ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 170
< 1234 56781454104 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Luke Warm 12:27 PM 09-25-2012
Rescue Me
[Reply]
jiveturkey 12:52 PM 09-25-2012
It might seem obvious due to the recent awards but Homeland is a home run.
[Reply]
FishingRod 03:59 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Buehler445:

Tell me about Battlestar Galactica. I never looked into it.

I
Just finished watching the entire series on netflicks. Took me a long time because the wife hates all things Sci Fi. It is nothing short of outstanding. Hot Chicks, violence, betrayal, Imagine part two of the Alien moie series Aliens but 4 seasons of it. and even if you watched the original as a kid, it doesn’t matter because when you think you know what is going to happen... more often than not you are wrong.
[Reply]
oldandslow 04:05 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by FishingRod:
Just finished watching the entire series on netflicks. Took me a long time because the wife hates all things Sci Fi. It is nothing short of outstanding. Hot Chicks, violence, betrayal, Imagine part two of the Alien moie series Aliens but 4 seasons of it. and even if you watched the original as a kid, it doesn’t matter because when you think you know what is going to happen... more often than not you are wrong.
This....one of my all time favorites.
[Reply]
Bump 04:13 PM 09-25-2012
you should definitely record Workaholics too. Funniest show since AD. You don't need to watch them in order either.
[Reply]
oldandslow 04:16 PM 09-25-2012
My top 13 list...and I will include old ones since i am old...and I know bunches of you will pan DS 9 and Cheers, but that's ok...

13) DS 9
12) X-Files
11) Hill Street Blues
10) The Sopranos
9) Firefly
8) MASH
7) Lost
6) The Wire
5) BattleStar Gallatica
4) MadMen
3) Cheers
2) Seinfield
1) All in the Family
[Reply]
aturnis 05:15 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Camelot?!?! CAMELOT?!?! That show was a piece of shit.
So is Spartans, what's your point?
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:13 PM 02-09-2013
So I made it through all the Mad Men series. Fucking amazing. Great acting, plot keeps it's claws in you. Outfuckingstanding. It is absolutely refreshing. Not only is it an interesting and excellent concept, but it is amazingly executed and acted. It is really great.

In other news, I'm surprised (pleasantly) that it is successful. In the fucking trash-reality, ADD society we live in, it is not mindless entertainment. It is precisely the opposite of Michael Bay. And while I love the shit out of it, I'm surprised there is enough viewership that loves it too. Maybe there is hope (probably not)

I also caught Firefly. Some of the production was weak, but I really liked it. A lot. Damn disappointed it didn't get a second season.

Also about to finish House up. It is probably time for it to go, but I really like the the series. I think it will probably go down as one of my favorites.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:20 AM 09-25-2013
I have to add Longmire and Hell on Wheels to the list of must sees. I'm into them now and they don't disappoint.

Justified also is fandamntastic. I'm not caught up yet, but it is excellent. Hopefully this winter I can hit some of the ones I haven't seen hard.
[Reply]
keg in kc 10:24 AM 09-25-2013
I just listened to the audiobook for The Cold Dish (first Longmire book), and I think I'm going to like the book series even more than the show. Which I already like a lot.
[Reply]
Lex Luthor 12:25 PM 09-25-2013
Seasons 1-5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I know, it sounds ridiculous. I refused to watch it for years, despite the fact that the critics were calling it the best show that nobody watches.

Turns out the seasons 1-5 were fantastic. Seasons 6 and 7 were garbage. Don't waste your time on them.

Along the same lines: Seasons 1-4 of Dexter. Seasons 5-8 were garbage.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:34 PM 09-25-2013
Originally Posted by Brainiac:
Seasons 1-5 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I know, it sounds ridiculous. I refused to watch it for years, despite the fact that the critics were calling it the best show that nobody watches.

Turns out the seasons 1-5 were fantastic. Seasons 6 and 7 were garbage. Don't waste your time on them.

Along the same lines: Seasons 1-4 of Dexter. Seasons 5-8 were garbage.
I just picked up the full series of Buffy on Amazon for $60. I'm hoping that it's as good as people say.

I missed Grimm when it first came out and am just now going through Season 1. It's a really fun show (it also helps that I recognize a lot of the places plus there are frequent Beavers sightings). I don't know if Season 2 is as good but Season 1 is definitely recommended. It's only $25 on Blu-ray.
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:51 PM 10-15-2013
Goldbergs is a great new show on ABC.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:54 AM 05-23-2014
Updated for the shows that I've picked up since I started this thread.

Reading through the cancellations thread makes me remember how many shows I don't know about.

Also, there seem to be a lot of decent shows that are coming out of Amazon and Netflix. I want to see House of Cards, but I watched a pilot for the Rebels which looks decent enough, but it's really hard for me to keep track of what actually hits production.

Time to revive this thread. I very much appreciate all the input. It's really led me to some really good shows.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:59 AM 05-23-2014
I will say I was pleasantly surprised by Falling Skies. It wasn't paradigm shifting, but it ended up being a lot better than I anticipated.

The Good Wife is another I didn't expect to be very good and it turned out to be borderline excellent.

Surprisingly enough, Robin Hood on BBC was pretty damned campy at times, but did a good enough job, I wanted to see how it ended. That and it threw enough haymakers in there it just kept me hooked.

Arrow is better than I anticipated. Save the Nolan trilogy, it's better than anything DC has put out in a decade or so.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 170
< 1234 56781454104 > Last »
Up