ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil go in-depth on their time in KC
Stargazer 09:28 AM 06-05-2020
Carl and Dick were special guests on the Elite Sports Podcast this week and it's interesting to hear Carl go in-depth on the playoff losses, hiring Marty, drafting DT laying the groundwork for the organization. Dick..well he just wanted better athletes on defense!

Listen: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000476762480
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:51 AM 06-05-2020
Vermeil was great. But we won a super bowl because veach and Reid did the hard things vermeil wouldn't to put this team over the top.

The Rams won a super bowl because they forced vermeil to bench Tony banks, and add Faulk and Martz. In kc vermeil placed no accountability on failed defensive coaches and Carl Peterson enabled that by forcing a tree guy to coach our defense instead of having a legit competition for DC.

A big reason the Chiefs won the super bowl is because Reid went against his loyalty script and cut Sutton, boldly replaced a good qb, and because veach was not afraid to cut and bench players on D who weren't getting the job done. It would be interesting to see how vermeil could have done with someone like veach, and if vermeil would have even let veach be veach.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:04 AM 06-05-2020
Peterson is a big part of the reason we never won a super bowl...
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:16 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Lamar Hunt is a HUGE part of why the Chiefs were dogshit from 1971-1988. He didn't give a shit.

Then, he hired Carl Peterson and allowed him to run the franchise, unchecked, for nearly 20 full years.

Fortunately, Clark Hunt isn't an absentee owner like his father.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 01:44 PM 06-05-2020
Damnit carl!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:33 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Namely, making Marty reinstall Grbac over Gannon in 1997.

And 1998.

Hell, Gannon should've been starting early in 1996.
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:24 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Namely, making Marty reinstall Grbac over Gannon in 1997.

And 1998.

Hell, Gannon should've been starting early in 1996.
Ummm, I think the fact that those were our only choices was a large part of the problem.
[Reply]
srvy 10:28 PM 06-05-2020
Hard for me to say bad on Carl. He and Marty restored respectability to a franchise in shambles. No matter his arrogance and other faults he never had full control to Bigfoot in the shadows. The man Lamar trusted over everyone was his money man Jack Bigfoot Steadman. Until Lamar's death, that man held the keys Lamar trusted him like family.

DV I loved the guy but crap when you a quoted I don't know the defense so I hire people that do. No no you didn't you hired incompetent buddies that you hung to long with costing a talented team early exits from playoffs.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:31 PM 06-05-2020
Imagine the Chiefs hiring Andy Reid in 1999 to replace Marty instead of Gunther
[Reply]
KurtCobain 10:59 PM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Imagine the Chiefs hiring Andy Reid in 1999 to replace Marty instead of Gunther
They probably would have ended up drafting Joey Harrington.
[Reply]
SAGA45 02:04 AM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Vermeil was great. But we won a super bowl because veach and Reid did the hard things vermeil wouldn't to put this team over the top.

The Rams won a super bowl because they forced vermeil to bench Tony banks, and add Faulk and Martz. In kc vermeil placed no accountability on failed defensive coaches and Carl Peterson enabled that by forcing a tree guy to coach our defense instead of having a legit competition for DC.

A big reason the Chiefs won the super bowl is because Reid went against his loyalty script and cut Sutton, boldly replaced a good qb, and because veach was not afraid to cut and bench players on D who weren't getting the job done. It would be interesting to see how vermeil could have done with someone like veach, and if vermeil would have even let veach be veach.
Good points. The SB win ultimately started with Clark Hunt, learning from each failed GM and coaching hire, re-evaluating his approach and making better decisions.

IIRC he flew out to AZ and intercepted Reid from the Cardinals, hired Dorsey and then created the unique structure where they both answered to him directly.

Then obviously the rather contraversial (at the time) firing of Dorsey in the wake of Mahomes being drafted and the subsequent hiring of Veach.

Reid and Veach rightfully get a ton of credit but had it not been for Clark making tough and timely decisions, the Chiefs would still be on a quest for their first SB win in +50 years.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:22 AM 06-06-2020
Carl's drafting during the Vermiel era was pretty shitty. It's hard to tell if he was just washed up and it was time for him to go or his draft decisions were influenced by Vermiels win now while he had 1 foot out the door ready to retire.
[Reply]
SAGA45 02:57 AM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Carl's drafting during the Vermiel era was pretty shitty. It's hard to tell if he was just washed up and it was time for him to go or his draft decisions were influenced by Vermiels win now while he had 1 foot out the door ready to retire.
I think he and his scouting dept. were just too antiquated in their ways and thinking towards player eval, especially late 90s/ early 00's.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:29 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
DV I loved the guy but crap when you a quoted I don't know the defense so I hire people that do. No no you didn't you hired incompetent buddies that you hung to long with costing a talented team early exits from playoffs.
Dick Vermeil was 44-37 with the Chiefs and only appeared in the playoffs once.

He had two winning seasons, two losing seasons and one season in which the Chiefs were 8-8.

He increased the age of the roster, was part of absolutely terrible drafts, chased defensive tackles and couldn't hire a defensive coaching staff to save his life, despite the fact that the Chiefs had the largest coaching staff and coaching staff payroll in the league.

His entire tenure was a Golden Parachute for him and his friends.

And worse yet, his insistence on Trent Green cost the Chiefs a future Hall of Fame QB in Drew Brees.

He was ass in KC. Complete and utter ass.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:40 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Dick Vermeil was 44-37 with the Chiefs and only appeared in the playoffs once.

He had two winning seasons, two losing seasons and one season in which the Chiefs were 8-8.

He increased the age of the roster, was part of absolutely terrible drafts, chased defensive tackles and couldn't hire a defensive coaching staff to save his life, despite the fact that the Chiefs had the largest coaching staff and coaching staff payroll in the league.

His entire tenure was a Golden Parachute for him and his friends.

And worse yet, his insistence on Trent Green cost the Chiefs a future Hall of Fame QB in Drew Brees.

He was ass in KC. Complete and utter ass.
Damn. Being a little harsh.. I thought DV was a good HC. The way he transformed the offense was great just couldn't get a good DC.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up