ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How will the Goodell statement impact the NFL near-term?
jerryaldini 06:56 PM 06-05-2020
What's the near-term impact on the league of Goodell's surprisingly clear and forceful statement?

Do you believe certain owners (e.g. Jones, Snyder) will push back? Any indication owners were consulted?

Will Bienemy and other minorities get fast tracked now? Will players use their newfound leverage to demand this and other change? Any threat of an impasse with owners refusing to concede changes in hiring policy, allowing protest, the league funding initiatives?

Will unity among players increase or will there be a clear divide among them? Are the Chiefs with their player and executive leadership better positioned to manage this?

Any significant impact on the NFL’s global brand and revenues? Discuss.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:34 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
The fans are paying for the entertainment. That doesn't make them royalty, but it does make them the consumer and thus the final arbiter.
EXACTLY. So you have a choice not to watch. The players get paid less. Everyone has choices to make.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:37 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
No one ever claimed that their message is more valid than any random black person’s off the street. But that random black person is never going to have the reach and focus that these athletes do and he’s never going to get in front of YOU with his message. So if they choose to express themselves like this, at least you can have some understanding of where they’re coming from.

Your choice to be a fan and your choice to listen to them.
Thing is, given the format the actual message is 'the anthem is playing and they are kneeling' . . . that's it.

The rest is a bunch of ancillary interests from the broadcasters to social media to the 24/7 news cycle advocating THEIR version of what that ambiguous message means and what you must do in response.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:38 PM 06-06-2020
EXACTLY. So you have a choice not to watch. The players get paid less. Everyone has choices to make.
Are you open to us judging your every leisure choice and non-choice, or is that reserved for you judging Rainman?
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:44 PM 06-06-2020
Historically sports has been an important vehicle to bring social issues to a broader audience. Jesse Owens, Jackie Robinson, Bill Russell, Ali, Jim Brown, Tommie Smith, UTEP basketball, Arthur Ashe, Bill Walton, Kaep.

Like it or not athletes have outsize influence and are a bridge between minority and white communities. You can bet that if Mahomes takes a stand on an issue a kid in KC is going to take note much more so than if a politician or some protesters do. This week I've learned by listening to athletes talk about their personal and professional experience with these issues. Sermon over.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:46 PM 06-06-2020
But...but...I want to watch football. I was raised in a world where the price of watching a game is sitting through a bunch of bad commercials, and I made the decision that it's worth it. If the price of watching a game is now watching commercials and listening to players' political statements, then yeah, that's another factor in my viewing decision. So I agree with you there. I'm just saying that I would rather watch the game without that added cost.

That's not an intent to squelch anyone. If Laremy Tunsil or Britt Colquitt has strong opinions about foreign adoption or GMO grains, great. I'm not averse at all to hearing from them when I'm in the mood to learn about foreign adoptions, and maybe I can learn from their perspective. Laremy can talk to NFL Network about having a "Laremy Tunsil Policy Hour", and if enough people watch it, then they've got a hit on their hands. (And frankly, I'd be more likely to watch the "Laremy Tunsil Policy Hour" than anything about the patriots, but that's another issue.) I just think that the football and politics should be packaged separately.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:50 PM 06-06-2020
He's not exactly saying that. He's saying 'when I sit down to watch football, I hope to watch football.'

If you went into McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac, and they sized you up and gave you a side-salad instead, along with a lecture on responsible consumption, how often would you return, and how simplistic, narrowminded and selfish would that make you?
In the NFL scenario, you still get the Big Mac and can skip the rest. Why did you leave that (fairly important) part out?

Honestly, MCD already does that to some extent with their ever-changing menu boards suggesting salads and other options.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:58 PM 06-06-2020
When I was a kid Emmet Thomas moved in down the street, the first black in the neighborhood, and my first exposure to black people. I'll never forget the Saturday morning I timidly went to his house to get his autograph and he brought me upstairs and I got to watch some of the Notre Dame game with him. I'd later get to hang around several of the other black players at his house. Great example of sports bridging a gap that never would have happened otherwise.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:59 PM 06-06-2020
Are you open to us judging your every leisure choice and non-choice, or is that reserved for you judging Rainman?
This is interesting. I guess I never knew ChiefsPlanet was a non-judgmental safe space. When parents of players who wandered in were attacked, when people on the verge of suicide were told to go for it, when recovering drug addicts were told they'd never amount to anything, that seemed par for the course. "Drink antifreeze" is practically the tour de force retort here.

