ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How will the Goodell statement impact the NFL near-term?
jerryaldini 06:56 PM 06-05-2020
What's the near-term impact on the league of Goodell's surprisingly clear and forceful statement?

Do you believe certain owners (e.g. Jones, Snyder) will push back? Any indication owners were consulted?

Will Bienemy and other minorities get fast tracked now? Will players use their newfound leverage to demand this and other change? Any threat of an impasse with owners refusing to concede changes in hiring policy, allowing protest, the league funding initiatives?

Will unity among players increase or will there be a clear divide among them? Are the Chiefs with their player and executive leadership better positioned to manage this?

Any significant impact on the NFL’s global brand and revenues? Discuss.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:10 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
He's not exactly saying that. He's saying 'when I sit down to watch football, I hope to watch football.'

If you went into McDonalds and ordered a Big Mac, and they sized you up and gave you a side-salad instead, along with a lecture on responsible consumption, how often would you return, and how simplistic, narrowminded and selfish would that make you?
Sorry, did I miss the part where the players who kneel don’t participate in the game afterward?

If he sits down to watch football, he will watch football. But he might need to see that the players want to share something they feel is important. Something so important to them that they’re willing to do potential harm to their economic futures to effect some level of change.

If you want to provide an apt metaphor, here it is: you go into McDonalds and order a Big Mac. You get your Big Mac - great - but they add a side salad with an insert that reminds people that having a salad everyday reduces heart disease by 6.82%. You can throw away the salad and say, “Fuck you. I came for the Big Mac. And damn it’s good.” Or you can think, “Hey, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if I started giving this salad thing a try.” OR, you could go full CP and exclaim, “FUCK THIS. No one is going to put a salad in front of me when I’m at McDonalds. I’m going to Wendy’s where I don’t have to put up with this.”

I’d much rather watch football and not have to think about anything else. It’s my release and escape. Of course. But I’ve honestly learned a lot since players started kneeling that’s had me thinking about things in a different way. So I applaud them for keeping it up.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:11 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Just drop the anthem altogether. Leave the military out of it too. Nothing but the game. After a couple years, when everyone has settled down, they can reevaluate if they want but for now just line up and play with no non-game related accompaniment.
Or just leave them in the locker room. As it was for the entire time the NFL existed until after, I think 9/11?
[Reply]
vailpass 08:16 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Or just leave them in the locker room. As it was for the entire time the NFL existed until after, I think 9/11?
I hear you but right now I’m not sure there aren’t some segments who wouldn’t create an issue no matter when it’s played. So fine. Let’s just have the game and leave it at that. Have the football players play football during the time people are paying to see them and they can express themselves however they wish on their own time.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:16 PM 06-06-2020
Get over yourself. Jesus Christ.
I apologize in advance if I’ve confused you with someone else, but you’re a Broncos fan posting incessantly on a Chiefs message board, no?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...t-march-denver

Sorry if you’ve been having a rough day as your sports world comes crashing down around you faster than the average Elway draft pick.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:17 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Sorry, did I miss the part where the players who kneel don’t participate in the game afterward?

If he sits down to watch football, he will watch football. But he might need to see that the players want to share something they feel is important. Something so important to them that they’re willing to do potential harm to their economic futures to effect some level of change.

If you want to provide an apt metaphor, here it is: you go into McDonalds and order a Big Mac. You get your Big Mac - great - but they add a side salad with an insert that reminds people that having a salad everyday reduces heart disease by 6.82%. You can throw away the salad and say, “**** you. I came for the Big Mac. And damn it’s good.” Or you can think, “Hey, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if I started giving this salad thing a try.” OR, you could go full CP and exclaim, “**** THIS. No one is going to put a salad in front of me when I’m at McDonalds. I’m going to Wendy’s where I don’t have to put up with this.”

I’d much rather watch football and not have to think about anything else. It’s my release and escape. Of course. But I’ve honestly learned a lot since players started kneeling that’s had me thinking about things in a different way. So I applaud them for keeping it up.
Who decided he needs to see that during a game? You?
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:19 PM 06-06-2020
I’m policing nothing. I’m saying someone who essentially holds the view of “Just throw the football - I don’t care what you have to say” is reducing these people to football players and little else. And I’m reminding that person that they’re under no obligation to watch the games, buy merchandise, or do anything else to contribute to their salaries.

