ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Nzoner's Game Room>Ten Things About Today's game Week 6: KC 26 - Bills 17
gblowfish 07:15 PM 10-19-2020
Ten Things About Today’s Game, Week 6: KC 26 - BUF 17

10. Buffalo is a beautiful place for about a month: May till June. The rest of the time, it sucks out loud. Lake Erie sucks. Lake effect snow five feet high. Niagra Falls isn’t even in Buffalo, and the best part of the Falls are on the Canadian side, anyway. Their local beer is Genesee, which is basically a nastier Natty Light. Their food is nuclear hot chicken wings; the kind of food you regret eating the next morning when you singe your colon. Their stadium is a 1970’s era high school field. I’m sure the Bills Mafia enjoyed drunken stage diving into folding tables in their rec rooms, as it was pissing rain and 50 degrees this entire game. Played on a field made up of wet, ground up bald Goodyear tires, this is one of those games where you just fly in, do your damn job, get wet, kick ass, towel off, come home. This year of NFL Covid Ball has been so weird. I don’t think the Chiefs have ever played a 4pm game on a Monday. This was our fourth national prime game this year; Opening night vs. Texans, Monday night vs. Ravens, weird Covid Monday game vs. Pats, now this one. Bills have only had two national NFL games, including tonight. They’ve lost them both. Bills are not ready for prime time. And Joe Buck? Thank God we can turn on Mitch and Danan Hughes for the play by play. Joe Buck makes me want to kill my family.

9. After the Vegas game, we all agreed that both sides of the Chiefs lines got pushed around and beaten. Flip the scrip this week. Chiefs rushed 46 times for 245 yards, mostly running behind Fisher and Allegretti. Defense gave up only 206 total yards. KC ran 23 more plays than Buffalo. Bills leading rusher was Allen, who ran 8 times for 42 yards. The two Bills TD drives were both sustained by KC penalties, mostly on third down. More on that later.

8. On defense, early on Chris Jones and Frank Clark both showed up this week with good pressure. Chiefs had no sacks, but chased Allen all over the field and forced many bad throws. Allen only threw for 122 yards and one of his TD passes was on an all pro toe drag by Diggs. His other TD to Mrs Beasley was just a basic crossing route in front of Thornhill.

7. Buffalo had 20 first downs; five of those were on Chiefs defensive penalties. Breeland had a pretty bad night. He was responsible for at least three of those first downs on DPI or Illegal Contacts. Our defensive backs seemed to jam John Brown in the grill over and over again. Nnadi played well, team only gave up 17 points on the road. Dirty Dan got a game closing pick. Major turnaround from last week, and kudos to Spags for getting things cleaned up and back on the rails.

6. Mitch the Kitch walked very gingerly to the locker room after the first series. Austin Reiter was replaced by Kilgore, who except for one snap exchange fumble by PMII played a great game. Fisher showed why he was worthy of a first round pick. He road graded for CEH, who ran for 161 yards and averaged over six yards a carry. Line busted Darrel Williams on a fourth and one for a game dagger 13 yard TD scamper.

5. Kelce caught five for 65 and two big TDs. Patrick set the Chiefs record for 16 straight games throwing a TD pass. And big kudos to Byron Pringle, who came up with a huge 37 yard catch on 3rd and 14 to sustain the drive where Buttkicker got his final field goal. Hardman has yet to surface as a replacement for Watkins. Robinson was the man tonight with five for 69 yards. Patrick only had eight incomplete passes. He continues to mature.

4. Chiefs caught a couple breaks, despite the fact that Buffalo didn’t get a single penalty in the first half. On Buffalo’s first drive, they ran Brown deep into the end zone, flag was thrown, then picked up in the end zone. That would have given the Bills the ball first and goal on the four. Instead they settled for a field goal. With five minutes left in the game, Kelce digs a ball up off the turf for a first down. Chiefs hurry to the line and snap the ball before it can be reviewed. They hand the ball to CEH, who gets swallowed up, and the ball popped out on the way to the ground. Luckily his knee hit a nanosecond before the ball was ripped out. Close...could have flipped the game momentum. Buffalo actually received a beneficial penalty. At the beginning of the fourth quarter, Buffalo tried a quick snap QB sneak on 4th and short on their own 30 yard line. Chiefs stoned him. Refs then threw a flag and said Bills O-Line false started. That waived the play off, and the Bills then punted, Chiefs fielded the punt, held on the play, got the ball on their own six yard line instead of on the Bills 30. So…sometimes the refs bail your ass out with a penalty.

3. Patrick had only one pass over 30 yards to Pringle late in the fourth quarter. Everything else was short to intermediate. Very patient. And Patrick continued to look like vintage young Horse Face. Bills were playing deep over the top to stop Tyreek, tried to keep everything in front of them. When they did, Patrick would just roll out, and either wait for somebody to break open, or simply run for the first down. He ran 10 times, which is a lot more than I’d like to see, but he’s been pretty smart about getting down when he needs to.

2. Buttkicker still shaky on XPAs. He seems to be fine on field goals, but he’s having some kind of yips with the XPAs. Luckily he hasn’t cost us a game yet. Our special teams have been in the bottom quarter of the league so far this year. Still having penalties on kickoffs and punts. Buffalo’s guy out punted our guy by a ton, averaged 14 more yards per punt. Something to work on, anyway.

