ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Early-mid 90s music suggestions
GayFrogs 01:20 PM 09-12-2020
Any 90s kids who find themselves coming back to this music all the time like I do? This thread is just to list albums that aren't incredibly famous like Dirt, Nevermind, Ten, etc...I want to find more obscure gems from this era. Any suggestions?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:24 PM 09-12-2020
"Guilty" was playing when they visit the sex dungeon to find the lust victim in Se7en. When Napster was around you could find a lot of esoteric mixes of certain songs. There was a 7+ minute electronic remix of "Guilty" that I really enjoyed, moreso than the original song even, but I've never been able to find it anywhere else again.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:27 PM 09-12-2020
A song from '87, but in my saucy state of mind its close enough

[Reply]
Bowser 07:55 PM 09-12-2020
Obviously a remake, but this screams pure 90s

[Reply]
Bowser 08:01 PM 09-12-2020

[Reply]
KCUnited 08:16 PM 09-12-2020
No ragrets

[Reply]
htismaqe 08:24 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
The Sleep story is an all timer.

Seeing Dopesmoker played in its entirety is near the top of my live music experiences.
Have you seen the documentary "Such Hawks, Such Hounds"?

It's a great view into the 1990's stoner scene and they tell the story of Dopesmoker/Jerusalem. It's mind boggling the whole saga.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:27 PM 09-12-2020
Bowser

The funny thing about Space Lord is that it was the one radio single off that album and it's near the bottom of my list of great tracks on that album.

Monster Magnet is the ultimate sludge shock rock band. This song is on that album.

[Reply]
GayFrogs 08:45 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Tough to gauge what is obscure from stuff you are going back to nearly 30 years later.

For instance, Deep gave you a ton of good stuff above, but most of that I'd consider 'big hits.' I like a lot, and love many, but because of that I don't think of them as obscure. Some I'd even consider 'anthems.' Machine Head, The Reason, One Headlight, those are HUGE hits, for my world. I mean, you gotta be pretty lucky to be an obscure band that commands a STADIUM?!?! :-)

If I had to pick three that were what I'd characterize as lesser known from the era that I'm still fond of.

Big Head Todd and the Monsters
Cowboy Junkies
Toy Matinee.
I suppose I'm thinking of songs that haven't been on the radio since they were released. If the whole album is good, even better. Like Alice in chains' tripod album only has one song I recognized, and it was great front to back.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:53 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by idrapethat:
I suppose I'm thinking of songs that haven't been on the radio since they were released. If the whole album is good, even better. Like Alice in chains' tripod album only has one song I recognized, and it was great front to back.
Anything by Kyuss, any of the early Monster Magnet albums. Sleep for sure. The Melvins. Pretty much none of that was ever on the radio.
[Reply]
Bowser 09:15 PM 09-12-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Bowser

The funny thing about Space Lord is that it was the one radio single off that album and it's near the bottom of my list of great tracks on that album.

Monster Magnet is the ultimate sludge shock rock band. This song is on that album.

That gets right up in your face, doesn't it?

Am I wrong to say that I would have believed you if you told me that was a Clutch song?

Originally Posted by idrapethat:
You mean like so?

[Reply]
mdstu 09:36 PM 09-12-2020
Some of my favorites from the early 90's.

Faith No More - Angel Dust
Rollins Band - Weight
Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
Pearl Jam - Vitalogy
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Helmet - In the Meantime
Hole - Live Through This
Peter Gabriel - Us
Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dreams
[Reply]
SuperChief 12:09 AM 09-13-2020
Some of my faves (that haven't been mentioned yet):

[Reply]
SuperChief 12:10 AM 09-13-2020
I guess some of those were later 90s, but I at least tried to stay in the decade. There's some early 2000s stuff I really wanted to put in there too.
[Reply]
Third Eye 12:20 AM 09-13-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:

The Real Thing was an absolutely transformative album for me. Came out when I was 12. Appetite For Destruction and Anthrax’s State of Euphoria came out when I was 10 and 11 and opened a lot of doors for me, but when The Real Thing came out, it took things to an entirely different level. I’ve probably played that album more than any other in my life.
[Reply]
SuperChief 12:24 AM 09-13-2020
People sometimes say "I wish they still made music like this" or "Today's music sucks." I thought the same for a long time until I started looking for good music that hit all the cool 90s grunge/alternative buttons. I'll embed some good ones I've found here:

[Reply]
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up