ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 160 of 173
« First < 60110150156157158159160 161162163164170 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:30 AM 08-30-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
A) Elizabeth Olsen references will pretty much pull me from anywhere on this board to weigh on. God almighty.

B) Man, I wish I hadn't have seen this part.

Jesse Plemons pretty much sucks. You had me intrigued but that makes me a little wary.

I guess I need to see that Western he was in with Benedict Cumberbatch but anything else I've seen him in has him just getting wrecked. Dude - what were you thinking taking a role in The Irishman? You can't hang with ANY of those guys. The Key Grip can probably do a better job than you. Just...why?

He keeps getting good gigs with great casts - some SOMEBODY disagrees with me. I just don't see it.

Maybe Chris Jones should hire his agent?
I think his performance is not bad. Some of his mannerisms and stoicism is off putting. But I think a function of the character. Because there are parts (when he’s with Olsen) where he is a different character. But it fits with ultra religious Texas dudes whose societal norms are to internalize everything.

Much like Ben Stein is not that dude in Ferris Buellers Day off, that’s what the part calls for and I think that’s the case here.

I’m no Stan for Plemmons. But I think he did a nice job here. As an actor he’ll never be able to pull off the Pachino “ITS A GREAT ASS” from Heat, but this isn’t that. I think, if you look objectively, they tried to cram a lot of nuance into his character. I didn’t like the character, but I probably wouldn’t like the Pachino - Heat character either. Well, at least after the coke wore off.

Really, watch the show. If for no other reason than Olsen is really fucking good and HBO deserves the runway. It’s not some masterpiece but it is an interesting look at a segment of society that isn’t often inspected.

One other thing you specifically might enjoy is Tom Pelphrey railing against the Judge. There was some quality profanity there.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:48 PM 08-30-2023
This seems like the right spot.

"Still" on Apple+ is really poignant and really good, especially for those of us that kinda grew up with Michael J. Fox.

Just a fascinating take on a bio-pic. They splice pieces from movies/shows he did along with readings of his audio books and recent interviews to discuss his career, diagnosis, progression of his disease and outlook on life.

Its just damn well done and fairly unique as far as approach goes.

And while it makes you want to feel bad for Michael J. Fox - he kinda makes that impossible because he's just so damn unflappable in the face of it all.

"What happened there?"

"Oh that? I fell. And I was a little surprised so I didn't fall like I usually do and I hit my face on the coffee table. When I came too I realized 'oh I think I fucked myself up' so I went to the doctor and yeah - these are pins and screws here in my cheek because I broke my face..."

Just completely non-plussed by the whole thing.

He's a pretty remarkable guy who almost never became a thing at all. I mean it seems like it was a question of days before he packed up his shit and went back to Canada. Some of the most fascinating stuff, though, is the signs he hid so well. He was diagnosed like 8 years before he announced he had Parkinson's. And if you watch, you can see the tics and things he did to hide them. They show it a few times but by no means do they dwell on it.

It's worth 90 minutes.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:56 PM 08-30-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I think his performance is not bad. Some of his mannerisms and stoicism is off putting. But I think a function of the character. Because there are parts (when he’s with Olsen) where he is a different character. But it fits with ultra religious Texas dudes whose societal norms are to internalize everything.

Much like Ben Stein is not that dude in Ferris Buellers Day off, that’s what the part calls for and I think that’s the case here.

I’m no Stan for Plemmons. But I think he did a nice job here. As an actor he’ll never be able to pull off the Pachino “ITS A GREAT ASS” from Heat, but this isn’t that. I think, if you look objectively, they tried to cram a lot of nuance into his character. I didn’t like the character, but I probably wouldn’t like the Pachino - Heat character either. Well, at least after the coke wore off.

Really, watch the show. If for no other reason than Olsen is really fucking good and HBO deserves the runway. It’s not some masterpiece but it is an interesting look at a segment of society that isn’t often inspected.

One other thing you specifically might enjoy is Tom Pelphrey railing against the Judge. There was some quality profanity there.
Admittedly, there are just some actors I don't like.

I know people love Timothy Olyphant but I just don't. Have never been happy to see him in a role though I'm still trying to talk myself into finding a streaming service for Justified because I've been told I'll like him, bias be damned.

Richard Madden is just lousy. So very, very bad. And people want to try to make him Bond? I don't get it. McCaughnahey (spelled that wrong) wears me out. I think Forest Whittaker is overrated as hell. I just get 'down' on certain actors and have little use for them.

But then I have guys like Karl Urban and David Tennant who I think are fantastic and would watch them read a phonebook. I think Gene Hackman is arguably the most criminally underrated actor of all-time (and Robert Duvall is kindof his overrated flipside).

I may not be being fair to Plemons - showing up as a fat fuck in the Breaking Bad sequel almost certainly poisoned the well there. But I just don't like him.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:14 PM 08-30-2023
This seems like the right spot.

