ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 38 of 95
« First < 283435363738 394041424888 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Patrick, Tyrann and friends have something to say
Dante84 07:18 PM 06-04-2020

#StrongerTogether pic.twitter.com/sfwF9Uvgaa

— Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) June 5, 2020

We love and support our players. We’re proud of you Patrick and Tyrann.@PatrickMahomes @Mathieu_Era https://t.co/JwL6p0vzP6

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) June 5, 2020

We, the NFL, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of Black People. We, the NFL, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the NFL, believe Black Lives Matter. #InspireChange pic.twitter.com/ENWQP8A0sv

— NFL (@NFL) June 5, 2020

[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:22 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
So then you would agree that nobody should feel sorry for brees. He is not being censored or bullied for his beliefs any more than a protesting black player who was told to keep his protest to himself or take off a harmless tshirt.
I think it would be hard to feel about someone with that much money in most situations, including this because ultimately it will go away. The difference of course between Brees and the situations you described (game time) is the circumstances in which they occurred.

And yes, I think it’s fair to say Brees was bullied. As was Kaep though in different ways and given his was during the season and used the game to express it, the circumstances are not exactly apples to apples. Brees states his opinion and was immediately protested in the streets, called a racist enabler, and received anger and demands from players who near as I can tell never thought for a second about having a conversation with him about his beliefs, or listening to his opinion, and instead only wanted to shut those beliefs down and force him to walk back what he said.

So I come from a psychological perspective as that’s my profession, so that’s really the only part that bothers me as it is such a great example of emotional reactions governing almost all responses to someone’s beliefs which seems to have been widely cheered. Too many people seem to have no idea how little thought they use and instead rely only on their emotions to determine behaviors. This is of course a huge societal problem, so not unique to this situation. And in general, I’m not sure when the expression “I don’t agree with what you say but defend your right to say it” lost its place in almost all disagreements of reasonable views but I’m guessing it coincides strongly with the rise of social media.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 10:25 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
I think it would be hard to feel about someone with that much money in most situations, including this because ultimately it will go away. The difference of course between Brees and the situations you described (game time) is the circumstances in which they occurred.

And yes, I think it’s fair to say Brees was bullied. As was Kaep though in different ways and given his was during the season and used the game to express it, the circumstances are not exactly apples to apples. Brees states his opinion and was immediately protested in the streets, called a racist enabler, and received anger and demands from players who near as I can tell never thought for a second about having a conversation with him about his beliefs, or listening to his opinion, and instead only wanted to shut those beliefs down and force him to walk back what he said.

So I come from a psychological perspective as that’s my profession, so that’s really the only part that bothers me as it is such a great example of emotional reactions governing almost all responses to someone’s beliefs which seems to have been widely cheered. Too many people seem to have no idea how little thought they use and instead rely only on their emotions to determine behaviors. This is of course a huge societal problem, so not unique to this situation. And in general, I’m not sure when the expression “I don’t agree with what you say but defend your right to say it” lost its place in almost all disagreements of reasonable views but I’m guessing it coincides strongly with the rise of social media.
They never thought for a second about doing that? Where are you getting this?
[Reply]
BossChief 10:33 PM 06-06-2020
Gonna be super interesting to see what happens opening night in KC.

It’s going to be a super televised event. A protest will be planned.

Watch Mahomes, Watson and Goodell take a knee together before the game, or something of that nature...
[Reply]
stevieray 10:40 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Just like 90% of the shit you post, I have no idea what this means.

Please, do us both a favor and stop responding to my posts.

Thank you.

it means you repeated yourself, dumbass.

Glad to help
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:59 PM 06-06-2020

The examples I was pointing to was the Rams walking into the stadium with their hands up. And NBA and WNBA players wearing "I can't breathe" t-shirts. They were shut down by the owners. Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble." None of these protests interfered with the anthem and they were also shut down. Those are absolutely apples to apples with Brees getting shut down for his opinions.
[Reply]
jettio 11:25 PM 06-06-2020

Why don't you believe Drew Brees when he says he spoke with teammates and other players?

Bullied? That word does not fit.

He said or wrote what he wanted to say and believes each time.
[Reply]
Mahomes_Is_God 11:35 PM 06-06-2020
Am I a traitor for thinking Russia has the best national anthem? It just sounds so damn good, I can't help it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:41 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by Mahomes_Is_God:
Am I a traitor for thinking Russia has the best national anthem? It just sounds so damn good, I can't help it.

[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 07:36 AM 06-07-2020
One less idol
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:43 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by crazycoffey:
During the anthem? I’ll stop being a fan.

