ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 7
« First < 34567
Media Center>Is this the saddest song....
Ubeja Vontell 10:05 PM 04-24-2020
....ever recorded?

Now most everyone has heard that song, it is well known.

There are a ton of old blues and country songs pretty damn sad, hell....."took a Smith and Wesson and blew out my brains" how about...."he threw carbolic acid in my face".....then there is..."blood, blood, blood, blood"....remember Ruby took her love to town, old Hank was so lonesome he could cry, J.Frank Wilson in "Last Kiss".

What is your saddest song?
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:27 AM 10-19-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
In his finale months of terminal lung cancer and out of breath and stamina Warren and friends recorded his last ever album The Wind. Mr Zevon passed I think 5 months later after release and we lost a brilliant writer of songs.
Did you see the David Letterman show that was devoted totally to Warren, I guess it was about 4 months before he died. Lawyer, Guns and Money is now one of my favorite songs.

[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:59 PM 10-20-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
In his finale months of terminal lung cancer and out of breath and stamina Warren and friends recorded his last ever album The Wind. Mr Zevon passed I think 5 months later after release and we lost a brilliant writer of songs.

There is more (MUCH more) to Zevon than most people know. MUCH more...."Lawyers, Guns and Money" was written from a "somewhat personal" perspective......
[Reply]
srvy 08:21 PM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Did you see the David Letterman show that was devoted totally to Warren, I guess it was about 4 months before he died. Lawyer, Guns and Money is now one of my favorite songs.

Yes one of my favorite artists. I have every recording I believe that exists except his very first "Wanted Dead or Alive" I believe was only released in Europe. I guess it was a major failure and was blasted by critics. His producer walked out midway through the recording citing impossible to work with because Warren insisted on playing all the instruments. Warren said he chalked up his disagreement to his producer as "a sudden attack of taste". He did release one song that I consider really good on that album that he re-recorded on Excitable Boy Tule's Blues. A song about the mother of his son. Also, the soundtrack to Midnight Cowboy uses his song She Quit Me changing the lyrics to He Quit Me. Warren went on to take a job as band director and music coordinator for The Everly Brothers. He didn't record another album till 1976 and the critically acclaimed album Warren Zevon my personal favorite.

I guess Warren actually had a genius IQ Warren always referred to it mockingly as the highest IQ ever recorded in Fresno California lol. He was considered a prodigy who as a youngster was trained by Igor Stravinsky. Warren had his demon and it was alcoholism. Every step forward it seemed alcohol knocked him back 10 steps. He got clean later in life mostly to make amends to his wife that he abused when he drank heavily. He was a strange guy his wife in the book she wrote that he could never wear a shirt twice. Even when flat broke he would go to goodwill and thrift stores stock up on shirts lol and dump the used ones.

I just connect with his songwriting. He is one of the few artists that I never get tired of listening to. I really think he didn't get his due because of the abusive behavior. His friends Bob Dylan Bruce Springsteen and Jackson Brown knew how good his writing was.
[Reply]
srvy 08:24 PM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
There is more (MUCH more) to Zevon than most people know. MUCH more...."Lawyers, Guns and Money" was written from a "somewhat personal" perspective......
Yeah he was a troubled turbulent genius. There will not be another like him a powerhouse of a songwriter.

I found this and seems his father was an interesting fellow too.

William "Stumpy" Zevon (born 1903- 1976) was a Ukrainian-born Jewish mobster and member of the Cohen gang, headed by Los Angeles mobster Mickey Cohen.

Biography

William Rubin Zivotofsky, was born in Kiev, Ukraine, in 1903. His father, Rubin, left for New York in 1905, and the Zivotofskys of Ukraine became the Zevons of Brooklyn. He was of Russian Jewish origin and lived in Chicago, Illinois where he was allegedly involved in gambling with Chicago Outfit boss Sam Giancana. He was married to Beverly Cope Simmons. Zevon moved to California and became a bookie who handled volume bets and dice games for notorious Los Angeles mobster Mickey Cohen. Zevon worked for years in Cohen's Combination, where he was known as Stumpy Zevon, and was best man at Cohen's first marriage. Zevon's police record showed arrests for gambling, burglary, receiving stolen property, robbery and violation of prohibition liquor laws.

He was the father of American rock singer-songwriter and musician Warren Zevon. He was also allegedly related to folk/blues singer Jedaiah Zivotovsky. He worked as a boxer (serving as part of the inspiration for Warren's "Boom Boom Mancini" song), but was also a life-long criminal (probably part of the inspiration for his son's gritty outlaw songwriting).
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 03:46 PM 10-22-2020
Frisco Depot - as sung by Waylon Jennings
[Reply]
siberian khatru 02:12 PM 10-23-2020

[Reply]
Rausch 03:11 AM 10-26-2020
"There's a hole in daddy's arm where all the money goes..."

[Reply]
CarlosCarson27 04:26 AM 10-26-2020
Is 10CC already in here?
[Reply]