ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 328 of 934
« First < 228278318324325326327328 329330331332338378428828 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:42 PM 05-20-2020
For most people its hard to get a car especially if you grew up flipping burgers 50 hours a week to get a shitbox
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:48 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Maybe that's it. Maybe they just don't know anything different and so can't imagine anything different. But jeez, it seems like at some point they'd start to figure out that there's a better way. I have family members who struggle to afford food and medicine, and then they'll excitedly tell me about buying a dune buggy. (True story - elderly relatives who have to be financially supported by family, and they bought a dune buggy a while back. And it's not even a working dune buggy.)

On the topic of financial literacy, I had an argument with my father last year about my car. My wife and I have one car because we live in the city and I walk everywhere. We kind of inherited a new car from my wife's father, so we ended up with two cars for a bit. I then sold one of them, and got an earful from my father about it. I swear this is a true conversation.

Father: Why'd you sell your car?
Me: We didn't need it.
Father: But you could have kept it.
Father (more insistently): But you could have KEPT it.
Me: Why would I keep it? It costs money to own a car, and we weren't driving it.
Father: It doesn't cost any money to own a car.
Me: What are you talking about? Of course it costs money. You have to have insurance and license plates, and you have to pay taxes and you have to maintain it. Of course it costs money.
Father: You don't have to do any of that.
Me: What? Of course you do.
Father: Just park it. Leave it in the garage and don't drive it. Then you don't have to do any of that stuff. It doesn't cost anything.
Me: You want me to just park a car in my garage and then not be able to drive it? That makes zero sense.
Father: BUT YOU'D STILL HAVE A CAR! NOW YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR!

It's like he doesn't even understand what money is. He thinks that because he can't see a car, it completely disappeared, and he can't comprehend that I converted the depreciating car into money that I have now invested to get a return. He put me on blast, and then told other relatives that I don't respect him because I won't take his advice. Well, duh.
LOL, I can see both sides. A dependable car is an asset even if you don't drive it because if your current car breaks down with a major repair then you have one to fall back to. I have two of those but one is a jeep I painted camo with bedliner. the whole thing is covered with bedliner and its cool. I don't drive it but once every two years. I really don't know why I actually keep it. I don't tag it until I want to drive it. It has a rebuilt motor with less than 5000 miles so it's value is more to me than it would be to the next guy.

On a side note I keep getting these calls from some ,"affordable insurance" asking if they could lower my auto insurance rate and since they are of India accent I presume they are a scammer. So they ask if I have a car and I of course say yes. "Well, if I can lower your insurance rate would you be interested. "I don't carry insurance , it's too expensive". They always pause there. "well , so you drive without insurance". Me: "yes I'm a safe driver"

Click!
[Reply]
ghak99 03:35 PM 05-20-2020
Maybe that's it. Maybe they just don't know anything different and so can't imagine anything different. But jeez, it seems like at some point they'd start to figure out that there's a better way. I have family members who struggle to afford food and medicine, and then they'll excitedly tell me about buying a dune buggy. (True story - elderly relatives who have to be financially supported by family, and they bought a dune buggy a while back. And it's not even a working dune buggy.)

On the topic of financial literacy, I had an argument with my father last year about my car. My wife and I have one car because we live in the city and I walk everywhere. We kind of inherited a new car from my wife's father, so we ended up with two cars for a bit. I then sold one of them, and got an earful from my father about it. I swear this is a true conversation.

Father: Why'd you sell your car?
Father: But you could have kept it.
Father (more insistently): But you could have KEPT it.
Me: Why would I keep it? It costs money to own a car, and we weren't driving it.
Father: It doesn't cost any money to own a car.
Me: What are you talking about? Of course it costs money. You have to have insurance and license plates, and you have to pay taxes and you have to maintain it. Of course it costs money.
Father: You don't have to do any of that.
Me: What? Of course you do.
Father: Just park it. Leave it in the garage and don't drive it. Then you don't have to do any of that stuff. It doesn't cost anything.
Me: You want me to just park a car in my garage and then not be able to drive it? That makes zero sense.
Father: BUT YOU'D STILL HAVE A CAR! NOW YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR!

It's like he doesn't even understand what money is. He thinks that because he can't see a car, it completely disappeared, and he can't comprehend that I converted the depreciating car into money that I have now invested to get a return. He put me on blast, and then told other relatives that I don't respect him because I won't take his advice. Well, duh.
What you did makes perfect sense.

.... but I have multiple vehicles sitting around doing nothing, so what do I know. :-)
[Reply]
jdubya 03:46 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Feel like I should take profit in IBIO and MARK today and put it all in VTIQ before the June 2 merger gets too close. THOUGHTS?!?!!!!!
Guns and real estate is for buying and not for selling.......and thats how I have played my stocks so far. I`m waiting for IBIO to reach 3 or 4 within a few months and I`ll pull the trigger.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:58 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
For most people its hard to get a car especially if you grew up flipping burgers 50 hours a week to get a shitbox
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
LOL, I can see both sides. A dependable car is an asset even if you don't drive it because if your current car breaks down with a major repair then you have one to fall back to. I have two of those but one is a jeep I painted camo with bedliner. the whole thing is covered with bedliner and its cool. I don't drive it but once every two years. I really don't know why I actually keep it. I don't tag it until I want to drive it. It has a rebuilt motor with less than 5000 miles so it's value is more to me than it would be to the next guy.