These things police themselves.
Well, in my world they are indeed nothing but football players. That's the real value they have to me. I mean, I think Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce are awesome and maybe we'd be pals if we worked together, but the truth is that we don't. I watch them play football, and I enjoy watching them play football.

I can understand that some NFL players might want to use their celebrity status as a pulpit for other things. I'm also willing to bet that many of them wish that they weren't asked to speak about issues beyond football, and they just want to be football players. There's nothing wrong with either stance.

But as a fan I have that option as well. I don't think that Marshawn Lynch or Christian McCaffrey or Baker Mayfield has a more valid opinion about global warming or job training than you or I do. Some people may be really interested in their politics and opinions off the field, and that's fine. But I just want to watch them play football, and that's fine too. Once they're on the field, we're all happy.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:20 PM 06-06-2020
I apologize in advance if I’ve confused you with someone else, but you’re a Broncos fan posting incessantly on a Chiefs message board, no?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...t-march-denver

Sorry if you’ve been having a rough day as your sports world comes crashing down around you faster than the average Elway draft pick.
I was here when you were still sucking your mom’s dick boy. I’ll own every bit of the asshole Bronco moniker from those qualified to mete it out, that doesn’t include the likes of you.

Now that we’ve addressed your subject change attempt shall we get back on track with the discussion at hand?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:22 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Simply put, you're a cunt.
I'd ask what your fucking problem is, but I suspect I know better than you can even express.

I asked you one simple question, and instead of answering it you started with the personal attacks. Someone else takes you to task for your sloppy reasoning, and instead of refuting him, you accuse him of being a hyper-accurate asshole like me. And now you're extending your vitriol to conversations you aren't even in.

If Rainman has a problem with my post, I'll listen. You're just an angry hothead who gets angrier the wronger he's proven.

I don't even have that much of a beef with you, but as ALWAYS your rage is an ugly personality defect. You really need to work on the difference between people proving your opinion or take incorrect and a personal attack. Because you have a distressing habit to get angrier and angrier the more facts or reason disputes your posts. Just say 'I see it different' and walk away, or say 'that's a good point, thanks for pointing it out.'
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:24 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, in my world they are indeed nothing but football players. That's the real value they have to me. I mean, I think Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce are awesome and maybe we'd be pals if we worked together, but the truth is that we don't. I watch them play football, and I enjoy watching them play football.

I can understand that some NFL players might want to use their celebrity status as a pulpit for other things. I'm also willing to bet that many of them wish that they weren't asked to speak about issues beyond football, and they just want to be football players. There's nothing wrong with either stance.

But as a fan I have that option as well. I don't think that Marshawn Lynch or Christian McCaffrey or Baker Mayfield has a more valid opinion about global warming or job training than you or I do. Some people may be really interested in their politics and opinions off the field, and that's fine. But I just want to watch them play football, and that's fine too. Once they're on the field, we're all happy.
Hope you don't find me cunty, good buddy.
[Reply]
eDave 08:27 PM 06-06-2020
Wow. Who knew Rain Man was such an asshole?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:27 PM 06-06-2020
Who decided he needs to see that during a game? You?
The players who are providing the entertainment that the fans are paying for?
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:29 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Wow. Who knew Rain Man was such an asshole?
No, no. He’s not an asshole at all. I’ve spent a good amount of time with him in real life. He’s every bit the witty gentleman he appears to be on here. He’s a lovely and thoughtful human being. I strongly disagree with his take here, but that doesn’t make him a bad person in my eyes at all.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:29 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Hope you don't find me ****y, good buddy.
I'd buy a ticket to see you and Dane and Twisted and vailpass debate. That's what I come here for.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:33 PM 06-06-2020
The players who are providing the entertainment that the fans are paying for?
The fans are paying for the entertainment. That doesn't make them royalty, but it does make them the consumer and thus the final arbiter.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:33 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
No one ever claimed that their message is more valid than any random black person’s off the street. But that random black person is never going to have the reach and focus that these athletes do and he’s never going to get in front of YOU with his message. So if they choose to express themselves like this, at least you can have some understanding of where they’re coming from.

Your choice to be a fan and your choice to listen to them.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 8
« First < 23456 78 >
Up