"Still" on Apple+ is really poignant and really good, especially for those of us that kinda grew up with Michael J. Fox.

Just a fascinating take on a bio-pic. They splice pieces from movies/shows he did along with readings of his audio books and recent interviews to discuss his career, diagnosis, progression of his disease and outlook on life.

Its just damn well done and fairly unique as far as approach goes.

And while it makes you want to feel bad for Michael J. Fox - he kinda makes that impossible because he's just so damn unflappable in the face of it all.

"What happened there?"

"Oh that? I fell. And I was a little surprised so I didn't fall like I usually do and I hit my face on the coffee table. When I came too I realized 'oh I think I fucked myself up' so I went to the doctor and yeah - these are pins and screws here in my cheek because I broke my face..."

Just completely non-plussed by the whole thing.

He's a pretty remarkable guy who almost never became a thing at all. I mean it seems like it was a question of days before he packed up his shit and went back to Canada. Some of the most fascinating stuff, though, is the signs he hid so well. He was diagnosed like 8 years before he announced he had Parkinson's. And if you watch, you can see the tics and things he did to hide them. They show it a few times but by no means do they dwell on it.

It's worth 90 minutes.
Interesting. Thanks.
[Reply]
Buehler445 04:18 PM 08-30-2023
Admittedly, there are just some actors I don't like.

I know people love Timothy Olyphant but I just don't. Have never been happy to see him in a role though I'm still trying to talk myself into finding a streaming service for Justified because I've been told I'll like him, bias be damned.

Richard Madden is just lousy. So very, very bad. And people want to try to make him Bond? I don't get it. McCaughnahey (spelled that wrong) wears me out. I think Forest Whittaker is overrated as hell. I just get 'down' on certain actors and have little use for them.

But then I have guys like Karl Urban and David Tennant who I think are fantastic and would watch them read a phonebook. I think Gene Hackman is arguably the most criminally underrated actor of all-time (and Robert Duvall is kindof his overrated flipside).

I may not be being fair to Plemons - showing up as a fat fuck in the Breaking Bad sequel almost certainly poisoned the well there. But I just don't like him.
I am a giant Justified fan, and don't really like Olyphant in anything other than Deadwood, so I'm with on you everything there.

Just watch the show. If you can't shut off the fuck you gene (I have that gene. It's...we'll call it expressed), just tune him out. He's not in it a ton. IMO, his performance is worth watching, but if you hate him, just watch Olsen.
[Reply]
Pinchshot 06:08 PM 08-30-2023
I was so excited to see the new Justified. Loved the old series. But this version sucks. Olyphant looks like he's got aids - so skinny. And who wants to see geriatric sex? There are some good scenes but all in all I'd give it a D. I quit recording it.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 06:26 PM 08-30-2023
Plemmons seems to always play characters as if they are clueless or slow about what is going on around them. Like they're playing checkers when the rest of the characters are playing chess. Like something is missing upstairs.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 06:51 PM 08-30-2023
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
Plemmons seems to always play characters as if they are clueless or slow about what is going on around them. Like they're playing checkers when the rest of the characters are playing chess. Like something is missing upstairs.
He's always a plus for me, like a more charming and obese Matt Damon.
[Reply]
SAGA45 03:01 PM 09-01-2023
Finished binge watching Yellowstone. Beth Dutton - great rack. Horrible character. Rip needs his own show.
[Reply]
HemiEd 04:36 PM 09-04-2023
I did what I thought was a thorough search of this thread and forum with nothing coming up. Sorry if I missed it.

The Series "Your Honor" is one of the best I have ever watched. Highly recommend it.
I watched it on Paramount Plus

[Reply]
BigRichard 07:46 AM 09-06-2023
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I did what I thought was a thorough search of this thread and forum with nothing coming up. Sorry if I missed it.

The Series "Your Honor" is one of the best I have ever watched. Highly recommend it.
That looks good. How many seasons is it?
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 12:04 PM 09-06-2023
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
I'm a bit behind the times, but started binging Ballers last week on Netflix. Good times!
Finished this last week. Surprised it didn't get more discussion here since it's football adjacent, and the last season has the Rock's character as owner of the Chiefs...
[Reply]
HemiEd 01:45 PM 09-06-2023
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
That looks good. How many seasons is it?
Just two, and I don't see how there could be a third the way it ended, but they might surprise us.
[Reply]
srvy 04:55 PM 09-06-2023
Originally Posted by HemiEd:

This looks interesting. I have Paramount plus I'll have to see if I have the Showtime add on.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:25 PM 09-06-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
This looks interesting. I have Paramount plus I'll have to see if I have the Showtime add on.
Paramount Plus will get it done, no need for the Showtime if I am not wrong. We don't have the Showtime, they are getting ridiculus with all of these options.
[Reply]
Page 160 of 173
« First < 60110150156157158159160 161162163164170 > Last »
Up