ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1803 of 3903
« First < 803130317031753179317991800180118021803 180418051806180718131853190323032803 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 05:55 PM 05-03-2020
Missouri residents who tipped off county about lockdown rule-breakers fear retaliation after details of more than 900 'snitches' are released online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-release.html
[Reply]
tk13 06:04 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I'm not trying to be mean or judgmental, but I'm also trying to put a broader perspective about the actual dynamics of the situation. People aren't itching to get out because they're bored, they're not getting promising data on resolution while the data on consequences of their sacrifice piles up. It's not about wanting an ice cream cone on the first week in May, it's starting to bristle that things could stretch on for months with nothing more for guidance than 'stay inside until we say otherwise.'

And before people slam me for HOLDING these positions, I'm merely trying to empathize with and give voice to them, instead of less reasoned or charitable interpretations.
Yeah all those people on the beach are really making a blistering statement about the consequences of their sacrifice.

Get real, a big part of it is that isolation is extremely hard on people's mental health. Trying to bury it in some kind of "we're going to kill the economy" message is really disingenuous.

The economy was going to get blasted either way in this. You can pretend to ignore the train that's coming down the tracks at you, but it's still going to hurt just as bad when it hits you. Anyone who acts like life could have carried on as normal and the economy wouldn't be wrecked by this is completely detached from reality.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 06:04 PM 05-03-2020
This projects over 200k deaths with the reopening

https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/sta...291192322?s=19
[Reply]
eDave 06:06 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:

No. But what is our accepted level going to be?
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:07 PM 05-03-2020
Mitigation is a 2 way street
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 06:08 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
One thing that has not been fully appreciated is the significant morbidity that will accompany those that get this bug and survive.
Primarily for those that go on ventilators and survive correct? Because if they predict 60%-70% are going to get this wouldn’t be good if a large percentage see significant life expectancy hits.

Man I hope my Covid test comes back negative and antibodies a resounding positive. I think I’ve identified where I got the pneumonia (which feels 100x better already btw), wife said the reason she threw our humidifiers out was because the last time she used them in our Master bedroom (when we were all sick with some viral shit last month) the water was all gross and slimy when she went to refill it. That’s like a perfect storm for chest infection, pull out a humidifier to help when you’re sick and then find out after 2 days of running in a moderate space that it has slimy bacteria in it. Woman’s trying to kill me. :-) With the economy the way it’s headed I’m certainly worth more dead than alive.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:11 PM 05-03-2020

So basically, 350k are going to die regardless, right? We're not isolating to save lives, we're isolating to ease the burden on our health care system and facilities if I understand all of this correctly. Isolating just means it's going to take longer to kill the same number of people, if I'm reading that correctly.
[Reply]
Spott 06:12 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Missouri residents who tipped off county about lockdown rule-breakers fear retaliation after details of more than 900 'snitches' are released online

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-release.html
They should do the same thing with the people that rat their neighbors out for HOA violations.
[Reply]
tk13 06:15 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
So basically, 350k are going to die regardless, right? We're not isolating to save lives, we're isolating to ease the burden on our health care system and facilities if I understand all of this correctly. Isolating just means it's going to take longer to kill the same number of people, if I'm reading that correctly.
That's entirely possible, but it's also reason 395 the Sweden philosophy is a risk that could end up looking stupid.

It may not make a difference at all, and then that's that, unfortunately... but say we get lucky and the virus mutates into a less dangerous form and dies off, or we do find some kind of vaccine or at least a treatment that helps saves lives and changes the outlook and projections on this thing.

Then everyone who said "just get it over with" and tried to ram through herd immunity is going to have caused thousands and thousands of unnecessary deaths.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:19 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by The PMII Hypothesis:
Primarily for those that go on ventilators and survive correct? Because if they predict 60%-70% are going to get this wouldn’t be good if a large percentage see significant life expectancy hits.

Man I hope my Covid test comes back negative and antibodies a resounding positive. I think I’ve identified where I got the pneumonia (which feels 100x better already btw), wife said the reason she threw our humidifiers out was because the last time she used them in our Master bedroom (when we were all sick with some viral shit last month) the water was all gross and slimy when she went to refill it. That’s like a perfect storm for chest infection, pull out a humidifier to help when you’re sick and then find out after 2 days of running in a moderate space that it has slimy bacteria in it. Woman’s trying to kill me. :-) With the economy the way it’s headed I’m certainly worth more dead than alive.
More likely for those, but if this is also causing cardiac damage and coagulopathies, those are significant risks for months-years down the line.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:20 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
That's entirely possible, but it's also reason 395 the Sweden philosophy could end up looking stupid.

It may not make a difference at all, and then that's that... but say we get lucky and the virus mutates into a less dangerous form and dies off, or we do find some kind of vaccine or treatment that helps saves lives and changes the outlook and projections on this thing.

Then everyone who said "just get it over with" and tried to ram through herd immunity is going to have caused thousands and thousands of unnecessary deaths.
The frustrating part is that there seems to be no solid information on how to deal with this thing. We're flying by the seat of our pants trying to extrapolate data that seemingly changes daily. Eventually there is going to have to come a line in the sand we and the world will have to cross. However that turns out, you're going to have people upset over it.

I'll admit I'm in the "rip the band-aid off" camp right now. Might be smart, might be real stupid, but we just don't know. And it's very frustrating (redundant point is redundant).
[Reply]
TLO 06:23 PM 05-03-2020

Yeah and the IMHE model at one point said we'd be around 60k deaths overall.
[Reply]
O.city 06:25 PM 05-03-2020
You stretch it out to give the medical community time to figure it out
[Reply]
tk13 06:25 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
The frustrating part is that there seems to be no solid information on how to deal with this thing. We're flying by the seat of our pants trying to extrapolate data that seemingly changes daily. Eventually there is going to have to come a line in the sand we and the world will have to cross. However that turns out, you're going to have people upset over it.

I'll admit I'm in the "rip the band-aid off" camp right now. Might be smart, might be real stupid, but we just don't know. And it's very frustrating (redundant point is redundant).
No it's true, there's so much that we don't know, we could look back a year from now and see this thing was handled all wrong. I'm not sure about any of these projections. But it is pretty clear the thing has a pretty good shot of killing 100k people here, which is pretty brutal. And that's with most people not going to work. I don't see any evidence the thing is slowing down, especially in these places like nursing homes and meat plants where people are in close contact all the time. I think you'll be able to re-open some things but I have no idea how you send people back to large workplaces. Someone smarter than me will have to figure that out.
[Reply]
TLO 06:26 PM 05-03-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
More likely for those, but if this is also causing cardiac damage and coagulopathies, those are significant risks for months-years down the line.
But how common is this?
[Reply]
Page 1803 of 3903
« First < 803130317031753179317991800180118021803 180418051806180718131853190323032803 > Last »
Up