ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock (9/26)
Direckshun 01:26 PM 09-26-2020
Assumptions:

1. The Chiefs repeat as Super Bowl champions. HC Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach are retained.

2. The 2021 salary cap remains he same roughly $200m it was in 2020.

3. The Chiefs trade OT Eric Fisher for a 2nd and a 5th.

4. The Chiefs extend OT Mitchell Schwartz (4 years, $45m), S Tyrann Mathieu (4 years, $58m).

5. The Chiefs tender RB Darrel Williams, WR Byron Pringle, TE Deon Yelder, OG Andrew Wylie, ILB Ben Niemann, CB Charvarius Ward.

6. The Chiefs re-sign OG Kelechi Osemele (2 years, $16m); DE Taco Charlton (1 year, $4m), S Dan Sorensen (2 years, $5m).

7. The Chiefs re-sign to a minimal deals FB Anthony Sherman, WR Marcus Kemp, TE Nick Keizer, OL Mike Remmers, C Daniel Kilgore, DE Demone Harris, CB Antonio Hamilton.

8. The Chiefs let walk QB Matt Moore, WR Sammy Watkins, WR Demarcus Robinson, TE Ricky Seals-Jones, C Austin Reiter, DT Mike Pennel, DT Braxton Hoyett, DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, OLB Damien Wilson, CB Bashaud Breeland, CB Alex Brown, S Tedric Thompson.

9. The Chiefs sign no notable free agents.

10. The Chiefs net two compensatory picks, a 4th and a 5th. They are picking 32nd.

The draft:

1. WR Seth Williams, Auburn
2 (Fisher). DE Patriick Jones II, Pitt
2. C Trey Hill, Georgia
3. WR Terrance Marshall, LSU
4. OT Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
4 (Fuller). CB Deommodore Lenoir, Oregon
5 (Fisher). OLB Deangelo Malone, Western Kentucky
5. S Talanoa Hufanga, USC
5 (Ogbah). DT Glen Logan, LSU
7. QB Brady White, Memphis

QB: Mahomes, Henne, White
RB: Edwards-Helaire, Williams, Williams, Thompson
FB: Sherman

WR: Hill, Hardman, Pringle, Williams, Marshall, Kemp
TE: Kelce, Keizer, Yelder

LT: Niang, Remmers
LG: Osemele, Wylie
C: Hill, Kilgore
RG: Duvarney-Tardif, Rankin
RT: Schwartz, Slater

DE: Clark, Danna
DT: Jones, Wharton
DT: Nnadi, Saunders, Logan
DE: Jones, Charlton, Harris

OLB: Gay, O'Daniel
ILB: Hitchens, Niemann
OLB: Malone, Cobb

CB: Ward, Sneed, Fenton, Keyes, Hamilton, Lenoir
S: Mathieu, Thornhill, Sorensen, Watts, Hufanga

K: Butker
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:34 PM 09-26-2020
I'm still tinkering around with an offseason where the cap doesn't go up, and it keeps getting harder for me to keep Fisher on the roster.

I'll be doing offseasons where we do, but do the Chiefs want to go back to the convert-salary-into-bonuses option so damn soon with Mahomes/Jones/Kelce? Maybe.

At the end of the day, it depends on if Niang is worth anything. The whole reason they drafted him was because they probably figured they couldn't keep Schwartz and Fisher both. So I think letting Fish walk is the preferable option.

The Chiefs elect to retain neither Okafor or Kpassagnon, but honestly Charlton was outplaying Kpassagnon anyway through the first two weeks. I'm still a big fan of Demone Harris, and I think he's a strong-side starter if he can piece together some passrush moves. I still spend a 2nd at the position anyway, because Spags looooves overloading at DE.

I think Sneed's emergence means we don't have to take a corner high, though I still would because Fenton can't be trusted, but hey I only have so many picks.

I worry a bit about the WR corps a bit, as there's no clear Sammy Watkins replacement, but maybe Hardman takes the next step this year. I'm also expecting further progression for Mahomes, and Year 4 Mahomes is going to be close to the Peak Mahomes era we're all dying to see -- though we may already be there. But I spent a 1st and a 3rd on the position because I think that's what Veach wants to do anyway.

I'm really starting to see the need to draft multiple linebackers in 2021, but at this time I've refrained. If Gay continues to ride the pine, however, and Hitchens can't pull his shit together, there's going to be some dramatic actions.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:38 PM 09-26-2020
:-)

The Chiefs are not trading Fisher and replacing him with a guy that hasn't played football in 2 years.
[Reply]
Hoover 04:53 PM 09-26-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
:-)

The Chiefs are not trading Fisher and replacing him with a guy that hasn't played football in 2 years.
I agree.

I also think we would take a different approach to the draft. I just don't think it makes any sense to draft a WR in the first round. Sure we should grab one somewhere in the draft, but it makes far more sense to address the OT position or a defensive playmaker. But drafting two WRs with our first four picks? I'll pass.

I get that we need WRs, but I also think the Chiefs can benefit from having vet WRS who are looking for work that would be will to come play on "prove it deals" knowing that Pat would be their QB. We need to let Veach get creative. It's the one position that I think we can get away with looking for bargains in the near term.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:36 AM 09-27-2020
I don't think there is a chance Veach goes WR in round 1. If he does go DE early, I'd probably slide Jones up to that slot and I like Jones a whole bunch.

And speaking of WR, since when has Reid ever coveted a couple of big guys at the position that aren't all that quick? It's not that I don't like them, hell I think Seth Williams will be a star. That said, I don't see either as really great fits for what Reid does and likes. I'd say guys like Marquez Stephenson and Isaiah McKoy are much better fits in that 6' area plus.

I am also in agreement that Fisher is going absolutely nowhere. If they get rid of a tackle, my thoughts would be Schwartz first and they plug Niang in there. That said, I think they extend Fisher and make the cap situation there work.

I really like Lenoir out of Oregon and I think he's going to be a solid mid-range pick.

I don't know how you see Malone being a fit here. He's more of a fit as a 3-4 OLB that needs to gain weight. I dunno, not buying that one.

Definitely agree on O-line early. I don't think Veach will sit on it again after watching Pat get chased around too much already this year.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:37 AM 09-27-2020
I was all for extending Schwartz a couple months ago, but now I wanna see him elevate his play again first. Let’s make sure this isn’t a permanent regression.
[Reply]
Hoover 12:06 PM 09-27-2020
Didn't we just tweak Mitch's contract?
[Reply]
kccrow 03:21 PM 09-27-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Didn't we just tweak Mitch's contract?
Last year they converted some base to signing bonus and extended him 1 year through 2021.
[Reply]
Dante84 08:48 PM 09-27-2020
I can definitely seeing us grabbing a TE or WR in round 1, a value pick like CEH was at the end of the round.
[Reply]
Up