ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2128 of 3903
« First < 1128162820282078211821242125212621272128 212921302131213221382178222826283128 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:07 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The same people who are using these lines, are the people who gave exactly 2 shits about any of those issues until it affected their ability to profit off those people.
Bull shit. The people who are concerned about a rise in despair and lack of opportunity problems are people who care about those issues and want a society that provides individuals an opportunity to do something about them, and they're concerned now because the government is imposing conditions [merits of the imposition aside] that make it harder and in some cases impossible to do anything about them.

In a free society facing viral crisis, effort must be made to persuade the populace of the necessity of the measures imposed, and the citizens should be treated as valued employees performing the national 'job' of fighting the virus. Couple those notions with the pledge to not impose more restrictions than essential, and you make the difference between a populace persuaded to exhibit the resolve to work together, and a populace forced to comply on pain of consequence. And if you're in a populace forced to comply, telling you that your despair or lack of opportunity is 'tough nuts' the sell gets even harder.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:07 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Sure they did. And you'd prefer to believe that offhand anecdote over the abundance of data from around the world which shows the opposite. Confirmation bias.
:-) okay, Mr. Data
[Reply]
petegz28 08:09 AM 05-21-2020
Why do you prefer the advice of 600 doctors over the advice of millions of doctors, epidemiologists, health groups, and health organizations around the world all recommending the opposite?

You prefer the small minority against the overwhelming consensus, because it confirms your bias. No other reason.
Because you know for a fact that these are the only 600 doctors in the entire world that have this position. And you know for a fact that everyone else shared your opinion.

You must know lots of things and stuff.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:11 AM 05-21-2020
"Listen folks, we realize there's a record breaking blizzard happening out there, with ice covered roads, and near zero visibility. But we also know how Frank likes his Keystone Ice. So get out there and drive around."

We're in this together,

AAA Collision Center
could you conjure up a more idiotic, straw man?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:12 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Bull shit. The people who are concerned about a rise in despair and lack of opportunity problems are people who care about those issues and want a society that provides individuals an opportunity to do something about them, and they're concerned now because the government is imposing conditions [merits of the imposition aside] that make it harder and in some cases impossible to do anything about them.

In a free society facing viral crisis, effort must be made to persuade the populace of the necessity of the measures imposed, and the citizens should be treated as valued employees performing the national 'job' of fighting the virus. Couple those notions with the pledge to not impose more restrictions than essential, and you make the difference between a populace persuaded to exhibit the resolve to work together, and a populace forced to comply on pain of consequence. And if you're in a populace forced to comply, telling you that your despair or lack of opportunity is 'tough nuts' the sell gets even harder.
^
[Reply]
Kiimo 08:18 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Unironically Brazil has a president that buried his head in the sand when this started and has already been through 2 health officials because they won't just say what he tells them too...

They actually have the potential to have it be totally devastating there because of ignorance.
Gosh what is that like
[Reply]
BWillie 08:19 AM 05-21-2020
I hate that wearing a mask or not is somehow now a political statement.

Do you people not want to watch Patrick Mahomes play football in the fall or something? Not wearing a mask will help contribute to doing that. And if I can't see Patrick Mahomes play football, I'm going to hate all of you.
[Reply]
Donger 08:23 AM 05-21-2020
Chest-thumping is now a prophylactic.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:24 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:

Do you people not want to watch Patrick Mahomes play football in the fall or something? Not wearing a mask will help contribute to doing that. And if I can't see Patrick Mahomes play football, I'm going to hate all of you.
I'm not sure how much of it is a political statement compared to how much of it is about selfishness or it being equated to not being manly and the issue of how "the man is dying in america"
[Reply]
wazu 08:25 AM 05-21-2020

I'm definitely part of the "end the lockdowns, stop all this nonsense" crowd, but I still wear a mask at the grocery store. It costs me nothing. It also feels like it discourages people from making small talk with me which is a major bonus.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:26 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
I'm definitely part of the "end the lockdowns, stop all this nonsense" crowd, but I still wear a mask at the grocery store. It costs me nothing. It also feels like it discourages people from making small talk with me which is a major bonus.
Ahahha yeah. I find myself talking less. Like I was going to say something to someone, and I was like....nahhh. I can talk in it just fine...but it makes me want to talk less. So I appreciate that.
[Reply]
Mecca 08:30 AM 05-21-2020
I also wanted to point out for the Brazil talk, they are also testing in small numbers so their numbers spiking is a really bad sign. They have a ton of people, lots of poor that live right on top of each other, they're 3rd in cases with a testing number that is 11 times less than the US...

The other place that will likely see this happen is India, their testing is also very sparse and they've risen to 11th in cases.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:31 AM 05-21-2020
Ahahha yeah. I find myself talking less. Like I was going to say something to someone, and I was like....nahhh. I can talk in it just fine...but it makes me want to talk less. So I appreciate that.
I just wear my hospital scrubs everywhere and people can’t get away from me fast enough , not having to talk to random women about their irregular periods is a nice bonus from this.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:32 AM 05-21-2020
Individuals vary almost infinitely.

My sister has asthma, and can't complete much of any tasks in a mask. So she just stays home.

My aunt is deaf and relies on lip reading for a big part of her communication. So this is like her own BirdBox hellscape.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:34 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Individuals vary almost infinitely.

My sister has asthma, and can't complete much of any tasks in a mask. So she just stays home.

My aunt is deaf and relies on lip reading for a big part of her communication. So this is like her own BirdBox hellscape.
My deaf elderly patients don’t understand me to well at wok with my mask on , getting a history from them was hard enough before.
[Reply]
Page 2128 of 3903
« First < 1128162820282078211821242125212621272128 212921302131213221382178222826283128 > Last »
Up