I know this isn’t popular right now.... but I am stupefied at the idea I can be against police brutality, but somehow I have to accept kneeling during the anthem.

Two ideas that are only connected by either ignorance or agenda.

I hate Brees comments were muffled, they were his free speech. I hate I can barely say my free speech. Even here. With relative ambiguity.

I didn’t hate Kap’s free speech, I just disagree with how he delivered it. But it was his, and I respected his conviction, even if the pig socks were distasteful.

I don’t mind disagreeing with someone. But I disagree with being bullied to make politically correct comments to “feel safe”.
Here's what you're not understanding-and I'm meaning this in the most neutral, trying to be helpful way I possibly can in this day and age:

White folks don't live in the same America that black folks do. White people don't get choked out on the street for passing a counterfeit $20 bill. White folks don't get shot to death in their own home on mistaken identity like Breonna Taylor did. Or chased down and shot while jogging.

And these aren't a handful of isolated cases. This kind of thing has been going on forever.

If you don't live in a city, in a mixed race neighborhood, you might not have actually seen that with your own eyes, I get it. I grew up in small towns, and my concepts of race were much different. Now I live in East Hyde Park, Mannheim Park actually. Right off 39th Street between Troost and Paseo. I own a three story brick shirtwaist on a big double lot.

Now that I've lived in mid-town Kansas City for 25 years, I see things very differently. I see every day how I'm treated versus how they are, and especially from Police-but not JUST from the Police. At the corner store. From other neighbors who haven't been here as long but the awesome old houses drew them here. I know that my black neighbor next door, when he gets pulled over has a very different set of fears than I do. I'm just going to get a ticket. He might get shot. He's a retired educator, worked for the school system for 30 years and owns his own home. I'm the rock-and-roller with the history of questionable leisure-time activies. I've had the cops called to the house exactly once in 25 years, and they told us to keep it down at 4 am.

It's really not hyperbole; it's very real. And a lot of America that lives in the suburbs or small towns have no idea. To them, black folks in the city are all dope slinging gang bangers or on welfare. That's like saying all small town folks are racist rednecks. To the Police, a lot of them see the black people that way too.

When the athletes kneel or wear shirts or some other visible protest, it's SUPPOSED to make you uncomfortable. It's SUPPOSED to make you think about things. They're using their celebrity to draw attention to something very important. When you ignore that long enough, you're going to get riots. Even then, most of the protesters over the last few weeks have been peaceful, with handfulls of people that are taking advantage by looting and destroying. And in several already documented cases, some of those have been white people that have very different reasons for being there. Some to stoke the racial violence, some just to loot free shit. In my first hand experience, I've seen KCPD react with violence to people just marching and chanting. The news is full of Police overreactions, you don't have to look far.

There's clearly a Police culture that needs to change. A certain amount of brutality has just been accepted for far too long. It's more than just 'a few bad apples'. This isn't about politics. It's way, way more than that.

So when they kneel during the anthem, you can listen, and you can consider why...or you can wait and have race riots. it's an escalation, and it's inevitable.

And if it makes you uncomfortable...well, yeah, that's the point. You can react by saying, "I don't like this." or you can learn WHY they're doing so. Just because you've not had first hand experience doesn't mean it isn't real. We're all Americans, but some of us live in a different America.

I've been staying away from CP during all of this, and I probably will retreat again, but I just wanted to say that I'm so goddamned proud of Patrick and Tyrann. Not just for this public service announcement but just the quality of men they are. Drew Brees isn't being muffled, he's being criticized-and while that criticism is well founded nobody's going to run him out of the league. He reconsidered how his statement was being taken and clarified. He's been a fine man for a long time, and his image will recover.

That's a long post, and many of you won't read it, or flame away and disregard. That's fine. It's MY truth, as a longtime observer 'imbedded' if you will for decades in and around the black community in the city. It would be my hope that you would at least consider what I've had to say.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:56 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by MAG:
Still waiting for any sort of statistics to back up police brutality against black people.
Seriously. Those have been brought up and used every damn time we have had some of these riots...I mean protests. Just use google and find them so you can educate yourself.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 08:02 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by crazycoffey:
During the anthem? I’ll stop being a fan.

I know this isn’t popular right now.... but I am stupefied at the idea I can be against police brutality, but somehow I have to accept kneeling during the anthem.

Two ideas that are only connected by either ignorance or agenda.

I hate Brees comments were muffled, they were his free speech. I hate I can barely say my free speech. Even here. With relative ambiguity.

I didn’t hate Kap’s free speech, I just disagree with how he delivered it. But it was his, and I respected his conviction, even if the pig socks were distasteful.

