ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 63
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
RINGLEADER 11:58 PM 05-19-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Worse than I imagined?

Putting together a well funded series is difficult enough without announcements and promos but good grief, Moonves should know better.
Let's grab lunch sometime :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:12 AM 05-20-2016
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Let's grab lunch sometime :-)
Soon!

I'm finishing up two records for MegaTrax this month but will have some time in June. :-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:12 AM 06-05-2016
Joe Menosky and Aron Coleite have reportedly joined the writing staff of the upcoming "Star Trek" TV series for CBS All Access.

Bryan Fuller ("Hannibal," "American Gods") and Alex Kurtzman ("Fringe," "Sleepy Hollow") are producing the series which also recently hired acclaimed "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" director Nicholas Meyer to produce.

Joe Menosky was staff writer on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager" with his credits including famed episodes like "Darmok," "Clues," "Time's Arrow," "The Chase" and "Suspicions" for TNG along with "The Thaw," "Future's End," "Scorpion," "Distant Origin", "Year of Hell," "The Killing Game," "Hope and Fear," "Timeless," "Equinox," "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" and "Blink of an Eye" for 'Voyager'.

Aron Coleite is a comic book writer best known for his work on "Ultimate X-Men". He also has TV experience, working on all four seasons of NBC's "Heroes". The pair join novelist Kirsten Beyer who has penned numerous "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Buffy" books.

Fuller himself got his start on both DS9 and Voyager, penning episodes like "Empok Nor," "The Raven," "Living Witness," "Drone," "Bride of Chaotica," "Gravity," "Dark Frontier," "Juggernaut," "Relativity," "One Small Step," "Fury," "Flesh and Blood" and "Friendship One".

The new series is not going to be connected to the films, and has been speculated to take place in the original pre-Abrams Trek universe. It is expected to be set in the decades between Kirk and Picard. Production begins later this year for an early 2017 premiere.
[Reply]
pr_capone 02:00 PM 06-05-2016
Joe Menosky and Aron Coleite have reportedly joined the writing staff of the upcoming "Star Trek" TV series for CBS All Access.

Bryan Fuller ("Hannibal," "American Gods") and Alex Kurtzman ("Fringe," "Sleepy Hollow") are producing the series which also recently hired acclaimed "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" director Nicholas Meyer to produce.

Joe Menosky was staff writer on "Star Trek: The Next Generation," "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" and "Star Trek: Voyager" with his credits including famed episodes like "Darmok," "Clues," "Time's Arrow," "The Chase" and "Suspicions" for TNG along with "The Thaw," "Future's End," "Scorpion," "Distant Origin", "Year of Hell," "The Killing Game," "Hope and Fear," "Timeless," "Equinox," "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" and "Blink of an Eye" for 'Voyager'.

Aron Coleite is a comic book writer best known for his work on "Ultimate X-Men". He also has TV experience, working on all four seasons of NBC's "Heroes". The pair join novelist Kirsten Beyer who has penned numerous "Star Trek: Voyager" and "Buffy" books.

Fuller himself got his start on both DS9 and Voyager, penning episodes like "Empok Nor," "The Raven," "Living Witness," "Drone," "Bride of Chaotica," "Gravity," "Dark Frontier," "Juggernaut," "Relativity," "One Small Step," "Fury," "Flesh and Blood" and "Friendship One".

The new series is not going to be connected to the films, and has been speculated to take place in the original pre-Abrams Trek universe. It is expected to be set in the decades between Kirk and Picard. Production begins later this year for an early 2017 premiere.
They are making good hires in regards to this aside from Aron and 3 of his 4 seasons of writing for Heroes.

Still... this all has me feeling like

[Reply]
Bowser 11:21 AM 06-24-2016
Remember all those rumors about Star Trek 2017 being set between Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and Star Trek: The Next Generation? Well showrunner Bryan Fuller says you can forget about them.

Bryan Fuller spoke to Moviefone on the Star Trek 2017 timeline rumors and had this to say:

I mean, it’s funny. I’ve read that we’re [set] before “Next Generation,” after [“Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country,” which is false. I’ve read that it’s an anthology show, which is not accurate. So it’s interesting to see those suggestions, and seeing the truth mixed in with them and going like, “Oh, they got that part right…” But it’s sort of on the truth-o-meter on PolitiFacts. It’s sort of like some truth, and a lot of like, “No — pants on fire! That’s not true.”

We think this is fantastic news, Star Trek needs to move forward not backward. Rehashing the past of Trek has been tried before and it has never inspired or grabbed an audience like moving forward. Star Trek: Enterprise had some great moments, but we aren’t sure the franchise can withstand another Enterprise.

