ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2264 of 3903
« First < 1264176421642214225422602261226222632264 226522662267226822742314236427643264 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 10:54 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Applaud all you want, but I damn well know the total number of people in this world who have my best interest in mind is 1.
That's 100% true but that also doesn't mean Grandma Betty knows her nose from her rectum when talking about how viruses spread.

The reality is people have always been like that though, the internet just gives them a microphone. It's even worse today because people's opinions on this are largely based on what their political views are and little to do with the actual facts. Go team, rah rah rah.
[Reply]
stevieray 10:55 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by limested:
too big a self centered pussy
Interesting.

Curious, do you watch yourself work out while wearing your mask?
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:16 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
It DOES exist in a vacuum. That's essentially the point of the scientific process. It's independent of any single person's opinion. And it's subject to peer review, which means it must prove itself to other people's testing who want nothing more than to prove the claim untrue. That's the entire point. The scientific process is dependent on the entirety of information. If it can be proven untrue, it deserves to be and every effort should be taken to do so.
And we should be able to take that information and make our own decisions based on it.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:21 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
Fair enough, and meant no disrespect to you. I personally operate under the mindset to seek to learn the vast amount I don’t know and surround myself with people of varying strengths & perspectives. Wisdom is not knowing all the answers, but being sage enough to see problems through different perspectives and with that knowledge make good decisions. Too many people throw the science to the side and say “my freedom means I’m not wearing a mask in Costco” or wherever. Right but the most recent science says you increase the odds of infecting others if you don’t wear the mask, and we can decrease 80% of infections if everyone plays along so wear the mask. Im all for ending the lockdowns to open the economy, but we have to do it responsibly and in a manner that limits risks to others, or we will regress with poor outcomes.
Fair enough and I agree with limiting risk, while still understanding we'll never fully eliminate it.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:25 PM 05-27-2020
And we should be able to take that information and make our own decisions based on it.
It’s a simple concept that some people seem incapable of grasping
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:29 PM 05-27-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
It’s a simple concept that some people seem incapable of grasping
I should have added that we need to add the appropriate measure of responsibility when making those decisions. That seems to be where a lot of people go off the rails.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:31 PM 05-27-2020
I should have added that we need to add the appropriate measure of responsibility when making those decisions. That seems to be where a lot of people go off the rails.
I stop at using government force to make people do as I seem fit... to a certain point.
[Reply]
Bugeater 11:35 PM 05-27-2020
I certainly prefer that is doesn't come down to that as well.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:25 AM 05-28-2020
Only in America could wearing a mask during a pandemic become politicized.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 01:33 AM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Only in America could wearing a mask during a pandemic become politicized.
It may not be politicized, but it sounds like the same divisive thinking is in Canada as well. It sounds like they’re just making the smart decision to leave politics out of it and letting stores and people decide for themselves.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5582892
Originally Posted by :
But others believe wearing a face mask should be a personal choice.

Patsy Massoudi, another Edmontonian out on Sunday, said they should be worn in smaller spaces, but otherwise it should be a personal decision.

"I'm all about choice," Massoudi said.

In Alberta, the provincial government doesn't have any plans to make face masks mandatory. On Friday, Premier Jason Kenney said his government strongly encourages their use, but that making them mandatory creates too large of an enforcement problem.

"Our approach has been more of an advisory approach than a heavy-handed restriction approach," Kenney said on Friday. "There obviously have been some restrictions, but we want to trust people to exercise personal responsibility rather than policing everybody in a heavy-handed way."

[Reply]
Gravedigger 01:59 AM 05-28-2020
My wife had a miscarriage around Christmas with our first expected child since we got married last July. Now, four months later, we're lucky to be expecting again but hopeful for a different result. I saw how it affected her, so if I can do anything in my power to not have that happen for her, or myself, again, I will do it.

Do I know that Corona will affect us negatively? No, there's a chance it could pass through easily on both of us. However it could have the exact opposite effect, and that risk is too much for me to take at this time. But I have to get out, we have to go to the grocery store, we have to eat, eventually we have to get haircuts, we have to have some social interaction with our friends to remind us that we aren't alone in the world and that there is an end to the tunnel. I get both sides, I apologize if anyone feels attacked by my comments in this or other threads, but for me there's no question why I do what I do. Rather safe than sorry is the name of the game for me, but I get why there was a massive party at Lake of the Ozarks on one of the only nice weather days of that weekend. I wouldn't do it, but I get why others would. Try not to shame others for what they do, but respect my choice to wear a mask and take risk averse actions to keep my family as safe as possible. Everyone you see out there has a reason to believe what they believe in this pandemic, but don't think you have the right to tell someone to believe something different then what they know is the right situation for them.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 02:20 AM 05-28-2020
Not sure if this has been brought up before but I found an interesting piece of history about the anti-mask league of San Francisco. Seems like we’re definitely just repeating history in a way.

The first mask requirement law in San Francisco was in place from October 25-November 21st 1918. Fun to note that the city health official and mayor paid fines for not wearing masks to a boxing match during this time. When another wave hit in January the masks were required again on January 17, 1919. This is when the anti-mask league of San Francisco was formed.

The group presented a signed petition to the cities Board of Supervisors on January 27th, 1919 requesting the mask ordinance be repealed. February 1st 1919 it was officially repealed.

Just found that to be pretty interesting. It sounds like people had similar ways of thinking about the masks 100 years ago.

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/19...ing-resistance
[Reply]
KregWillis 02:36 AM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
My wife had a miscarriage around Christmas with our first expected child since we got married last July. Now, four months later, we're lucky to be expecting again but hopeful for a different result. I saw how it affected her, so if I can do anything in my power to not have that happen for her, or myself, again, I will do it.

Do I know that Corona will affect us negatively? No, there's a chance it could pass through easily on both of us. However it could have the exact opposite effect, and that risk is too much for me to take at this time. But I have to get out, we have to go to the grocery store, we have to eat, eventually we have to get haircuts, we have to have some social interaction with our friends to remind us that we aren't alone in the world and that there is an end to the tunnel. I get both sides, I apologize if anyone feels attacked by my comments in this or other threads, but for me there's no question why I do what I do. Rather safe than sorry is the name of the game for me, but I get why there was a massive party at Lake of the Ozarks on one of the only nice weather days of that weekend. I wouldn't do it, but I get why others would. Try not to shame others for what they do, but respect my choice to wear a mask and take risk averse actions to keep my family as safe as possible. Everyone you see out there has a reason to believe what they believe in this pandemic, but don't think you have the right to tell someone to believe something different then what they know is the right situation for them.
Totally agree! We've never been faced with such a disease before, that's why people do the best to cope with the situation as much as they can. Wish you all the best to you and your family!
[Reply]
Monticore 05:08 AM 05-28-2020
When your decision can affect others even if it is just perception , not just this virus , the environment, politics etc.. that is when things go off the rails .

in this case it is not just perception unfortunately .
[Reply]
lewdog 07:19 AM 05-28-2020
Department of health is paying for my antibody testing.

Not sure this will mean much as studies on antibodies for this look weak and scattered with what it means.
[Reply]
Page 2264 of 3903
« First < 1264176421642214225422602261226222632264 226522662267226822742314236427643264 > Last »
Up