I don’t mind disagreeing with someone. But I disagree with being bullied to make politically correct comments to “feel safe”.
I totally agree with your entire statement. I think your last sentence is comparable to how black people feel. They have been bullied for centuries just to feel safe.
[Reply]
SAGA45 08:07 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Here's what you're not understanding-and I'm meaning this in the most neutral, trying to be helpful way I possibly can in this day and age:

White folks don't live in the same America that black folks do. White people don't get choked out on the street for passing a counterfeit $20 bill. White folks don't get shot to death in their own home on mistaken identity like Breonna Taylor did. Or chased down and shot while jogging.

And these aren't a handful of isolated cases. This kind of thing has been going on forever.

If you don't live in a city, in a mixed race neighborhood, you might not have actually seen that with your own eyes, I get it. I grew up in small towns, and my concepts of race were much different. Now I live in East Hyde Park, Mannheim Park actually. Right off 39th Street between Troost and Paseo. I own a three story brick shirtwaist on a big double lot.

Now that I've lived in mid-town Kansas City for 25 years, I see things very differently. I see every day how I'm treated versus how they are, and especially from Police-but not JUST from the Police. At the corner store. From other neighbors who haven't been here as long but the awesome old houses drew them here. I know that my black neighbor next door, when he gets pulled over has a very different set of fears than I do. I'm just going to get a ticket. He might get shot. He's a retired educator, worked for the school system for 30 years and owns his own home. I'm the rock-and-roller with the history of questionable leisure-time activies. I've had the cops called to the house exactly once in 25 years, and they told us to keep it down at 4 am.

It's really not hyperbole; it's very real. And a lot of America that lives in the suburbs or small towns have no idea. To them, black folks in the city are all dope slinging gang bangers or on welfare. That's like saying all small town folks are racist rednecks. To the Police, a lot of them see the black people that way too.

When the athletes kneel or wear shirts or some other visible protest, it's SUPPOSED to make you uncomfortable. It's SUPPOSED to make you think about things. They're using their celebrity to draw attention to something very important. When you ignore that long enough, you're going to get riots. Even then, most of the protesters over the last few weeks have been peaceful, with handfulls of people that are taking advantage by looting and destroying. And in several already documented cases, some of those have been white people that have very different reasons for being there. Some to stoke the racial violence, some just to loot free shit. In my first hand experience, I've seen KCPD react with violence to people just marching and chanting. The news is full of Police overreactions, you don't have to look far.

There's clearly a Police culture that needs to change. A certain amount of brutality has just been accepted for far too long. It's more than just 'a few bad apples'. This isn't about politics. It's way, way more than that.

So when they kneel during the anthem, you can listen, and you can consider why...or you can wait and have race riots. it's an escalation, and it's inevitable.

And if it makes you uncomfortable...well, yeah, that's the point. You can react by saying, "I don't like this." or you can learn WHY they're doing so. Just because you've not had first hand experience doesn't mean it isn't real. We're all Americans, but some of us live in a different America.

I've been staying away from CP during all of this, and I probably will retreat again, but I just wanted to say that I'm so goddamned proud of Patrick and Tyrann. Not just for this public service announcement but just the quality of men they are. Drew Brees isn't being muffled, he's being criticized-and while that criticism is well founded nobody's going to run him out of the league. He reconsidered how his statement was being taken and clarified. He's been a fine man for a long time, and his image will recover.

That's a long post, and many of you won't read it, or flame away and disregard. That's fine. It's MY truth, as a longtime observer 'imbedded' if you will for decades in and around the black community in the city. It would be my hope that you would at least consider what I've had to say.
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:16 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
They never thought for a second about doing that? Where are you getting this?

So you are going with ignore Jenkins posts option?

“We're done asking, Drew. And people who share your sentiments, who express those and push them throughout the world, the airwaves, are the problem. And it's unfortunate because I considered you a friend. I looked up to you. You're somebody who I had a great deal of respect for. But sometimes you should shut the f--- up.”

There’s a reason Jenkins deleted one of his post. And it’s not because it represented a thoughtful response.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:20 AM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The examples I was pointing to was the Rams walking into the stadium with their hands up. And NBA and WNBA players wearing "I can't breathe" t-shirts. They were shut down by the owners. Lebron was told to "shut up and dribble." None of these protests interfered with the anthem and they were also shut down. Those are absolutely apples to apples with Brees getting shut down for his opinions.

I guess I missed where Brees said this during a postgame interview.
[Reply]
Page 38 of 95
« First < 283435363738 394041424888 > Last »
Up