ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Media Center>Build or prebuilt PC for my needs
The Franchise 12:13 PM 06-01-2020
I couldn’t find the “Build Your Own PC” thread, so I figured I’d create my own.

Haven’t had a gaming PC in a long time. I mostly play PS4. I’m looking into getting a desktop PC that can handle gaming (both on a monitor and a TV), Photoshop and Illustrator and then as a media PC that I can play movies. I’m looking into burning all of my DVDs to a hard drive so that I can play them in my media room or downstairs on my main TV.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Should I go prebuilt or build my own? Keep in mind that I’ve never built my own.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:19 PM 06-01-2020
Maybe I’m fucking stupid (I know I am)

But most of the motherboards that I’ve seen only have one HDMI input. What do I need to run dual monitors?
[Reply]
jd1020 05:45 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Maybe I’m ****ing stupid (I know I am)

But most of the motherboards that I’ve seen only have one HDMI input. What do I need to run dual monitors?
You'll be plugging your monitors into the video card.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:29 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
You'll be plugging your monitors into the video card.
Graphics card
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:30 PM 06-01-2020
Maybe I’m fucking stupid (I know I am)

If you're wanting to run two monitors from the onboard graphics card, buy one HDMI cable that's HDMI>HDMI and a second cable which would be DVI>HDMI.
[Reply]
Otter 06:46 PM 06-01-2020
Great site for research: https://www.tomshardware.com/

If you check out forums there's a sub dedicated to custom builds.
[Reply]
jd1020 06:46 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If you're wanting to run two monitors from the onboard graphics card, buy one HDMI cable that's HDMI>HDMI and a second cable which would be DVI>HDMI.
I'm going to assume that with an $800-$1300 budget he's going to take the advice of others and buy AMD, in which case there is no onboard graphics unless you buy an APU.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:57 PM 06-01-2020
I'm going to assume that with an $800-$1300 budget he's going to take the advice of others and buy AMD, in which case there is no onboard graphics unless you buy an APU.
In more than 22 years of building PC's for my recording studio, I've never built an AMD, nor has any manufacturer recommended that I purchase an AMD (as a matter of fact, it's been blatantly stated to avoid them at all costs), so I'll defer to you.

That said, I'll never purchase or build an AMD based computer. I'm sure they're fine for other applications but not for pro audio.

Intel all the way.
[Reply]
jd1020 07:01 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
In more than 22 years of building PC's for my recording studio, I've never built an AMD, nor has any manufacturer recommended that I purchase an AMD (as a matter of fact, it's been blatantly stated to avoid them at all costs), so I'll defer to you.

That said, I'll never purchase or build an AMD based computer. I'm sure they're fine for other applications but not for pro audio.
AMD has been shit until recently, so it's no surprise that people have been telling you over 22 years to avoid them.

Ryzen is a different animal and the support of Ryzen from AMD is much better than the support from Intel. Ryzen has used the same socket for 4 years now. Intel will refresh the same shit from 3 years ago and sell it as new by adding 1 extra pin to the CPU so you have to buy a new motherboard too.
[Reply]
kcxiv 07:46 PM 06-01-2020
Just know that if I do get a PC....I will also still be getting the PS5. This isn’t going to eliminate my console gaming. I just want to be able to play certain games on PC as well. Now with that in mind....I’m not looking to get an over the top, amazing gaming PC that will play everything.
a middle of the pack PC will play everything. It just wont play everything in 1440 or 4k thats it.

I just did a whole new AMD set up this time. I went with the Ryzen 7 3800x and a amd Radeon 5700XT. Runs everything i throw at it in 1080 easy peasy.
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:06 PM 06-01-2020
I’m looking at getting an AMD Ryzen 3700x with a EVGA GeForce® RTX 2070.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:14 PM 06-01-2020
AMD has been shit until recently, so it's no surprise that people have been telling you over 22 years to avoid them.
Yeah, it was the actual manufacturers telling us to avoid them but I sure wish they worked for pro audio because they're less expensive than a full on Intel box.

:-)
[Reply]
Pants 08:33 PM 06-01-2020
I’m looking at getting an AMD Ryzen 3700x with a EVGA GeForce® RTX 2070.
Push that to 2070 Super if you can. It's just a much better value. That will be a monster of a PC.

You will not need 32 GB of RAM for anything. 16 GB will not bottleneck. Like ever.

HDMI and DVI are no longer a thing, really. Everything is done through DisplayPort. Your 2070 or 2070 Super will have 2 DisplayPorts for your monitors and 2 HDMI ports for your TVs by default.

If you end up deciding you can spend more and if you are going to go with a 2070 or above, you will probably want to get a 1440p monitor. If you get the Super, I would suggest you get a GSync monitor with at least a 120Hz refresh rate or higher for the buttery smoothness.
[Reply]
Pants 08:34 PM 06-01-2020

Ryzen is a different animal and the support of Ryzen from AMD is much better than the support from Intel. Ryzen has used the same socket for 4 years now. Intel will refresh the same shit from 3 years ago and sell it as new by adding 1 extra pin to the CPU so you have to buy a new motherboard too.
Has it really been 22 years since the great Athlon generation? Jesus.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:46 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Push that to 2070 Super if you can.It's just a much better value. That will be a monster of a PC.

You will not need 32 GB of RAM for anything. 16 GB will not bottleneck. Like ever.

HDMI and DVI are no longer a thing, really. Everything is done through DisplayPort. Your 2070 or 2070 Super will have 2 DisplayPorts for your monitors and 2 HDMI ports for your TVs by default.

If you end up deciding you can spend more and if you are going to go with a 2070 or above, you will probably want to get a 1440p monitor. If you get the Super, I would suggest you get a GSync monitor with at least a 120Hz refresh rate or higher for the buttery smoothness.
Absolutely this. Small cost difference, notable performance difference.

And lots of Freesync monitors are now G-Sync compatible so you can get variable refresh rate and no screen tear without spending bigger $ on full G-Sync. I’m monitor shopping right now with my son, all but decided on this one which appears to offer a good mix of options at a decent price:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E1682401...qHhDdxo.0.7tIA
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:06 PM 06-01-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Push that to 2070 Super if you can. It's just a much better value. That will be a monster of a PC.

It actually is the Super. It just got cut off.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 10
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up