ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Media Center>Early-mid 90s music suggestions
GayFrogs 01:20 PM 09-12-2020
Any 90s kids who find themselves coming back to this music all the time like I do? This thread is just to list albums that aren't incredibly famous like Dirt, Nevermind, Ten, etc...I want to find more obscure gems from this era. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 07:25 AM 10-04-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
And if we're talking mid-90s obscure, I have to rep a couple locals.

Love the Urge! Saw them so many times when I was a lot younger.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 09:01 AM 10-04-2020
Fuck me, had a huge list of songs embedded and then they all disappeared. Just gonna name some now because it’s too much work to embed it all again.

Albums you may like that you may not be too familiar with

Sebadoh - Harmacy

Portishead - Self Titled, and Dummy

The Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster

Brother Cane - Self Titled

Cry of Love - Brother

The Screamin Cheetah Wheelies - Self Titled

The Nixon’s - Foma

K’s Choice - Paradise in Me, and Cocoon Crash

Poe - Hello

Our Lady Peace - Naveed, and Dummy

Dishwalla - Pet Your Friends

Neds Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder

School of Fish - Self Titled

Material Issue - Freak City Soundtrack

Joan Osbourne - Relish

Grant Lee Buffalo - Jubilee

Stereophonics - Word Gets Around

Len - You Can’t Stop the Bumrush

The Soup Dragons - Hotwired

The Refreshments - Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy

Josh Clayton Felt - Spirit Touches Ground
[Reply]
eDave 12:55 PM 10-04-2020
Anyone heard of Authority Zero? Punk band from Mesa, AZ around 94. Went to see my cousin Nicki Park perform Friday night and Mike Spero was her guitar player. Didn't know who he was but introduced myself and he seemed OK. Kinda dismissive until Nicki re-introduced me then he was right respectful after that and we had a nice discussion about the Prince song they played and how difficult it was to play, though a relatively simple song. I think he was high on marijuana. Which is a juxtaposition to Nicki Park who is pretty square, though she does like her Chardonnay.

[Reply]
Coochie liquor 02:51 PM 10-05-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Anyone heard of Authority Zero? Punk band from Mesa, AZ around 94. Went to see my cousin Nicki Park perform Friday night and Mike Spero was her guitar player. Didn't know who he was but introduced myself and he seemed OK. Kinda dismissive until Nicki re-introduced me then he was right respectful after that and we had a nice discussion about the Prince song they played and how difficult it was to play, though a relatively simple song. I think he was high on marijuana. Which is a juxtaposition to Nicki Park who is pretty square, though she does like her chardonnay.

You should check out their Rhythm and Booze live acoustic album. Good stuff! Got to see them a couple times, always put on a good punk rock show
[Reply]
Gadzooks 04:42 PM 10-05-2020
A little hardcore band out of Buffalo:

[Reply]
mililo4cpa 08:44 PM 10-12-2020
Been some great suggestions in here....will add a few I didn't see before:

Mother Love Bone - Apple (may be late 80s)
Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker
The Stone Roses - 2nd coming
Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion and Dust
Our Lady Peace - Clumsy and Happiness is a fish.....
Fuel - Sunburn
Mad Season - Above
Love Battery - Between the Eyes
Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, Five Dollar Bob's Mock Cooter Stew, and a host of other albums
Brad - Shame
Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites
Heather Nova - Oyster
Helmut - Betty
Anything Kyuss
Sponge - Rotting Piñata
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:24 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:

Fuel - Sunburn
Mad Season - Above
Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, Five Dollar Bob's Mock Cooter Stew, and a host of other albums
Brad - Shame
Heather Nova - Oyster
Helmut - Betty
Anything Kyuss
Sponge - Rotting Piñata
Pretty damn good list.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:43 PM 10-12-2020
I forgot all about Our Lady Peace, the Canadian band.

I actually like Sponge’s second record more than the debut.

It was like Anti-Detroit, bluesier and way more rootsy than the original and wasn’t anywhere near as frantic and in your face.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:54 PM 10-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I forgot all about Our Lady Peace, the Canadian band.

I actually like Sponge’s second record more than the debut.

It was like Anti-Detroit, bluesier and way more rootsy than the original and wasn’t anywhere near as frantic and in your face.
Our Lady Peace and their sister band Finger Eleven. Lot of local crossover there. Both pretty good bands in their own right.
[Reply]
Bewbies 10:01 PM 10-12-2020
Man I grew up on this shit. In Des Moines we had 107 dot 5 and the day they dumped the ALT stuff a part of me died inside.

I saw a band called The Gufs their song Smile is a good one. So many other good recommendations in here.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 04:19 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Our Lady Peace and their sister band Finger Eleven. Lot of local crossover there. Both pretty good bands in their own right.
"Finger Eleven" were originally named "Rainbow Butt Monkeys". Very 90's:

[Reply]
Cheater5 05:07 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by mililo4cpa:

Fuel - Sunburn
Mad Season - Above
Brad - Shame
Heather Nova - Oyster
Helmut - Betty
Anything Kyuss
Sponge - Rotting Piñata

Holy shit, I wore those CDs out. You are the first person I've ever seen on the interwebs who has mentioned Brad; that Shame album is still on my top 10...:-)

...and I used to play 'Great Cop' by Fugazi for my ex girlfriend all the time. After about the tenth time, she finally listened to the lyrics; "wait, are you saying this is me?"
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:28 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
Man I grew up on this shit. In Des Moines we had 107 dot 5 and the day they dumped the ALT stuff a part of me died inside.

I saw a band called The Gufs their song Smile is a good one. So many other good recommendations in here.
107.5 is now sleaze pop. Not a real genre but that's what I call it. Basically chicks in heavy makeup grabbing their crotches and singing about their drunken one night stands.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:20 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
**** me, had a huge list of songs embedded and then they all disappeared. Just gonna name some now because it’s too much work to embed it all again.

Albums you may like that you may not be too familiar with

Neds Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder

Material Issue - Freak City Soundtrack
Both still in my random rotation to date. Really enjoyed Ned's....as well as Charlatans UK.

Funny story on Material Issue.........I was DJing a club back around 2002ish. Two drunk girls come up to me and ask to request a song.

Being that it's 2002ish, I'm expecting anything from chemical brothers to Outkast to R Kelly.

Nope - they wanted to hear "Diane" by Material Issue!

THE most obscure request ever.........and what the hell were the odds that I actually knew it!?
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:48 AM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If you guys are into Tool and A Perfect Circle, check out Failure, which was a HUGE influence on both bands and all of their musicians. Ken Andrews was brilliant but before his time.

I saw Failure at Lollapalooza in 1997 in KC. They were awesome and have been a huge fan ever since. I've seen them a couple of times in Lawrence, KS the past few years as well after they got back together. They still kick ass.

Also a big fan of Year of the Rabbit which was another Ken Andrews band in the early 2000s.

[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up