ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>How will the Goodell statement impact the NFL near-term?
jerryaldini 06:56 PM 06-05-2020
What's the near-term impact on the league of Goodell's surprisingly clear and forceful statement?

Do you believe certain owners (e.g. Jones, Snyder) will push back? Any indication owners were consulted?

Will Bienemy and other minorities get fast tracked now? Will players use their newfound leverage to demand this and other change? Any threat of an impasse with owners refusing to concede changes in hiring policy, allowing protest, the league funding initiatives?

Will unity among players increase or will there be a clear divide among them? Are the Chiefs with their player and executive leadership better positioned to manage this?

Any significant impact on the NFL’s global brand and revenues? Discuss.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 07:53 PM 06-05-2020
The NFL won’t change much at all. Goodell is making a PR statement and hoping it blows over (which it will).

Still, I don’t expect they will be able to maintain their ridiculous ban on kneeling. It’s too visible.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:57 PM 06-05-2020
Goodell and the owners had no choice.

Either they endorse the player's position or say bye-bye to their new TV contracts.

Don't fool yourselves, though: This had nothing to do with the owners suddenly realizing that they themselves have been part of the systemic racism that the players have been protesting.

Look no further than their failed idea to give draft pick compensation to teams that would hire a black GM or head coach, which just happened LAST WEEK.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 07:57 PM 06-05-2020
Good on the NFL and good on the players.

The only people this will offend are the ones that the NFL shouldn’t want associated with their product anyway.

For sensible human beings who value positive changes in society, this should be a fantastic move for the league.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 08:02 PM 06-05-2020
After kickoff, no one will care
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:27 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Either they endorse the player's position or say bye-bye to their new TV contracts.
Yea, i figured it had to be something to do with money of course.

Still shocked to see it. I still dont agree with kneeling for the flag, but i agree with the cause.

I wonder if this was a united all 32 team decision to apologize?
[Reply]
jerryaldini 08:38 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yea, i figured it had to be something to do with money of course.

Still shocked to see it. I still dont agree with kneeling for the flag, but i agree with the cause.

I wonder if this was a united all 32 team decision to apologize?
Yeah I'm anxious to see how many owners were consulted and are on board. Just heard Warrick Dunn, part owner of the falcons, say he believes Goodell has come around and is sincere. I'd love to see this be then end of Jones.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:40 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Goodell and the owners had no choice.

Don't fool yourselves, though: This had nothing to do with the owners suddenly realizing that they themselves have been part of the systemic racism that the players have been protesting.

Look no further than their failed idea to give draft pick compensation to teams that would hire a black GM or head coach, which just happened LAST WEEK.

long term it'll negatively affect revenue flow, because if the SJW stuff is shoved in the fans ad nauseam people will stop going to games and watching the NFL in general.

It's a very delicate issue placate the product or the consumer concerning maximum profit.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:43 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
long term it'll negatively affect revenue flow, because if the SJW stuff is shoved in the fans ad nauseam people will stop going to games and watching the NFL in general.

It's a very delicate issue placate the product or the consumer concerning maximum profit.
I don't think it'll matter one bit.

Our nation is ready for normalcy and starved for sports.

Once Training Camps open and preseason games air, the ratings will be sky high.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 08:44 PM 06-05-2020
Well, I imagine the anthem controversy is over now. No one will breathlessly cover what’s allowed and even encouraged by the league.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 08:49 PM 06-05-2020
I hate to use this phrase, but it is what it is.

Whatever gets people to stop burning down buildings. I'm a 35 year old lower middle class white male living in Green Bay, WI. I lost my job in advertising when the Covid panic hit and was lucky enough to fall into another (albeit slightly lower paying) job. My wife wasn't so lucky as she lost her position as a music instructor. We have two young boys who are going stir crazy.

Forgive me if I don't get elbows deep into caring about all this. I've never discriminated, harmed or even so much as wished harm on anyone due to their race. I'm just trying to get by in my own life and just want to watch football as an escape. They can protest whatever they want. I won't pretend to care either way.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:50 PM 06-05-2020
Beside the fact that the country has moved on from 2016, there are a metric fuckton of exciting stories yet to be told in the 2020 season.

Tom Brady and the Bucs. Will the Chiefs repeat? Will Lamar Jackson take another leap?

How about Kyler Murray and the Cardinals, now with DeAndre Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald?

Tua and the 7-9 Dolphins. Do they make a playoff push? Is the Patriots Dynasty dead or does Belichick pull another rabbit out of his hat?

Some people might bitch, because they're fucking bitches, but gamblers, Fantasy Football players and fans will watch in record numbers this year.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:53 PM 06-05-2020
I hated the comment in DC that Minnesota will win a SB now. that is not right. I can always say KC did it first.

I do think ours was fair and honest.
[Reply]
Hoopsdoc 08:54 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief:
I hate to use this phrase, but it is what it is.

Whatever gets people to stop burning down buildings. I'm a 35 year old lower middle class white male living in Green Bay, WI. I lost my job in advertising when the Covid panic hit and was lucky enough to fall into another (albeit slightly lower paying) job. My wife wasn't so lucky as she lost her position as a music instructor. We have two young boys who are going stir crazy.

Forgive me if I don't get elbows deep into caring about all this. I've never discriminated, harmed or even so much as wished harm on anyone due to their race. I'm just trying to get by in my own life and just want to watch football as an escape. They can protest whatever they want. I won't pretend to care either way.
The only thing that ever bothered me about the protests was ascribing to racism to any negative reaction to it.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:58 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc:
The only thing that ever bothered me about the protests was ascribing to racism to any negative reaction to it.

That’s really one of the biggest problems in this country. If you disagree on something you are automatically a ism of some kind.

As for what will change? Nothing.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 8
1 2345 > Last »
Up