1. So KC goes to 5-1. Vegas gets a red hot Tommy Boy next week, while we get a shaky Drew Lock and the Donks. Lock tried like Hell to blow the Pats game last week with two fourth quarter picks, but Newton just couldn’t get that last drive together. At the six game mark, if we were told we’d be 5 and 1, I think we all would have said we’d gladly take that. Looking at the schedule before the season started, everybody had Baltimore and Buffalo on the road as possible losses, and we won both. So things are looking pretty good. On to spanking those Donks!
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:00 AM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
We don't owe them shit. They drafted Kelly and the Chiefs drafted Blackledge.

Do you remember who took out Montana in the AFCCG? Remember where that happened?

Fuck the Bills.

[Reply]
Boon 08:17 AM 10-21-2020
Nice read. Again. And who does Joe Buck suck to have a job?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:21 AM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
I would have to go back and look but I think Brown must do a nice job of raising his hands so that the defenders hands go up into the face instead of his pads. Don't know that I have seen that before, thought it was interesting.
Go job George...

I watched the game and I believe the weather and rain on the Jerseys when we jammed were causing the hands to slip and move to the mask.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:26 AM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Good write up George.

I may be in the minority here, but I wasnt 100% ok with the gameplan continuing on through the 4th quarter.

Maybe I'm still scarred for life, but tonight reminded me of games with Marty in the 90s where we let a team hang around long enough, and then relied on the offense to get a first down to ice the game - then watch as they dont get it, and the other team wins on a late TD.

We have a ferrari at QB, and we kept it in the garage.

I LOVE seeing us run the ball down their throats, but it would be nice to let Pat be Pat.

Wonder if this was a response to Pat trying to force things downfield too much last week, and not take what the D was giving us?
Also, if teams are going to play their LB's 7 yards back and drop 7-8 every snap, you have to punish a few teams with the run before they start realizing this isn't the answer to the chiefs... We took what they gave us and dominated the game on a cold night from beginning to end.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:37 AM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Sometimes its auto correct. Sometimes I'm just tired and don't copy edit myself close enough. Sorry I'll try to do better.

And you have to admit, who spells their name beginning with two "N's?"
Nnot very many... Come on George, pick up the slack.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:49 AM 10-21-2020
Buffalo News blaming refs and lack of a running game for loss:
https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/
From one of the articles:

Originally Posted by :
Better Late Than Never: Buck was right that Allen was incorrectly given a first down on a run during a Bills touchdown drive. But it took a few minutes for Fox to show a clear replay to confirm the quarterback was about two yards short. However, Fox had a great quick look that showed Edwards-Helaire fumbled after his knee was down and the Bills recovery late in the game was overturned.
I would have still challenged, but I don't think the Chiefs had a clear replay of Allen being out of bounds until after the next play.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
would have still challenged, but I don't think the Chiefs had a clear replay of Allen being out of bounds until after the next play.
It was early in the game and the refs were already making questionable calls. No reason really to challenge and potentially lose a timeout to their ineptitude.
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:03 AM 10-21-2020
I've been thinking about third and less than a yard. We don't want to risk a QB sneak with Patrick since his freak injury in Denver last year. Why not put Kelce under center and sneak it with him? Nobody's gonna stop him when we need less than a yard.
[Reply]
BlackOp 11:20 AM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
This isn't some kind of trend. They did it once because of weather, injuries, and the need to prove to teams that playing 7-8 DB's wasn't going to work.
Buffalo was starting some players off the practice squad too...

It was cool to watch...but the arrival of Bell is going to force teams to abandon the Belichick blueprint.

That method was only working because KC's running game was non-existent.

Mahomes took a lot of screen passes this game...which is what he should have done the moment teams started copying this strategy. They have been there the entire time...

They were using his strengths against him...playing hero ball and always going for the kill shot.
[Reply]
HayWire 11:39 AM 10-21-2020
I've been thinking about third and less than a yard. We don't want to risk a QB sneak with Patrick since his freak injury in Denver last year. Why not put Kelce under center and sneak it with him? Nobody's gonna stop him when we need less than a yard.

My initial thought is it's a good idea. I wonder about the exchange from center though. That's a lot different than catching a pass
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:32 PM 10-21-2020
Kelce played some QB at Cincinnati.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:01 PM 10-21-2020
It's retarded to restrict Mahomes from running a QB sneak because he was injured running one by freak accident last season. He's not made of glass. Heck, how many sneaks has Brady run in his career without injury? Hundreds? And there's no way you can tell me that Brady is sturdier than Mahomes. That's just stupid.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:04 PM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
It's retarded to restrict Mahomes from running a QB sneak because he was injured running one by freak accident last season. He's not made of glass. Heck, how many sneaks has Brady run in his career without injury? Hundreds? And there's no way you can tell me that Brady is sturdier than Mahomes. That's just stupid.
Ehhh.....its all about mitigating risk with your 100 million dollar investment. Id rather them hand off to a RB for sure. Maybe in the playoffs, super bowl you do that. But not some random game in October.
[Reply]
HayWire 01:20 PM 10-21-2020
Kelce played some QB at Cincinnati.
Then that would solve that problem. Only other thing I could think of is it almost certainly takes the chance of a pass off the table. If Mahomes is under center you still have to respect the pass to an extent.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:13 PM 10-21-2020
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
From one of the articles:

I would have still challenged, but I don't think the Chiefs had a clear replay of Allen being out of bounds until after the next play.
Totally agree. And I think it was more that somebody was asleep at the wheel than a strategy to see if they'd need the challenges at a later point. It's not like they carry over like cell phone minutes.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up