ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Nzoner's Game Room>How will the Goodell statement impact the NFL near-term?
jerryaldini 06:56 PM 06-05-2020
What's the near-term impact on the league of Goodell's surprisingly clear and forceful statement?

Do you believe certain owners (e.g. Jones, Snyder) will push back? Any indication owners were consulted?

Will Bienemy and other minorities get fast tracked now? Will players use their newfound leverage to demand this and other change? Any threat of an impasse with owners refusing to concede changes in hiring policy, allowing protest, the league funding initiatives?

Will unity among players increase or will there be a clear divide among them? Are the Chiefs with their player and executive leadership better positioned to manage this?

Any significant impact on the NFL’s global brand and revenues? Discuss.
[Reply]
Spott 11:14 AM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by permachief:
This would eliminate the problem all together:

Play the National Anthem while all the players are in he locker room after their final warm ups and just before they take the field for the start of the game.

Simple solution.
They could also do away with it entirely, but I kind of like hearing “Home of the Chiefs”.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 11:14 AM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by kcclone:
Ok, are you saying white Dems aren't using this for political leverage? That's what politicians do.
Trump is the one that's weaponized the specific act of NFL players kneeling as a political tool and intentionally created the language that shifted the dialogue of protest away from injustices towards black people to labeling it as an unpatriotic expression towards our country.

Thankfully, we're finally in a moment where that understanding is starting to seep into the consciousness of most Americans.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 11:40 AM 06-06-2020
There will likely be some turnover of the fan base, and from the NFL's perspective having done this now positions their brand for the future with younger fans, that whether they identify as liberal or conservative don't see protest as something worth giving up football.

I believe it will also reduce the racial tension in the league among players, coaches and owners, with players feeling more enfranchised. Also takes the edge off being criticized for the military centric stuff. Overall a big move forward. I expect some attempt at an olive branch toward Kaep soon.
[Reply]
Bearcat 11:53 AM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by ntexascardfan:
Trump is the one that's weaponized the specific act of NFL players kneeling as a political tool and intentionally created the language that shifted the dialogue of protest away from injustices towards black people to labeling it as an unpatriotic expression towards our country.

Thankfully, we're finally in a moment where that understanding is starting to seep into the consciousness of most Americans.
Originally Posted by kcclone:
Ok, are you saying white Dems aren't using this for political leverage? That's what politicians do.

Keep this shit in DC, please.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 12:00 PM 06-06-2020
It's not just a song guy's it is about 3 generations of my family fighting and working 10 hours day in the best conditions possible because we were all white. It is about the feeling it envokes when A-10's rumble overhead and the freedom that came from all those people whom went to vietnam and threw grenades into bunkers and killed a bunch of women and children then went to do herion and screw hookers. It is about that Toby Keith song I would listen to pre-kickoff when I was in high school right before I didn't play and I went home with no girlfriend. It is the feeling when I passed my trade school even though I didn't really pass the guys just thought I was a nice guy and I was white so they let me through. So excuse me if I get a bit out of shape about people kneeling. It is a bit more than a bit of clothe.
[Reply]
Redbled 12:16 PM 06-06-2020
The smart play would be to meet with players and find a mutually suitable way and time to protest. Moment of silence before or after the anthem for instance. It’s a stupid controversy and should not pit the flag against BLM at all. Anyone that wouldn’t like a solution similar is simply happy with division.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 12:48 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Redbled:
The smart play would be to meet with players and find a mutually suitable way and time to protest. Moment of silence before or after the anthem for instance. It’s a stupid controversy and should not pit the flag against BLM at all. Anyone that wouldn’t like a solution similar is simply happy with division.
Excellent compromise. And make it about honoring the fallen black people rather than police. Scroll some of the names. Then less likely to get any boos.
[Reply]
Redbled 12:53 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Excellent compromise. And make it about honoring the fallen black people rather than police. Scroll some of the names. Then less likely to get any boos.
It did strike me recently the sad irony of post 9/11 and how we celebrated our police and firemen heroes to now wanting to dishonor them. Imagine if the police were a part of this concept and honored as well for continuing to commit to treating people as cautiously as possible which I truly believe happens 99 percent of the time.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:53 PM 06-06-2020

Thats a terrible idea. You are just begging for people to discuss the details of each person and whether they are worthy of honor. Then if you leave off some of them, people will just complain that they are then blaming those victims and the NFL acknowledging they deserved what they got.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:56 PM 06-06-2020
Ya, that wont create any division :-)

What if it was a black cop murdered during the protest like in Oakland? Good guy black but bad guy cop?
[Reply]
vailpass 01:04 PM 06-06-2020
Just drop the anthem altogether. Leave the military out of it too. Nothing but the game. After a couple years, when everyone has settled down, they can reevaluate if they want but for now just line up and play with no non-game related accompaniment.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:11 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Ya, that wont create any division :-)

What if it was a black cop murdered during the protest like in Oakland? Good guy black but bad guy cop?
The hypothetical black cop internalized the racism of white people.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:15 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Just drop the anthem altogether. Leave the military out of it too. Nothing but the game. After a couple years, when everyone has settled down, they can reevaluate if they want but for now just line up and play with no non-game related accompaniment.
This is the best play, IMO, and it wouldn't surprise me if the owners vote to remove it altogether because it takes the focus off of the games.

People just want to watch football...
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 01:38 PM 06-06-2020
Have any of the other major sports leagues released a statement similar to Goodells yet?

MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS?

They have all had players protest at one time or another.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 03:41 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Thats a terrible idea. You are just begging for people to discuss the details of each person and whether they are worthy of honor. Then if you leave off some of them, people will just complain that they are then blaming those victims and the NFL acknowledging they deserved what they got.
Good point. I've never undwrstood why sporting events should be preceded by playing an anthem when other public events aren't. But good luck taking it away. If you though the howls of war on chrustmas are bad...
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up