ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2130 of 3903
« First < 1130163020302080212021262127212821292130 213121322133213421402180223026303130 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 09:19 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
What in the holy **** did I say that is political there?
Dude that's your standard answer. Now I am just flipping you shit but you post political shit them act like you have no idea how it is political. :-)
[Reply]
Mecca 09:20 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
You're not following the same lead as they are.
That was pretty much my thought cause I didn't see that as political.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:22 AM 05-21-2020
I know this vid is month old but he makes lot of great points. Very logical and will make you think.

https://youtu.be/5_CovnEdZEE
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:23 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
He should have been banned from this thread long ago, but because he hasn’t been, it’s now a political thread. Post whatever politics you want as that what has been established.
this isnt a political thread.

dont post politics in it

and no pointing out that a state is double dipping their numbers isnt political...its pointing out a fact, not arguing party lines.

i dont see how thats hard to understand
[Reply]
staylor26 09:24 AM 05-21-2020
I don’t know about political, but it’s obvious people like Mecca want states like Georgia and Florida to fail so they could be right.

And don’t even try to pretend that’s not the case.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:27 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I don’t know about political, but it’s obvious people like Mecca want states like Georgia and Florida to fail so they could be right.

How is pointing out something they are doing, have anything to do with being right?

Isn't a state cooking it's numbers something that everyone should know cause it's dishonest at best.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:34 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:

dont post politics in it

and no pointing out that a state is double dipping their numbers isnt political...its pointing out a fact, not arguing party lines.

To add to honestly just how fucking stupid people really are these days.

The fact that handling a deadly pandemic has been turned into a culture war and partisan issue in the States on a level that no other major country has any parallel to is a searing indictment of the way news is covered in the US.

The people leading the "protests" against quarantines right now are militia nuts, anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, and people getting paid by billionaires looking for an astroturf opportunity, but we'll still get the New York Times interviewing both the governor of Michigan and a leading protestor and giving them equal billing in their headlines, since "both sides need to be heard."

Spoiler alert: NO, THEY FUCKING WELL DO NOT BOTH NEED TO BE HEARD, NOR GIVEN EQUAL CREDENCE, YOU INSUFFERABLE COWARDS.

There's an old article about the failure of American media over the past few decades called "The View from Nowhere"; basically, the longtime accusation that the media is "liberal" has created an atmosphere where editors want their journalists to avoid ever making anything even resembling a value judgment, so coverage has to be "Well, Side A says that oxygen is necessary for human beings to breathe and live, while Side B argues that giraffes emit high-frequency, tumor-inducing microwaves and thus must all be hunted to extinction. Who's correct? Really, who can say? We're just shining daylight on the issue."

Basically, they're afraid of offending partisans and potentially losing their business. Instead, the biggest media coverage will go to stories that aren't as likely to set off partisan rancor, like celebrity scandals, plane crashes, college aged girls going missing during Spring Break, etc.

This goes along with an old lie, that "sunlight is the best disinfectant", the idea that if you put the spotlight on a ridiculous, awful, or downright evil set of ideas that it'll get people talking about them and reveal to the world how bad they are, that you'll "start a conversation" about them and that will fix everything. Problem is: there is zero evidence of this being effective. If anything, the evidence points to giving a stage to conspiracy theorists, Nazis, climate change deniers, misogynists, anti-vaxxers, and other assorted tools leading to, get this...more people getting exposed to their uninformed or harmful opinions and agreeing with them, because you've just leant them credibility by giving them space on your TV network/newspaper/etc. What a twist! But since the paper/channel/news outlet gave them a platform, they'll use that to say "You can't accuse us of being biased, we heard from BOTH SIDES!"...again, when one side says "Clean water is good" and the other argues "fuck that, drink mercury, it's great", no, there are not two sides to that issue.

So, yeah, even though literally over 2/3rds of America believes businesses mostly need to remain closed or otherwise highly limited during this (and percentages are much higher with regards to keeping things like schools closed and other places that aren't directly tied to people's ability to make money), the protests were still given breathless coverage by our news media, and surprise-surprise, they're being used by nihilistic politicians to turn what should be a unified national effort to save lives into a partisan fight over "muh freedoms", guns (for some reason), conspiracies about communism, and "very good people" storming statehouses and threatening to kill a duly elected governor. It's a goddamned disaster.

And now I'm rather sure I probably offended someone with that take on the dumbassery of people during all of this.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:36 AM 05-21-2020
Yep I said that and even said after the fact that I should scale back after that and I did, that was like weeks ago though so good cherry pick.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:36 AM 05-21-2020
How is pointing out something they are doing, have anything to do with being right?

Isn't a state cooking it's numbers something that everyone should know cause it's dishonest at best.
I’m not talking about that specific post. I’m talking about reading through ALL your bullshit in this thread, and that goes for those on the other side of this as well, not just you.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:39 AM 05-21-2020
Haven't been following this thread in the last few days so don't know if this has been posted but China is seeing new cases up north by Russia and the virus is possibly changing.

https://fortune.com/2020/05/20/is-co...vid-19-update/

Originally Posted by :
Chinese doctors are seeing the coronavirus manifest differently among patients in its new cluster of cases in the northeast region compared to the original outbreak in Wuhan, suggesting that the pathogen may be changing in unknown ways and complicating efforts to stamp it out.

Patients found in the northern provinces of Jilin and Heilongjiang appear to carry the virus for a longer period of time and take longer to test negative, Qiu Haibo, one of China’s top critical care doctors, told state television on Tuesday.

Patients in the northeast also appear to be taking longer than the one to two weeks observed in Wuhan to develop symptoms after infection, and this delayed onset is making it harder for authorities to catch cases before they spread, said Qiu, who is now in the northern region treating patients.

Qiu said that doctors have also noticed patients in the northeast cluster seem to have damage mostly in their lungs, whereas patients in Wuhan suffered multi-organ damage across the heart, kidney and gut.

[Reply]
Marcellus 09:48 AM 05-21-2020
The same people who are using these lines, are the people who gave exactly 2 shits about any of those issues until it affected their ability to profit off those people.
Complete and total bullshit. Not sure if you noticed from your high horse but alcohol sales are through the roof, the profit is being made there.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:49 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:

dont post politics in it

Then you should have booted Mecca weeks ago.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:54 AM 05-21-2020
Yep I said that and even said after the fact that I should scale back after that and I did, that was like weeks ago though so good cherry pick.
Ah yes, the I am going to post something extremely inflammatory and political in an expressly non-political thread and just apologize for it. If only that were the only post of yours throughout this thread not political in nature. You should have been banned long ago, haven't, so it's fine. The threshold for ban worthy in this thread is very high, much so due to your work in this thread. Good for you.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:54 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

....The WHO and CDC have made many mistakes in the past few months, which is okay since this is the real viral threat the world has faced in the past 100 years, but I hope they've learned from this so that the next time we're challenged by a highly contagious coronavirus, they don't send the public into a hoarding frenzy.
Ummm....

Hong Kong Flu

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:00 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:

i'm not sure anyone WANTS more people to get the virus and possibly die just so they could be right about an argument on chiefsplanet...

that just sounds not right to me, but ive been wrong before
[Reply]
Page 2130 of 3903
« First < 1130163020302080212021262127212821292130 213121322133213421402180223026303130 > Last »
Up