In all seriousness, he posted about it on a public forum. I was disappointed and disagreed. It's not as if I deliberately sought out his opinion and attacked him for it.

I love Rainman. He's the best poster here next to valipass who apparently has been here since I was sucking my mother's dick.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:00 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
In the NFL scenario, you still get the Big Mac and can skip the rest. Why did you leave that (fairly important) part out?

Honestly, MCD already does that to some extent with their ever-changing menu boards suggesting salads and other options.
It may be slightly different than your point, but I really despise being asked if I want something else when I order. I have to bite my tongue to avoid rudeness because I know the person asking is just following the orders of some soulless and sleazy corporate manager, but I really, really dislike it. It wastes my time and it wastes theirs, and I think less of the company every time I'm asked.

I wonder what the ROI is on that. I guess the corporate people view it as something with zero cost and a potential benefit, but it sure degrades my customer experience. I bet it decreases my future visits by a statistically significant 1.8 percent.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:03 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It may be slightly different than your point, but I really despise being asked if I want something else when I order. I have to bite my tongue to avoid rudeness because I know the person asking is just following the orders of some soulless and sleazy corporate manager, but I really, really dislike it. It wastes my time and it wastes theirs, and I think less of the company every time I'm asked.

I wonder what the ROI is on that. I guess the corporate people view it as something with zero cost and a potential benefit, but it sure degrades my customer experience. I bet it decreases my future visits by a statistically significant 1.8 percent.
Would you like to make that a combo?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:03 PM 06-06-2020
I feel as if I inadvertently fomented conflict. I hope everyone shakes hands afterwards (or whatever we can do now in the covid era) and agrees that we're a band of Chiefs brothers regardless of any disagreements. I don't like conflict. It reminds me of the incident on my eighth birthday.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:05 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Would you like to make that a combo?
I fear that at some point it may be my undoing. I'll be having a bad day when some sixteen year old kid asks me that, and I'll suddenly be flying over the counter, fists flying in a blind rage. And then I'll get convicted of felony assault on a minor and I won't be able to walk by the neighborhood school any more.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:06 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I feel as if I inadvertently fomented conflict. I hope everyone shakes hands afterwards (or whatever we can do now in the covid era) and agrees that we're a band of Chiefs brothers regardless of any disagreements. I don't like conflict. It reminds me of the incident on my eighth birthday.
I think it would help if you cleared up one very important thing:

Do the Ermines have an official comment on the kneeling?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:09 PM 06-06-2020
I think it would help if you cleared up one very important thing:

Do the Ermines have an official comment on the kneeling?
In a fortunate coincidence, Ermines don't have knees so it's never been an issue. But we're worried about facing controversy once our support of snapping rabbits' spinal cords with our teeth becomes public.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:12 PM 06-06-2020
This is interesting. I guess I never knew ChiefsPlanet was a non-judgmental safe space. When parents of players who wandered in were attacked, when people on the verge of suicide were told to go for it, when recovering drug addicts were told they'd never amount to anything, that seemed par for the course. "Drink antifreeze" is practically the tour de force retort here.

In all seriousness, he posted about it on a public forum. I was disappointed and disagreed. It's not as if I deliberately sought out his opinion and attacked him for it.

I love Rainman. He's the best poster here next to valipass who apparently has been here since I was sucking my mother's dick.
Would you agree that it actually isn't all that selfish to hope to be entertained by your entertainment.

Or at least if it is selfish, it's a selfish in a universally acceptable manner where everyone is a little selfish in their leisure pursuits?

As an aside, that might clear up the perspective a bit. I try to devote a portion of my leisure or idle time to things I find objectionable or that I'm critical of, . . I seek out controversial pundits, or diverse documentaries, or entertainment from demographics that would otherwise be foreign to me. But that's my choice, just like my choice to watch football. I choose to do that when I do, because I personally find some leisure in keeping my mind active by contronting and critiquing different perspectives and refining and/or reinforcing my own perspective. My choice.

And it does get tiring after a while to have people thinking that, since you're captive to their entertainment offering, and you likely haven't broadened your horizons, and you are in need of education instead of what you bargained for.

It's reminiscent of the omnipresence of Dear Leader in NK, this lovely park brought to you by Dear Leader, don't forget to thank Dear Leader for this bowl of rice, Dear Leader's foresight has endowed these musicians you are listening to with marvelous skill. Sometimes you need a respite from messaging and that should be within your control as a consumer in a free society.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 8
« First < 34567 8 >
Up