On a side note I keep getting these calls from some ,"affordable insurance" asking if they could lower my auto insurance rate and since they are of India accent I presume they are a scammer. So they ask if I have a car and I of course say yes. "Well, if I can lower your insurance rate would you be interested. "I don't carry insurance , it's too expensive". They always pause there. "well , so you drive without insurance". Me: "yes I'm a safe driver"

Click!
Originally Posted by ghak99:
What you did makes perfect sense.

.... but I have multiple vehicles sitting around doing nothing, so what do I know. :-)

Haha. I guess there are a number of reasonable perspectives. Point taken.

In my defense, my parents are hoarders and their answer to everything is to put it in a shed and keep it, so I'm very sensitive about NOT becoming a hoarder. And my other advantage is that I live in the middle of a city, so on the rare occasions where I need a car I can walk to a rental car place and get one for $50 or so. It's way cheaper than keeping my own car.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 04:55 PM 05-20-2020
things you own end up owning you
[Reply]
ghak99 05:36 PM 05-20-2020
My parents are the same way Rain Man.

You sent me down the rabbit hole...

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:47 PM 05-20-2020
LOL Ghak. Dad has grandpas D and 2 of his airplanes. That’s about the extent of the sentimental crap he has. I can’t believe you keep that under roof. Dad used to keep just a goddamned mountain of shit. Because “you might be able to make something out of that someday”. I started asking him why he built an expensive ass shop to store bullshit in? Started putting numbers on it and he got the picture.

There’s still shit around, but we’re headed the right direction.
[Reply]
jdubya 06:02 PM 05-20-2020
Not to drift away from the finance talk but some of these "hoarding" type stories makes me wonder what ages we are talking of. There is definitely an age group that lived through the depression or raised by those who lived through the depression that could easily explain why some folks refuse to give anything up that isnt broken.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:14 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Not to drift away from the finance talk but some of these "hoarding" type stories makes me wonder what ages we are talking of. There is definitely an age group that lived through the depression or raised by those who lived through the depression that could easily explain why some folks refuse to give anything up that isnt broken.
Dads dad was born in 16. So formative years certainly in the depression. Another aspect of dads deal is that’s how he got his start largely. Find some junk fix it and make it work for you. However I haven’t got the time to piddle.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:41 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
In my case, my parents are definitely post depression era. They came of age in the boom times of the late 50s and 60s, so they've got no excuse other than maybe being from a poor rural area where it was traditional to have yards full of junk. But their siblings aren't hoarders, so there's something else going on besides their life experience.

It's really unfortunate. They live in about 250 square feet in their house because there are piles of things everywhere, most of which has no value, and they spend money on places to store other stuff that has no real value. Their lives would be so much better if we could take a month and haul it all off, but they're adamantly protective of it.
[Reply]
philfree 06:43 PM 05-20-2020
I started buying stocks on 3-11 and since then I've bought into about 30 different holdings. I'm up 30% on those investments. I want these to be long term investments so I feel good about it. If things go well by the time Trump gets re-elected the Dow 30 will hit 30,000. and I'll be up at least 50% overall on my investments. I still have lots of dry powder too so the options are limitless. I hate to follow the herd so I don't own FB or AMZN although I do own some APPL. I wish I had bought some FB and AMZN. I still might because they will most likely just keep going up.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:47 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by ghak99:
My parents are the same way Rain Man.

You sent me down the rabbit hole...
I guess in a pinch you could live in that farm equipment.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:48 PM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
I started buying stocks on 3-11 and since then I've bought into about 30 different holdings. I'm up 30% on those investments. I want these to be long term investments so I feel good about it. If things go well by the time Trump gets re-elected the Dow 30 will hit 30,000. and I'll be up at least 50% overall on my investments. I still have lots of dry powder too so the options are limitless. I hate to follow the herd so I don't own FB or AMZN although I do own some APPL. I wish I had bought some FB and AMZN. I still might because they will most likely just keep going up.
That's good timing to start buying.

I'd be a very happy man if the Dow hits 30,000 this year.
[Reply]
jdubya 06:49 PM 05-20-2020
In my case, my parents are definitely post depression era. They came of age in the boom times of the late 50s and 60s, so they've got no excuse other than maybe being from a poor rural area where it was traditional to have yards full of junk. But their siblings aren't hoarders, so there's something else going on besides their life experience.

It's really unfortunate. They live in about 250 square feet in their house because there are piles of things everywhere, most of which has no value, and they spend money on places to store other stuff that has no real value. Their lives would be so much better if we could take a month and haul it all off, but they're adamantly protective of it.
Ya. I have seen people who have a great deal of clutter because they cant throw away anything that "still works" versus acute psychological issues where you cant even see the floor of a house because every square inch is holding stacks of trash, newspapers, boxes of pure junk. The latter have some serious issues.
[Reply]
Page 328 of 934
« First < 228278318324325326327328 329330331332338378428828 > Last »
Up