ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Media Center>Early-mid 90s music suggestions
GayFrogs 01:20 PM 09-12-2020
Any 90s kids who find themselves coming back to this music all the time like I do? This thread is just to list albums that aren't incredibly famous like Dirt, Nevermind, Ten, etc...I want to find more obscure gems from this era. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:01 AM 09-13-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Tough to gauge what is obscure from stuff you are going back to nearly 30 years later.

For instance, Deep gave you a ton of good stuff above, but most of that I'd consider 'big hits.' I like a lot, and love many, but because of that I don't think of them as obscure. Some I'd even consider 'anthems.' Machine Head, The Reason, One Headlight, those are HUGE hits, for my world. I mean, you gotta be pretty lucky to be an obscure band that commands a STADIUM?!?! :-)

If I had to pick three that were what I'd characterize as lesser known from the era that I'm still fond of.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Cowboy Junkies
Toy Matinee.
What I should added was all my vidoes are live. The actual song was a studio version almost all the time, but I only collect live videos on youtube. It's always a challenge to find a good live recording because some bands suck live, or just aren't in front a camera at the right time. Here's a couple lesser known.

[Reply]
htismaqe 09:53 AM 09-13-2020
:-). I forgot about Spacehog. I have 3 or 4 of their albums.

Here's something a little more obscure, although it's closer to 2000 than 1990.

[Reply]
Buehler445 08:51 PM 09-13-2020
I'm a little later in that late 90's early 2000's phase. I'm not sure what you're into, but here's a few that I don't hear about much from the era.

Everybody knows the Mighty Mighty Bosstones from The Impression that I Get. Which still is a pretty good listen. But on the whole, the whole album is still pretty listenable if you're at all into the ska genre.

I really dig this song. It's quite a bit darker than most of the other stuff on the album, but it works for me. I'm not a huge ska guy, so maybe that's why it works for me. All in all, there is some really good instrument work in the album. Give it a listen if you haven't.

The Marvelous 3 is a really obscure band. My buddy gave me a burned CD a million years ago, and I wore it out. I really dug their stuff. It's pretty pop-punky but I dig it.
This is from the Hey! album 1998.

[Reply]
Buehler445 09:17 PM 09-13-2020
This one is less obscure, but it's not what they're known for. But I straight love this song. I don't like most Offspring stuff, but I can't get enough of this one. Pretty much my one thing that I need musically is to mean it. Perform with intensity (typically), but don't mail it in. (Accordingly the reason why I hate almost all mainstream country :-) )

All that being said, you absolutely FEEL the pain coming through the song. God I love this shit. From 97...

This is probably too late for you (1999), but the Supernatural album from Santana is pretty damn good. Everybody points to the Rob Thomas song on the album, but Put Your Lights on with Everlast is really good too. I don't know how you feel about Everlast, but going down an Everlast rabbit hole isn't a waste of time. And Santana is Santana. Dude can flat get it.

[Reply]
Great Expectations 09:19 PM 09-13-2020
Some great songs in here, but if you are wanting great obscure how about some Pomeroy?

https://g.co/kgs/7Tngfz

Or if these great wildly popular songs are what you want how about this one?

https://youtu.be/9-HFbNhTTKQ
[Reply]
Great Expectations 09:21 PM 09-13-2020
Originally Posted by SuperChief:
I guess some of those were later 90s, but I at least tried to stay in the decade. There's some early 2000s stuff I really wanted to put in there too.
I saw a great Local H show at a Lake outside of Lawerence in the mid 90’s. Those dudes put on a great show.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:25 PM 09-13-2020
Not sure your thoughts on Nirvana. I'm not a giant Nirvana dude. But the Man Who Sold the World from the MTV Unplugged special is damn good (Even though it's not unplugged LOL).

From 1993.

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:32 PM 09-13-2020
Oh man, my favorite era. Check out 120 minutes playlists on Spotify. I used to watch that show religiously. A few that were popular enough but not quite mainstream.

The Toadies - Rubberneck
The Breeders - Last Splash
The Eels - Beautiful Freak
Live - Throwing Copper
Pixies
Blur
Nada Surf
Pavement
Sonic Youth
Cracker

Was also a great era for punk and ska.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:34 PM 09-13-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Sonic Youth
Caught this the other day, good memories.

[Reply]
Jamie 12:32 AM 09-14-2020

[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:45 AM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Caught this the other day, good memories.

Yup, the perfect song for a pubescent teen with hormones. ��
[Reply]
eDave 12:19 PM 09-14-2020
The Verve. Not The Verve Pipe.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:13 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Excellent choice! That was a great album. I still listen to it. Too bad they couldn't follow up with anything near as good. :-)
[Reply]
Lzen 01:16 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
What I should added was all my vidoes are live. The actual song was a studio version almost all the time, but I only collect live videos on youtube. It's always a challenge to find a good live recording because some bands suck live, or just aren't in front a camera at the right time. Here's a couple lesser known.

Nice list but I will point out that Break The Cycle was released in 2001. :-)

Edit: Hoobastank - The Reason was released in 2003.
[Reply]
ModSocks 01:23 PM 09-15-2020
Shiiiiit. OP, i love my 90's Spotify playlist, and yeah i go back to it all the time. There must be about a hundred or so random songs in there, a lot of which are right here in this thread.

Funny thing is, i probably know the lyrics to most of them.

It seems like a lot of us are 90's music-babies.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up