ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 18
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Florio implies that the 49ers should cheap shot Mahomes
Mecca 02:37 PM 01-22-2020

At 7:40, he says 15 yards is worth it and basically says they should take cheap shots if he runs to send a message and knock him out of the game...wow wtf?
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:39 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
At one point, they asked Ryan Clark what he would do if Pat tried to run on his Steelers D for that TD, back in the day. And Ryan without hesitation said, "we'd light him up. There's a reason QBs ran straight for the sidelines when you look at film of QBs running back then. If you tried to run like these guys do now, a LB or a S would put their mark on you." (paraphrased)
Back then...10 years ago? Please. Maybe if Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater made that statement, it would hold water. Randall Cunningham was running defenses ragged when this guy was still figuring out how to jerk off.
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:44 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
Back then...10 years ago? Please. Maybe if Ronnie Lott or Steve Atwater made that statement, it would hold water. Randall Cunningham was running defenses ragged when this guy was still figuring out how to jerk off.
I think in part he was referencing the '80s and '90s.

But my point is, that we've seen a sea change in how defenders are hesitant to hit a QB, even when they are obviously runners.

We've all commented during a GDT about how a LB or a S didn't go after the QB on a run, probably for fear of getting a flag and a possible fine. This has opened up the middle of the field to any QB that decides to take off. But in the past, if a QB started running around as much as many of them do today, he'd become a target. As one of these guys said, "I'd ear-hole him and put him to sleep."

It's a different game now, period.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 12:47 PM 01-23-2020
If they cheap shot patrick i wouldn't mind frank clark doing a decon jones head slap on Jimmy g while suggs break him the next play.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 12:49 PM 01-23-2020
So I watched some comments made by Ryan Clark and Marcus Spears, etc., and now I think I get where this stuff is coming from.

At one point, they asked Ryan Clark what he would do if Pat tried to run on his Steelers D for that TD, back in the day. And Ryan without hesitation said, "we'd light him up. There's a reason QBs ran straight for the sidelines when you look at film of QBs running back then. If you tried to run like these guys do now, a LB or a S would put their mark on you." (paraphrased)

And then I remembered just what it was like before they installed all these "protect the QB" rules. And he's right; QBs never ran like what we're seeing in the last couple years, because the risk was much, much higher back then. The defense would make it a point to tattoo a QB for running for big yards on them, because it made them look bad.
I have no problem with this, it would be similar to what Sorenson did to Tannehill... However, if Mahomes is sliding and/or heading out of bounds and they hit him, it's a cheap shot and this Florio was advocating it...
[Reply]
ARROW2 12:49 PM 01-23-2020

But my point is, that we've seen a sea change in how defenders are hesitant to hit a QB, even when they are obviously runners.

We've all commented during a GDT about how a LB or a S didn't go after the QB on a run, probably for fear of getting a flag and a possible fine. This has opened up the middle of the field to any QB that decides to take off. But in the past, if a QB started running around as much as many of them do today, he'd become a target. As one of these guys said, "I'd ear-hole him and put him to sleep."

I heard none of this vitriol when Lamar was running like a muthafucka…..Mahomes runs for 50 yards and a game clinching TD and mofos lose their mind.....The hate is real
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 12:49 PM 01-23-2020

I think the biggest difference today is the athletic ability of the average QB. Guys in the past with the ability (Tarkenton, Elway, Cunningham, etc.) didn't hesitate to run downfield.
[Reply]
ARROW2 12:55 PM 01-23-2020
This bitch was supposed to stop covering the NFL after Reek came back anyway....
[Reply]
Megatron96 12:57 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I think the biggest difference today is the athletic ability of the average QB. Guys in the past with the ability (Tarkenton, Elway, Cunningham, etc.) didn't hesitate to run downfield.
But if the defense had a shot at those guys what happened? They got tattooed.

Elway getting helicoptered comes to mind.

And back then, if you weren't one of those guys, you didn't run, unless it was straight to the sidelines.

This season we've seen several not-so-athletic QBs take off and defenders hesitate to crush them. Those are just the facts.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:03 PM 01-23-2020
So I watched some comments made by Ryan Clark and Marcus Spears, etc., and now I think I get where this stuff is coming from.

And then I remembered just what it was like before they installed all these "protect the QB" rules. And he's right; QBs never ran like what we're seeing in the last couple years, because the risk was much, much higher back then. The defense would make it a point to tattoo a QB for running for big yards on them, because it made them look bad.

Ryan Clark played at 5'11 205. Patrick is 6'3 230 on a slim day.

Pat would run straight over his pussy ass trying to "light him up"
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:06 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Ryan Clark played at 5'11 205. Patrick is 6'3 230 on a slim day.

Pat would run straight over his pussy ass trying to "light him up"
Stop looking at it from just Ryan Clark/Pat Mahomes POV. I'm talking about the change in how defenders have to play the game.

And what if we're talking about Troy instead of Clark? That guy hit like a truck. And I'm certain that if Troy were in his prime now, or if you put Pat in the Way-back machine and dropped in a game where Troy was patrolling the middle, you wouldn't want Pat getting hit by that guy.
[Reply]
Kiimo 01:09 PM 01-23-2020
Yes people tackle QBs differently than they used to. I don't think you're illuminating anyone with that take.

My point is, shut up Ryan Clark you old has-been. Retired athletes love to say how good they'd have been against current players.

Mahomes would destroy any defense regardless of year. Period.
[Reply]
Megatron96 01:21 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Yes people tackle QBs differently than they used to. I don't think you're illuminating anyone with that take.

My point is, shut up Ryan Clark you old has-been. Retired athletes love to say how good they'd have been against current players.

Mahomes would destroy any defense regardless of year. Period.
I should try to find one of the clips I saw and post that; maybe you guys would understand my point better. But I'm out of time here, at least for now.

But Ryan wasn't talking about himself; he was talking more about in his time how safeties would react and behave when a QB would take off. And he wasn't talking bout it as a winning strategy; like we're going to put him out of the game.

He was talking about the attitude defenders had across the league about QBs that ran alot. That if ran on them and made them look bad, they were going to take their shots. Whereas today, like that TEN safety on Pat's TD run, he hesitated, and then made some half-assed effort to wrap Pat up. Troy would've put a lick on him. Ronnie Lott would've tried to take his head off.
[Reply]
Otter 01:25 PM 01-23-2020
Florio is a hack. Patrick is going to make him cry himself to sleep.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 01:38 PM 01-23-2020
Stop looking at it from just Ryan Clark/Pat Mahomes POV. I'm talking about the change in how defenders have to play the game.

And what if we're talking about Troy instead of Clark? That guy hit like a truck. And I'm certain that if Troy were in his prime now, or if you put Pat in the Way-back machine and dropped in a game where Troy was patrolling the middle, you wouldn't want Pat getting hit by that guy.
I mentioned this in another thread. If the NFL is instituting much stricter rules about pulling players for head injury (mostly offense) then appropriate counter rules should be in place to punish defensive players who do things to increase chances of knocking a player out. Those slide rules and targeting calls are intended for that. Yes, it's about player safety, but it's also to avoid another bountygate or a team trying to Tonya harding their way to a win
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 01:48 PM 01-23-2020
Originally Posted by Otter:
Florio is a hack. Patrick is going to make him cry himself to sleep.
Tyreek already does, he should be scared.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 18
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up