ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Sony Playstation 5 thread
bowener 10:04 AM 03-17-2020
I figured we could go ahead and start this.

I wasn't able to watch it today, but Sony had a live event where they unveiled the PS5 console. I don't really have an opinion on the appearance yet, but it can be vertical or horizontal.

Your first look at the #PlayStation5. pic.twitter.com/VCDfmVKCEl

— PlayStation (@PlayStation) June 11, 2020

...and here it is. Thanks for watching! #PS5 pic.twitter.com/pOzHc31X3G

— PlayStation (@PlayStation) June 11, 2020

[Reply]
vailpass 11:24 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bill Brasky:
Didn't Sony get absolutely blasted for using proprietary memory for one of their systems? I remember people were furious about it. It doesn't seem like there's been a negative reaction to the Microsoft solution yet, but I guess they also haven't announced prices.
Maybe M$ partnering with Seagate to make 1TB cards as easy to buy as candy on Amazon overcomes the proprietary stigma.
[Reply]
Pants 07:19 PM 03-20-2020
virtual surround sound headphones.
Fake news. Look into it.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:40 PM 03-20-2020

Tom’s breaks down what is known to this point:

https://www.tomshardware.com/
[Reply]
ShiftyEyedWaterboy 10:36 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Shifty, I see your LSU avatar and your location Denver. Did you go to LSU? what's up? Just curious that's all.
Didn't go but I'm from Monroe, originally. Moved to Denver with family towards the end of high school. :-)
[Reply]
Gravedigger 11:54 PM 03-20-2020
Meh I think Sony is behind the 8 ball on this and rushing something out to have it at the same time as Microsoft, but their part deals aren't as good as Microsoft's so they need to charge more per system to make up the difference. They're trying to guess what Microsoft is going to charge and then they'll have to decide between $50 - $100 more for their system based on their exclusives and name. I'll be surprised if they cost the same. The press conference didn't tell me anything I didn't already know; wow, it's got similar specs to what Microsoft is putting out, provocative! Until you show me what it looks like and give me at least 3 launch titles I'm not going to get excited about it.
[Reply]
Pants 09:33 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
Meh I think Sony is behind the 8 ball on this and rushing something out to have it at the same time as Microsoft, but their part deals aren't as good as Microsoft's so they need to charge more per system to make up the difference. They're trying to guess what Microsoft is going to charge and then they'll have to decide between $50 - $100 more for their system based on their exclusives and name. I'll be surprised if they cost the same. The press conference didn't tell me anything I didn't already know; wow, it's got similar specs to what Microsoft is putting out, provocative! Until you show me what it looks like and give me at least 3 launch titles I'm not going to get excited about it.
It's like 20% percent less powerful than the Series X when in "boost" mode, which they probably only included to be even remotely close to the new Xbox.

It'll probably be much less powerful in the standard mode of operation. There's no way it will be able to sustain boost for any sort of decent amount of time due to heat issues.
[Reply]
Valiant 07:54 PM 03-21-2020
Don't will be fine. Honestly most of the power is wasted by the developers in programming and shitty code. My problem with Sony is their first party games. Most are QuickTime movies. Spiderman was about it for me.

I also think it is foolish to spend the money on timed exclusives. Ms needs to up their game also. Their first party games sucked this generation. They killed a lot of promising games.

I think the next generation after this will be finally PC's. Upgradable consoles. Basically cheaper computers using proprietary software.
[Reply]
Pants 09:50 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Valiant:
Don't will be fine. Honestly most of the power is wasted by the developers in programming and shitty code. My problem with Sony is their first party games. Most are QuickTime movies. Spiderman was about it for me.

I also think it is foolish to spend the money on timed exclusives. Ms needs to up their game also. Their first party games sucked this generation. They killed a lot of promising games.

I think the next generation after this will be finally PC's. Upgradable consoles. Basically cheaper computers using proprietary software.
I firmly believe Sony will win keep winning every generation whether it is less powerful than the Xbox equivalent or not.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:05 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by Valiant:
My problem with Sony is their first party games. Most are QuickTime movies. Spiderman was about it for me.
Those scenes are specifically designed to hide slow data loads from the hard drive. The SSD will fix that in the PS5. If you skip the quick time movie, you'll be sitting at a loading screen.
[Reply]
Jerm 11:06 AM 03-24-2020
Didn't Sony get absolutely blasted for using proprietary memory for one of their systems? I remember people were furious about it. It doesn't seem like there's been a negative reaction to the Microsoft solution yet, but I guess they also haven't announced prices.
Vita memory cards is what you're thinking of and yeah, it was a shit show.

The Series X looks nuts too, powerful as hell...the XB1 controller is my fav. of all time and they've only made it better.

Lots of promising stuff that Halo Infinite will be amazing, rumors of Fable coming back, and other intriguing stuff like what will Obsidian's next game be, etc.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either console.
[Reply]
Bill Brasky 11:07 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I firmly believe Sony will win keep winning every generation whether it is less powerful than the Xbox equivalent or not.
Correct. The mass market cares about two things: Price and Games.
[Reply]
Jerm 11:11 AM 03-24-2020
Correct. The mass market cares about two things: Price and Games.
That and the ridiculous mind share they have...Cerny's video is at 13 million view on YT after 6 days.

The PS5 logo was the most liked gaming related image on Instagram ever.

It's crazy.
[Reply]
eDave 02:23 AM 05-14-2020
Unreal Engine 5 on PS5. Pretty amazing.

[Reply]
eDave 02:27 AM 05-14-2020
Vimeo version (less compressed)

[Reply]
bowener 04:20 PM 05-14-2020
Evidently Sony's new storage management is industry-changing.

article

Originally Posted by :
“It has an immense amount of GPU power, but also multi-order bandwidth increase in storage management. That’s going to be absolutely critical,” he says. “It’s one thing to render everything that can fit in memory,” he adds, but a much more impressive feat to render a world that “might be tens of gigabytes in size” almost instantaneously, as Sony’s new console and its M.2 solid-state drive are promising.

“We’ve been working super close with Sony for quite a long time on storage,” he says. “The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on anything on PC for any amount of money right now. It’s going to help drive future PCs. [The PC market is] going to see this thing ship and say, ‘Oh wow, SSDs are going to need to catch up with this.”

[Reply]
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up