm lucky if I receive 1/10,000th of a penny per play. That includes Disney+, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, Spotify - all of them.

I have a ton of music on 22 episodes of Brain Games, which is streaming on Disney+. I had something like 2 million streams and was paid $12 dollars.

I always purchase MP3's from Amazon but Spotify can be really great when I'm checking out music for specific briefs. The artists rarely, if ever, receive a dime from YouTube (my YouTube royalties suck, too), so at least I'm contributing to their 1/10,000th of a cent per play.

[Reply]
htismaqe 03:27 PM 10-15-2020

Spotify is great for previewing. I have no idea what kind of exposure you have but for my daughter, who is completely unknown (her streams measure in the dozens) she makes 20x more from Google and Apple than she does from Spotify. I also work with a lot of independent bands and they all get screwed by Spotify and beg people to use other outlets.

EDIT: And I'm not suggesting any of them pay great. One of them pays significantly worse than the rest though and that's Spotify. The other streaming platforms aren't litigation happy either. Spotify is just a shit company all around.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:35 PM 10-15-2020
Spotify is great for previewing. I have no idea what kind of exposure you have but for my daughter, who is completely unknown (her streams measure in the dozens) she makes 20x more from Google and Apple than she does from Spotify. I also work with a lot of independent bands and they all get screwed by Spotify and beg people to use other outlets.

EDIT: And I'm not suggesting any of them pay great. One of them pays significantly worse than the rest though and that's Spotify. The other streaming platforms aren't litigation happy either. Spotify is just a shit company all around.
Spotify is 70% owned by Warner Brothers, Universal, Disney and Sony. The labels and publishers "double dip" because Spotify has to pay to license the Masters of popular artists, then turns around and pays these same Artists 1/10,000th of a cent.

Google/YouTube has all kinds of rules but if you're an unsigned artist that's posting original music, the rates are far more equitable than any of the other streaming platforms.

But for people like me, whose music is used in YouTube clips, generally when someone is posting a particular scene of a TV show or even a Network Promo, our revenue stream is zero.

It's a really fucked up situation that only Congress can rectify but since Songwriters and Composers don't have a Union, there's very little pressure on them to act. And with streaming numbers up 25% this year while Cable and Over-The-Air network TV viewing has plummeted by at least 25%, our revenues have plunged more than 50% this year.

Suffice to say, it sucks.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:51 PM 10-15-2020
Spotify is 70% owned by Warner Brothers, Universal, Disney and Sony. The labels and publishers "double dip" because Spotify has to pay to license the Masters of popular artists, then turns around and pays these same Artists 1/10,000th of a cent.

Google/YouTube has all kinds of rules but if you're an unsigned artist that's posting original music, the rates are far more equitable than any of the other streaming platforms.

But for people like me, whose music is used in YouTube clips, generally when someone is posting a particular scene of a TV show or even a Network Promo, our revenue stream is zero.

It's a really fucked up situation that only Congress can rectify but since Songwriters and Composers don't have a Union, there's very little pressure on them to act. And with streaming numbers up 25% this year while Cable and Over-The-Air network TV viewing has plummeted by at least 25%, our revenues have plunged more than 50% this year.

Suffice to say, it sucks.
That does suck. I will say this, my hate for Spotify is fueled by my belief that musicians should get paid. One of the reasons I buy albums and merch is because the bands I work with make more money on those items. I once paid $100 for a $30 concert shirt because the band's van was broke down and they had no money to pay for it.

It really pisses me off to hear your story. You should get paid not only for the work you put in but the unique creativity you put into it. The industry is so screwed up. :-)
[Reply]
mililo4cpa 04:05 PM 10-15-2020
I forgot all about Our Lady Peace, the Canadian band.

I actually like Sponge’s second record more than the debut.

It was like Anti-Detroit, bluesier and way more rootsy than the original and wasn’t anywhere near as frantic and in your face.
I really like OLP....they have a live album that is pretty great....It was later on because there were some Happiness is a fish songs there, but really was a great live recording.

I listened to the second Sponge album today, and I really liked it....in my mind it was totally different, except for the fact that the singer has a little bit of a distinctive voice. outside of that, very different, in a good way, and both albums are very good. Will definitely put this in rotation going forward!

Also, didn't know about the sister band, so that gives me some more new music to listen too....
[Reply]
SuperChief 08:51 AM 10-16-2020
I use Spotify for discovery. I've found hundreds of new bands (new to me, anyway) through their platform, which has led to countless hours of listening, exploring, and live shows. I understand their pay model is shit, and I wish it were better. I haven't found a service that's better for music discovery, especially one that's based on my current listening habits.
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:53 AM 10-16-2020
Glad I can help...

[Reply]
Coochie liquor 02:06 PM 10-16-2020

One of my favorite acoustic versions. I remember hearing Superman’s Dead somewhere way before it became a hit. I used to call The Point in St Louis, and go to the places they were giving things away. I always said play OLP Superman’s Dead. Literally took them months before it got played and then worked into rotation. Looking back I probably didn’t have a big impact on it being played in St Louis airways, but maybe I did....
[Reply]
Page 8 of 9
« First < 45678 9 >
Up