It sounds like Fuller has learned a lesson from Trek’s past and possibly the Star Wars movies. The prequels never got the kind of enthusiasm and support that Star Wars: The Force Awakens got. It might be something to do with an audience wanting to move the story forward, not see it written in reverse.

When Moviefone asked Fuller if we’d be seeing some familiar Star Trek faces all he said was…

Eventually. Eventually.

That probably means we are set after Star Trek Nemesis!

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2016/0...et-before-tng/
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:42 PM 07-24-2016

[Reply]
Bowser 12:45 PM 07-24-2016
NCC-10331

Damn, how far into the Trek future did they go?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:47 PM 07-24-2016
In a packed panel during San Diego Comic-Con, the name of the new Star Trek series—which, in the grand tradition of Star Trek, is also the name of the ship—was revealed. In a press conference after the panel, executive producers Bryan Fuller and Heather Kadin gave just a few more details about the show.

First off, Fuller answered the question of whether the Discovery, just revealed, was based on Ralph McQuarrie’s ‘70s designs for the Enterprise. Fuller said it was, but “to a point that we can’t legally comment on it until [our legal team] figures out some things.”

Kadin was asked about being a woman working behind the scenes of the show and what that meant, and she answered that she takes inspiring women seriously and that Fuller does, too. “As a female, you’ll see, when you start to hear more about the series, that that’s a big part of it,” she added.

Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying “It is in the prime timeline.” He couldn’t say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however.

“I don’t think we’re supposed to say yet because there are so many new things about this series,” Fuller said. that “There’s a lot of new and exciting things we’re doing with this show, that we [don’t] want to [over]saturate you.”
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:49 PM 07-24-2016
Originally Posted by Bowser:
NCC-10331

Damn, how far into the Trek future did they go?

I would guess between Enterprise and the original series.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:54 PM 07-24-2016

I would guess between Enterprise and the original series.
Yep, that's right. Don't know what the hell I was seeing there, lol.

I kind of want it to be a story past TNG, but I get why they don't want to mess with the split realities of TNG universe and the Abrams universe.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:57 PM 07-24-2016
Yep, that's right. Don't know what the hell I was seeing there, lol.

I kind of want it to be a story past TNG, but I get why they don't want to mess with the split realities of TNG universe and the Abrams universe.
The Kelvin Universe will come to an end in the fourth movie, which brings back Hemsworth as Kirk's dad.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:02 PM 07-24-2016
The Kelvin Universe will come to an end in the fourth movie, which brings back Hemsworth as Kirk's dad.
After I typed that, I remembered you mentioning that in the other thread. Curious as to how they'll pull that off. Will it be some type of plot vessel to get Pine's Kirk and crew to continue on in the TOS universe, past the time of Picard (Spock entered the Kelvin Universe from a point 50 years or so past Nemesis in the TOS universe, iirc)?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:44 PM 07-24-2016
After I typed that, I remembered you mentioning that in the other thread. Curious as to how they'll pull that off. Will it be some type of plot vessel to get Pine's Kirk and crew to continue on in the TOS universe, past the time of Picard (Spock entered the Kelvin Universe from a point 50 years or so past Nemesis in the TOS universe, iirc)?
I have no idea how they'll pull it off but essentially, the new Star Trek would, once again, reboot the films.

I guess it would give Paramount a reason to re-cast but it's not as if Zach Quinto and even Chris Pine are lighting the world on fire. But Karl Urban really didn't want to do this film and he's not under contract for the next, so he might be out, eventually.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:49 PM 07-24-2016
Karl Urban has been great as Bones. He was one of the highlights of the latest movie. It would be a shame if they lost him (especially after losing Anton Yelchin, RIP). And agreed about Pine and Quinto - they're both "fine", but neither have that "pop" those roles demand. Urban is an underrated actor. I can't think of much I've seen him in that he wasn't great.

But back to the thread - has anything you're seen or heard convinced you to pay the extra to CBS towatch this? I'm on the fence, personally. Definitely not sold on the idea yet.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:53 PM 07-24-2016
Karl Urban has been great as Bones. He was one of the highlights of the latest movie. It would be a shame if they lost him (especially after losing Anton Yelchin, RIP). And agreed about Pine and Quinto - they're both "fine", but neither have that "pop" those roles demand. Urban is an underrated actor. I can't think of much I've seen him in that he wasn't great.

But back to the thread - has anything you're seen or heard convinced you to pay the extra to CBS towatch this? I'm on the fence, personally. Definitely not sold on the idea yet.
No, nothing I've heard has made me want to pay for this series yet, especially after reading that it'll be available worldwide on Netflix (of which I'm a subscriber) but in America, I'd have to pony up for CBS All Access.

That really leaves a bad taste.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 63
« First < 23456 789101656 > Last »
Up