ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2020 of 3903
« First < 1020152019201970201020162017201820192020 202120222023202420302070212025203020 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 08:31 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:

ANOTHER SOURCE
It's fucking May! Just wow.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:33 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I don't know. fellas, but it seems like paranoia is starting to rule. Talking about cancelling school not for in CA but everywhere and it is only May? LA county locking down until August?

I don't know what the **** is going on but it sure seems like the goal of flattening the curve has been achieved and the goal posts are clearly being moved in some places.

It's one thing to be prudent. It's another to be completely paranoid to the point of self-destruction. I feel like right now some would have us be the frog that hides from the snake by jumping into the the frying pan. We think we are safe when really we are being slowly roasted to death.
Even NYC is planning to begin lifting their stay at home measures starting in June.

LA County for some reason wants to prolong their lockdown.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:34 PM 05-12-2020
The Mayor of LA has moved the goal posts in no uncertain terms. When things went from flattening the curve to now as he says "until we have a vaccine....." Yeah, goal posts moved.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:34 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Even NYC is planning to begin lifting their stay at home measures starting in June.

LA County for some reason wants to prolong their lockdown.
I didn't hear that about NYC but I did hear that upstate NY was starting to lift.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 08:34 PM 05-12-2020
Yes but that's due in large part from Sat-Mon but even those days were lower than they typically have been.

I think it's time to start using a little common sense. If the hospitals in an area start getting a run then you have a problem and need to address it. If they aren't then I think you need to start moving forward though cautiously.
The potential problem we face with re-opening is a spike occurring and we're back to square one.

We're going to have to make sacrifices until there's a vaccine (fingers crossed) or this virus withers away on its own(seems unlikely).
[Reply]
petegz28 08:36 PM 05-12-2020
I don't know if any of you have ever seen the movie Johnny Mnemonic but there was a particular scene when Reeves was flying back to New Jersey and the sub-text says "Free City of Newark".

Mother fuckers in LA gonna be talking about "I'm heading for the free city of Phoenix" and shit.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:38 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by Rams Fan:
The potential problem we face with re-opening is a spike occurring and we're back to square one.

We're going to have to make sacrifices until there's a vaccine (fingers crossed) or this virus withers away on its own(seems unlikely).
That's the new Boogie Man and I don't necessarily disagree but herd immunity is also something we have to be looking at as well as other economic issues.

We might see a spike and probably will in some areas. But we have to go back to the original question which is, do we have the resources to address it or do we need to shut things down so our hospitals don't get plowed?

And we may never have a vaccine so this "we have to hide until we find the cure" isn't practical.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:39 PM 05-12-2020

There will never be another square one. Too many people have already been infected for that.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:39 PM 05-12-2020

The key part of “new normal” is NORMAL... forcing people to stay in their homes for nearly six months is not even close to attempting some degree of normalcy.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 08:46 PM 05-12-2020
That's the new Boogie Man and I don't necessarily disagree but herd immunity is also something we have to be looking at as well as other economic issues.
I don't disagree, but we risk the potential of excessive demand for our hospitals/healthcare supplies, which is what the idea of flattening the curve is about avoiding.

Originally Posted by :
We might see a spike and probably will in some areas. But we have to go back to the original question which is, do we have the resources to address it or do we need to shut things down so our hospitals don't get plowed?
Without a doubt I think as a country we're better prepared for a wave of COVID-19 now than we were in February. However, in the event we aren't ready for a larger wave, we'll basically be where we are now.

Originally Posted by :
And we may never have a vaccine so this "we have to hide until we find the cure" isn't practical.
You're not wrong, but there are things we can do in the mean time to mitigate how many people are infected as we learn more about COVID-19. In the event that there isn't a vaccine, and the virus is potentially seasonal, we'll have to adapt it as a part of common life. Until more is learned or there's a vaccine, I think it would be unwise to have the number of infections sky rocket.

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
The key part of “new normal” is NORMAL... forcing people to stay in their homes for nearly six months is not even close to attempting some degree of normalcy.
I agree, there has to be a balance.

Personally, I have no clue how the fuck we're going to recover fiscally in the near to intermediate future. Even with stores/restaurants starting to re-open, they're nowhere near close to full capacity. Unemployment isn't just going to magically go down to where it was before even if people are brought to retail, hospitality, manufacturing, etc. That takes time.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:48 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Gorgeous!

And a little advice, don't post any family members pics on here. It always seems to end up bad.
Already fapped.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:49 PM 05-12-2020
And I know this borders on political but I would say that these Governors and Mayors and City Councils and such that are ordering these lock downs have their pay checks suspended until the people that pay them are allowed to return to work.

If you're going to intentionally put people out of work then you need to join with them them. Take your ass to the unemployment line like the others have to do. It's really easy to tell someone else to sit at home without a job while you get your full pay check.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:50 PM 05-12-2020
And I know this borders on political but I would say that these Governors and Mayors and City Councils and such that are ordering these lock downs have their pay checks suspended until the people that pay them are allowed to return to work.

If you're going to intentionally put people out of work then you need to join with them them. Take your ass to the unemployment line like the others have to do. It's really easy to tell someone else to sit at home without a job while you get your full pay check.
Oh hell, I'm agreeing with Pete.

THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US
[Reply]
TLO 08:52 PM 05-12-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:

ANOTHER SOURCE
Insanity
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 09:01 PM 05-12-2020

Bingo.
[Reply]
Page 2020 of 3903
« First < 1020152019201970201020162017201820192020 202120222023202420302070212025203020 > Last »
Up