ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3028 of 3903
« First < 2028252829282978301830243025302630273028 30293030303130323038307831283528 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 10:25 AM 10-15-2020
Stanford Professor Warns COVID Shelter-in-Place Orders Are ‘Killing People'
Infectious disease experts and epidemiologists from universities like Stanford, Yale, Harvard and Oxford say current shelter-in-place policies are not effectively protecting vulnerable people from COVID-19, while devastating public health in ways that will lead to irreparable harm for years to come.

Vulnerable people, he believes, should continue to shelter in place, and anyone living or working in a high risk setting should receive weekly COVID-19 testing and careful contact tracing. He recommends similar measures for meat packing plants, prisons and especially nursing homes, where Centers for Disease Control data shows about one-third of all deaths have occurred.

At the same time, Ioannidis is convinced that shelter in place orders are doing great harm to the rest of society.

“We know that 95% of the population has practically minimal risk,” he said, adding “It's unlikely that in the current situation we are really saving lives. I think that probably we're killing people by following some of these measures for forever.”

According to the American College of Emergency Physicians, 29% of Americans are avoiding or delaying medical care due to fear of catching the coronavirus.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investiga...eople/2376796/
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:28 AM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Infectious disease experts and epidemiologists from universities like Stanford, Yale, Harvard and Oxford say current shelter-in-place policies are not effectively protecting vulnerable people from COVID-19, while devastating public health in ways that will lead to irreparable harm for years to come.

Vulnerable people, he believes, should continue to shelter in place, and anyone living or working in a high risk setting should receive weekly COVID-19 testing and careful contact tracing. He recommends similar measures for meat packing plants, prisons and especially nursing homes, where Centers for Disease Control data shows about one-third of all deaths have occurred.

At the same time, Ioannidis is convinced that shelter in place orders are doing great harm to the rest of society.

“We know that 95% of the population has practically minimal risk,” he said, adding “It's unlikely that in the current situation we are really saving lives. I think that probably we're killing people by following some of these measures for forever.”

According to the American College of Emergency Physicians, 29% of Americans are avoiding or delaying medical care due to fear of catching the coronavirus.

This is not what SCIENCE says.
[Reply]
jdubya 11:28 AM 10-15-2020
My county just went down one tier because our cases are declining and Covid patients in hospitals are almost in the teens in my county after a high of 120 in July. My gym is open and i got an indoor haircut yesterday. Good stuff
[Reply]
TLO 12:40 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
My county just went down one tier because our cases are declining and Covid patients in hospitals are almost in the teens in my county after a high of 120 in July. My gym is open and i got an indoor haircut yesterday. Good stuff
Where are you located if I may ask?
[Reply]
petegz28 12:55 PM 10-15-2020
More youth are dying of suicide, overdose than COVID-19 during pandemic: CDC director
https://www.christianpost.com/news/m...nn-okYkIAc4QN4
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:02 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
More youth are dying of suicide, overdose than COVID-19 during pandemic: CDC director
No they aren't.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:28 PM 10-15-2020

His reasoning is flawed. He says that people in risk groups should continue to shelter in place but for the rest of the people they aren't seeking medical help when sick with other problems because of the shelter in place order and therefore are dying. What a stupid argument.
[Reply]
petegz28 10-15-2020, 01:46 PM
This message has been deleted by petegz28. Reason: no point
Pasta Little Brioni 02:21 PM 10-15-2020
But what about the cases???
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:27 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
His reasoning is flawed. He says that people in risk groups should continue to shelter in place but for the rest of the people they aren't seeking medical help when sick with other problems because of the shelter in place order and therefore are dying. What a stupid argument.
Ioannidis is one of the world's leading scientists whose latest sero study was published by the World Health Organization.

I'm going to take a wild guess and think he knows more about the data than you do.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:34 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by :
WHO: 10% of world's people may have been infected with virus
The head of emergencies at the World Health Organization says its “best estimates” indicate that roughly 1 in 10 people worldwide may have been infected by the coronavirus

GENEVA -- The head of emergencies at the World Health Organization said Monday the agency's “best estimates” indicate roughly 1 in 10 people worldwide may have been infected by the coronavirus — more than 20 times the number of confirmed cases — and warned of a difficult period ahead.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...virus-73427817
Has this been covered in this thread? I just saw this today even thought its 10 days old. Have they back tracked on it or is this actually what they think?
[Reply]
petegz28 02:38 PM 10-15-2020
Ioannidis is one of the world's leading scientists whose latest sero study was published by the World Health Organization.

I'm going to take a wild guess and think he knows more about the data than you do.
I wasn't even going to argue with him about it. One person has said these kids just need to "suck it up". Another says these are not Covid-related deaths. Now we have one that just says this is stupid.
[Reply]
sedated 02:42 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Has this been covered in this thread? I just saw this today even thought its 10 days old. Have they back tracked on it or is this actually what they think?
I was under the impression no one believed anything the WHO says anymore after they helped China cover up the outbreak.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:43 PM 10-15-2020
I wasn't even going to argue with him about it. One person has said these kids just need to "suck it up". Another says these are not Covid-related deaths. Now we have one that just says this is stupid.
Ioannidis latest Infection Fatality Rate is .05 for everyone under 70 years old.

That should have woken everyone that was asleep but...

:-)
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:44 PM 10-15-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
That's what the WHO believes. Which gives us a IFR for everyone of .13..

Almost ten times lower than what the media has been pushing since March.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:01 PM 10-15-2020
Ioannidis latest Infection Fatality Rate is .05 for everyone under 70 years old.

That should have woken everyone that was asleep but...

:-)
I think many have said that one way or the other as the numbers continue to bare that out.

For example: Here in JoCo ages 70+ are only 9% of cases but 86% of all deaths.

The other 91% of cases are 14% of deaths and that includes 0 deaths in ages 0-19.

The sad reality of this is if you are 70 or over this is a severe risk. If you are under 70 not so much particularly the younger you are.
[Reply]
Page 3028 of 3903
« First < 2028252829282978301830243025302630273028 30293030303130323038307831283528 > Last »
Up