ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Media Center>Anybody like rock and roll?
Merde Furieux 05:31 PM 09-05-2019

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 01:42 PM 03-24-2020

[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:49 AM 03-25-2020
Mark, Don & Mel known as Grand Funk Railroad live from the LA Forum 1974 taken from a Japanese Laser. This is the song "TNUC", which came from their '69 debut album "On Time", the title is a another word spelled backwards. This is probably one of their finest performances captured on video.

[Reply]
srvy 04:46 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Mark, Don & Mel known as Grand Funk Railroad live from the LA Forum 1974 taken from a Japanese Laser. This is the song "TNUC", which came from their '69 debut album "On Time", the title is a another word spelled backwards. This is probably one of their finest performances captured on video.

Thats awesome the recording is really good for that time frame. I was a junior in HS what that concert was happening. GFR was a great live concert as I saw them in KC around this time. Bravo:-)
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:14 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Thats awesome the recording is really good for that time frame. I was a junior in HS what that concert was happening. GFR was a great live concert as I saw them in KC around this time. Bravo:-)
I never got a chance to see them in their prime, I did see the three in 1998 when they did a reunion tour. That band has gone through a lot of politics. Mark became born-again in the 80's and wouldn't touch pot or have anything to do with the other two guys. Then when they regrouped Mark took along his 19 year old son as a guitar tech, he had been living with his ex and had been getting into trouble and thought this way he could keep an eye on him. Before the tour Mark told the guys, no drugs. One night he caught his son and Mel smoking pot, end of GFR.

During the tour Don Brewer the drummer was usually the businessman of the group and one night he gave some papers to Mark to sign, and he didn't even read them, but signed because he trusted Don. He signed away control of the name of the band to Don. So now when you see GFR on tour, it's only Don and Mel with a couple of other guys trying to fill in for a legend and Mark does the solo tour on his own.

Back in the beginning the band was signed by Terry Knight, a local Michigan singer who went to NY and got connected with Capitol and became a manager and producer. He had actually sang songs with the guys and went back to Michigan and signed them. He produced their first five albums, the best I think of the bunch, they have the more raw sound and the separation of instruments and vocals in the stereo mix, sort of like the Beatles. After 5 albums and big tours selling out Shea Stadium and all, they were still broke. They went to Terry Knight and asked for money, he showed them what they signed and basically were getting paid peanuts and Terry was making all the money. They fired Terry on the spot. Then they went to go play Madison Square Garden, Knight got an injunction and said he owned everything and confiscated their equipment and they couldn't play live or record for a year. Finally when the dust settled they hired Todd Rundgren as a producer and released the album We're an American Band and they finally made the big time, but for fans like me, they sort of sold out. I can't blame them, they needed a big hit and to go commercial but I really only listen to the early albums.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 04:25 PM 03-26-2020

Pretty much who Van Halen ripped off. The musicians, anyway. David Lee Rothstein ripped off Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 04:25 PM 03-26-2020

[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:06 AM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Merde Furieux:
Pretty much who Van Halen ripped off. The musicians, anyway. David Lee Rothstein ripped off Jim Dandy from Black Oak Arkansas.
I couldn't of said it better, been telling people for years David Lee Roth stole his act from Jim Dandy. I've seen Black Oak Arkansas four times, fantastic show. I met Jim backstage before a show in '84 and he had just had open heart surgery the year before and he was standing there smoking a joint getting ready to go on stage. I don't know how they are now, Jim has not aged very well from the videos I've seen.

[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:15 AM 03-27-2020
While I'm in the mood of putting up videos, my favorite performance act is Uriah Heep, who I saw live in '75 featuring the late David Byron on vocals. Most times their shows ended with David singing while on his back. He did exactly that when I saw them and I just figured it was part of his act. Years later I read he was usually too drunk to stand up by the end of the shows. The band fired him in '76 and they never achieved the fame they had with Byron. Sadly David died alone in 1985 from Cirrhosis of the liver. The bassist in the video Gary Thain, considered by many as great, died shortly after I saw them in '75 after being electrocuted on stage. There is not a lot of live video from David Byron's '69 to '76 years with the band, this is probably the best. Live at Shepperton 1974, six songs 20 minutes. The band is still touring, however Mick Box the guitarist is the only remaining original member.

[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:30 PM 03-27-2020
Originally Posted by Merde Furieux:

My Wife and I traveled to Saint Louis to spend the day. Went up to top of the arch, went to "the farm" and had 3-4 FREE beers then hit the Robin Trower concert. Damn it was good...I mean - good.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 04:35 PM 03-27-2020
While I'm in the mood of putting up videos, my favorite performance act is Uriah Heep, who I saw live in '75 featuring the late David Byron on vocals. Most times their shows ended with David singing while on his back. He did exactly that when I saw them and I just figured it was part of his act. Years later I read he was usually too drunk to stand up by the end of the shows. The band fired him in '76 and they never achieved the fame they had with Byron. Sadly David died alone in 1985 from Cirrhosis of the liver. The bassist in the video Gary Thain, considered by many as great, died shortly after I saw them in '75 after being electrocuted on stage. There is not a lot of live video from David Byron's '69 to '76 years with the band, this is probably the best. Live at Shepperton 1974, six songs 20 minutes. The band is still touring, however Mick Box the guitarist is the only remaining original member.

Good Lord. Uriah Heep (the original lineup) has always been a favorite of mine. Several of us in '73 got together and went to the concert at University of Louisville....My god they were great!! Long John Baldry opened for them.

They held the show on the baseball field. The Moog Synth was relative new at the time and when Ken Hensley went into a rather long solo - people stopped their cars on the overpass. I'm fairly certain they thought we were being invaded by aliens. I have remembered that show fondly ever since. Seems like it about $5 to get in.......
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:05 AM 03-28-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
...I have remembered that show fondly ever since. Seems like it about $5 to get in.......
I think when I saw Heep in '75 tickets were like $7.50. In fact I never paid more than $10 for a ticket until 1986 when I paid $36 to see the Amnesty Int'l concert at the Omni in Atlanta. I had to go, it was U2, the Police, Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed and Bryan Adams. Each act did 6 songs and then that Saturday I watched the show again live on MTV from Giants Stadium. Even when I saw Pink Floyd in '88 at Atlanta it was only $20.

Just two months ago in January, Kansas played here in The Villages at a 1100 seat venue and they wanted $125 a ticket, I just couldn't see paying $250 a for couple of seats and Steve Walsh is no longer the singer, he retired. I saw Kansas with Styx in 1995 for only $20. I'll just keep that memory.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 03:41 PM 03-28-2020

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 04:09 PM 03-28-2020

[Reply]
GloucesterChief 08:24 AM 03-29-2020
Newer band with a pretty classic Rock & Roll sound.

[Reply]
Merde Furieux 05:55 PM 03-30-2020

[Reply]
Page 5 of 16
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up