ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>COLD summer meals !!
Mr. Wizard 07:08 PM 06-03-2020
It hit 100 today in western Kansas. We are always looking for meals that are easy on the body and we actually want to eat when it is hot as hell. We would appreciate your input!

So far our go to's are;

chicken or tuna salad wraps (traditional chicken or tuna salad fixed the night before and left in the fridge then rolled in a tortilla.)
PS - I hard boiled 4 eggs in the microwave yesterday- cover with water, add 1/2 tbsp salt, cook for 10 min, take out and run cool water over and let sit)

Taco salad 2 lb cooked hamburger then crunch up cheesy or taco flavored Doritos in a bowl. Add cold sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, salsa of choice. (all refrigerated except hamburger) then top with ranch dressing.

We can't wait to find your go to summer cool down meals!
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:15 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I don't think it's a real recipe, it's just something my dad taught me when I was a kid.

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup citrus juice
lemon zest from one lemon (optional but worth it)
2 Tbsp mirin (2 Tbsp sake or water + 2 tsp sugar)
1/3 cup katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes) Or less. To taste really. I'd start around a tablespoon and work up from there
1 piece kombu (dried kelp) (2" x 3" strip; 6 g) just placed in the sauce. Take it out if your going to keep the sauce for more than a day or it makes the sauce too 'kelpy'

My dad originally showed me how to make this without the lemon zest, or the kombu. A cheat for the kombu is to take a single 2x3 inch piece of nori and just allow it to steep in the sauce.

Another thing to tweak is the amount of mirin. Start at 1 tablespoon, mix everything up and taste. If you want a little more sweetness, add a teaspoon and taste again. Repeat until you hit the right balance (3 teapoons is 1 tablespoon).
I should've added that a tablespoon of OJ really works for some reason.
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:20 PM 06-04-2020
Awesome! Thanks! (Looks a little too much to make tho) :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:25 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Awesome! Thanks! (Looks a little too much to make tho) :-)
The quick and dirty version is just a 1:1 ratio of soy sauce and lemon juice (for two people I go with 5-6 tablespoons of each), a couple teaspoons of mirin, and a pinch or so of the bonito flakes or the nori, though they can be skipped entirely if necessary. A couple drops of fish sauce will also substitute.
[Reply]
ptlyon 03:33 PM 06-04-2020
Thank you! Now how about a pot sticker recipe? :-)
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:36 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Thank you! Now how about a pot sticker recipe? :-)
Hahaha, I see I'm going to have to start charging for recipes . . .

I don't actually make 'potstickers,' I make 'man du' which is the Korean version. Basically more veggies, beef and pork instead of just pork. My recipe is kind of involved. Let me see if I can find a more basic version . . .
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:59 PM 06-04-2020
Okay, this version is pretty basic:
https://www.koreanbapsang.com/mandu-...-dumplings_20/

I would go with a 1:1 ratio between beef and pork though. And because of the increased volume (1/2 lb. pork and 1/2 lb. beef), i'd go with about 1.5 zucchinis, 13 oz. cabbage, 5 oz. shitakes, 3/4 onion, 3 or 4 scallions (I like scallions), 2-3 tablespoons garlic (big fan of garlic), 3 teaspoons ginger, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and sesame oil, 2 eggs loosely whipped, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper both.

With the cabbage, slice as if you were making slaw. For the shitakes, don't make yourself crazy; slice thinly then cut results into thirds, that's good enough. For the ginger, cut and place 1/4 inch discs in ziploc, smash with beer bottle or something, then run a knife through smashed bits.

Of course, the easy way would be to take everything and pulse it in a food processor until you have uniformly 1/3 inch bits.

Prep as described in link.

Note: while making your dumplings, it's a good idea to place bowl with beef/pork/veggie mixture in a larger bowl filled partway with ice, to keep things fresh for the hour or so it takes to make all the dumplings. Also, the wrappers can dry out while making these things, so take a paper towel, wet it and squeeze out the excess water, then place over wrappers as you use them to keep them from drying out.

Cook as described in link.
[Reply]
cdcox 04:38 PM 06-04-2020
Guacamole. It is a meal.
[Reply]
ptlyon 05:02 PM 06-04-2020
Thanks Mega!
[Reply]
Sorce 06:58 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Here's one that I like a lot:

Here's a basic recipe:
https://www.hungryhuy.com/bun-thit-n...li-vegetables/

Grilled beef, or chicken or whatever can be used, with the same marinade. I'm trying to get rid of some extra pounds so i've been skipping the egg roll. Very tasty, sweet and savory (bonus: health-conscious) meal. Instead of noodles, I've been using cauliflower rice or brown rice. Add a little Sriracha to the dipping sauce or the marinade for extra flavor.
Love a good bun. Vietnam cafe on 39th Street is really good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:21 PM 06-04-2020
Wizard, I didn’t know you were out here in Gods country (because no one else wanted it LOL). Where are you at?

Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I don't really like lettuce on sandwiches. It's hard to bite off, and then it ends up pulling other sandwich materials out of the bread.
You’re getting the wrong lettuce. Crunchy iceberg is where it’s at, fool.
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 07:36 PM 06-04-2020
Here in Garden City we eat cold fried chicken too. Coleslaw on the side. Great noon meal.
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 07:40 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Wizard, I didn’t know you were out here in Gods country (because no one else wanted it LOL). Where are you at?

You’re getting the wrong lettuce. Crunchy iceberg is where it’s at, fool.
We farm just a few miles south of you. 3rd street and 7 mile road. Small world but I'd sure hate to have to mow it.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:31 AM 06-05-2020
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard:
We farm just a few miles south of you. 3rd street and 7 mile road. Small world but I'd sure hate to have to mow it.
Heh. I had no idea. I'll have to buy you a beer once the covid thing subsides.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:58 AM 06-05-2020

Lemon Butter Pasta with Artichokes and Capers

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/l...chokes-capers/
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:06 PM 06-05-2020
I've heard REVENGE is best served cold.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up