ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Nzoner's Game Room>How will the Goodell statement impact the NFL near-term?
jerryaldini 06:56 PM 06-05-2020
What's the near-term impact on the league of Goodell's surprisingly clear and forceful statement?

Do you believe certain owners (e.g. Jones, Snyder) will push back? Any indication owners were consulted?

Will Bienemy and other minorities get fast tracked now? Will players use their newfound leverage to demand this and other change? Any threat of an impasse with owners refusing to concede changes in hiring policy, allowing protest, the league funding initiatives?

Will unity among players increase or will there be a clear divide among them? Are the Chiefs with their player and executive leadership better positioned to manage this?

Any significant impact on the NFL’s global brand and revenues? Discuss.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 09:15 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I fear that at some point it may be my undoing. I'll be having a bad day when some sixteen year old kid asks me that, and I'll suddenly be flying over the counter, fists flying in a blind rage. And then I'll get convicted of felony assault on a minor and I won't be able to walk by the neighborhood school any more.
It hate it when they're trying to up sell me a soda by telling me that it's only $0.50 or however much more if I make it a combo meal. Then I say no and they respond by making it sound like I'm an idiot for passing up such a great deal.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 09:17 PM 06-06-2020
Now that it came out that most owners did not know or approve of the message put out by Goodell before put it out there. He only notified a few owners of his intent.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:20 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Would you agree that it actually isn't all that selfish to hope to be entertained by your entertainment.

Or at least if it is selfish, it's a selfish in a universally acceptable manner where everyone is a little selfish in their leisure pursuits?
I agree with the latter. We're all like that on some level.

But you derive enjoyment from what these athletes do on the field. They're trying to tell you something about their lives and experiences. To bury your head in the sand because you just want to be entertained and to express that as "just do your job and don't burden me with what you actually think" seems a bit callous and selfish.

They have every right to do that and you have every right to decide not to watch them.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:23 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
It hate it when they're trying to up sell me a soda by telling me that it's only $0.50 or however much more if I make it a combo meal. Then I say no and they respond by making it sound like I'm an idiot for passing up such a great deal.
That's even worse. That's a blatant disregard for my health.

However, I must admit one exception to my rule. If I don't get a drink and then they ask me if I want a drink, I feel like they're kind of looking out for me. They don't want me to get in the car on my road trip and pull out my burger and then say, "Aw, man, I forgot to order a drink."

But asking me to upsize is completely unacceptable.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 09:23 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
But you could've saved 5% today on your purchase if you had signed up for the Banana Republic credit card, you selfish fucking moron.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:27 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
But you could've saved 5% today on your purchase if you had signed up for the Banana Republic credit card, you selfish ****ing moron.
Those cards...man. At some point when I retire I'm going to accept every single offer for a year, and then I'm going to go into a place with a brief case. When they ask me if I'm a member, I'll open the briefcase to reveal a massive filing system of alphabetically ordered discount cards, and I'll find the right one after a minute or two of rifling through them. It'll be fun to watch the reactions.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 09:33 PM 06-06-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Now that it came out that most owners did not know or approve of the message put out by Goodell before put it out there. He only notified a few owners of his intent.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Interesting. " An unnamed source told Maske that “most owners” are expected to support Goodell’s statement. However, some owners expect a backlash from fans whose views on protests mesh with the President’s. Maske also reports that some wonder about Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, given his past position that players always should stand for the anthem."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...goodell-video/
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:34 PM 06-06-2020
An NFL films producer made the Mahomes video.

From the Athletic:
Thomas convened a group of players from across the NFL, including Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu, Giants running back Saquon Barkley, Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, to call out the league in a powerful video released Thursday night on each of the players’ social media platforms. They demanded the league recognize the Black Lives Matter movement, admit of wrongdoing in suppressing voices of peaceful protest and condemn racism and systemic oppression. Their exact phrasing was repeated a day later by Goodell.

Goodell’s video was also a result of internal pressure applied by league content creators — the people behind the league’s social media channels, like Twitter, Instagram and YouTube — who held multiple virtual town hall-style meetings since the release of the NFL’s initial statement last week. Sources with knowledge of those meetings, one of which was attended by Goodell, described them as “emotional,” as employees conveyed their disappointment in the league’s choice of words.

Some of those creators, including NFL video producer Bryndon Minter, who has worked for the league since 2017, decided more action was needed. Minter independently worked directly with Thomas and the group of players to produce Thursday’s video.

Minter understood that he could lose his job for helping Thomas with the video.

“I was at peace the whole time,” he told The Athletic. “I think if I wasn’t at peace to lose my job, I wouldn’t have wanted to go out on a limb like that…I was at peace, I still am at peace.”

By Friday morning, one league source said, Goodell had informed senior staff that he planned to respond.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 09:35 PM 06-06-2020
Article says he consulted the few owners that really run the show. Somebody notify Black ops.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 8
« First < 45678
Up