Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 07:26 PM 05-19-2020
Red for me today
[Reply]
lewdog 07:29 PM 05-19-2020
I started a small position in TLT. I use it as a hedge type move to lessen losses in a decline without having to buy an inverse fund and get totally fucked (have before-oops).
[Reply]
jdubya 07:33 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I started a small position in TLT. I use it as a hedge type move to lessen losses in a decline without having to buy an inverse fund and get totally ****ed (have before-oops).
Can you type that in Catonese/arabic? Id understand it just as well lol.

This is why I dont do any serious investing by myself lol
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:38 PM 05-19-2020
Today was a great day for me!

4 walleye ( a 22 inch and a 19 inch)
3 crappie
[Reply]
lewdog 07:51 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Can you type that in Catonese/arabic? Id understand it just as well lol.

This is why I dont do any serious investing by myself lol
Really anyone can learn basic investing. People just always seem to busy to learn about how to manage money. I have a Master’s degree but have never taken a single business course. I just wanted to learn how to manage money so I self taught just reading articles and a few books. I firmly believe all college graduates should have to take a finances course and much of the basics should be taught in high school.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:09 PM 05-19-2020
Really anyone can learn basic investing. People just always seem to busy to learn about how to manage money. I have a Master’s degree but have never taken a single business course. I just wanted to learn how to manage money so I self taught just reading articles and a few books. I firmly believe all college graduates should have to take a finances course and much of the basics should be taught in high school.
Yeah, it’s remarkable how little a majority of the population knows.

We had this dude working for us. Comes wants a job. So much an hour fine. Always seems to have something to do. Needs to come late. Wants to leave early always has shit to do. So naturally he broke. All the time. Zomg how am I going to make rent blah blah blah. Dude if I were broke and hourly you couldn’t drag me out of that farm with a log chain. Nope. Gotta do this gotta do that.

Then later on he’s plying me for a raise. Which I’m not going to give him because he doesn’t work enough. Anyway he’s whining to me that he doesn’t have any retirement and his dad took retirement at 58 or whatever the soonest he could take (prorated) social security. So his dad is starving to death on prorated social security and doesn’t have a 401k or anything like that. And he doesn’t want to be that way. Wants to do better blah blah blah. His narrative was that he’s this great employee and deserves better. He wasn’t and didn’t, but that doesn’t matter to the story.

So I ask him if he has an IRA. What’s that? Jesus man. A 20 minute google search on “retirement” and you can probably know enough to get a retirement fund started anyway. But all I get is a blank look. So I told him to bring me all his information and I’d help him get one started.

Guess what he never did. Start a retirement fund. But somehow it’s my fault that his dad is a flaming moron and took social security as early as he possibly could and had no other savings. And he’s unwilling to do anything to prevent it from happening to him.

He left and it’s fine. He was obviously not operating in good faith, so I’m fine with it.

But he was obviously worried about it, but totally unwilling to do anything to even try to figure out what to do. Just expect Buehler to fix it.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:20 PM 05-19-2020
ZBISF was up big today! It could be the start of a trend.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:47 PM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Yeah, it’s remarkable how little a majority of the population knows.

We had this dude working for us. Comes wants a job. So much an hour fine. Always seems to have something to do. Needs to come late. Wants to leave early always has shit to do. So naturally he broke. All the time. Zomg how am I going to make rent blah blah blah. Dude if I were broke and hourly you couldn’t drag me out of that farm with a log chain. Nope. Gotta do this gotta do that.

Then later on he’s plying me for a raise. Which I’m not going to give him because he doesn’t work enough. Anyway he’s whining to me that he doesn’t have any retirement and his dad took retirement at 58 or whatever the soonest he could take (prorated) social security. So his dad is starving to death on prorated social security and doesn’t have a 401k or anything like that. And he doesn’t want to be that way. Wants to do better blah blah blah. His narrative was that he’s this great employee and deserves better. He wasn’t and didn’t, but that doesn’t matter to the story.

So I ask him if he has an IRA. What’s that? Jesus man. A 20 minute google search on “retirement” and you can probably know enough to get a retirement fund started anyway. But all I get is a blank look. So I told him to bring me all his information and I’d help him get one started.

Guess what he never did. Start a retirement fund. But somehow it’s my fault that his dad is a flaming moron and took social security as early as he possibly could and had no other savings. And he’s unwilling to do anything to prevent it from happening to him.

He left and it’s fine. He was obviously not operating in good faith, so I’m fine with it.

But he was obviously worried about it, but totally unwilling to do anything to even try to figure out what to do. Just expect Buehler to fix it.

I'm really curious what causes a person to go the grasshopper route or the ant route on finances. Handling your money poorly causes so much stress and so many problems, and yet some people seem to be completely unwilling to learn. It's not even that hard to learn the basics, but I see people making terrible financial decisions all the time.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:20 AM 05-20-2020
Feel like I should take profit in IBIO and MARK today and put it all in VTIQ before the June 2 merger gets too close. THOUGHTS?!?!!!!!
[Reply]
ThaVirus 07:04 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm really curious what causes a person to go the grasshopper route or the ant route on finances. Handling your money poorly causes so much stress and so many problems, and yet some people seem to be completely unwilling to learn. It's not even that hard to learn the basics, but I see people making terrible financial decisions all the time.
Literally every member of my immediate family is the type to spend money like it's going to rot.

I don't have any insight into their inner thoughts, but I have to assume they just get used to the struggle over time. "If they knew better, they'd do better" kind of thing.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:14 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

When my daughter gets out of college (2 1/2 years more) I'm thinking I'm going to refinance one of my rentals that are already paid off and use that money to buy me a really big boat.

I'm torn to if thats a good financial decision or not???

My little bass boat can't handle 4 foot swells so a bigger boat could save my life and I really don't want to die at this point in life, I mean we just got our QB.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:41 AM 05-20-2020
COST to report earnings 5/28.

I’m in today at $304.50.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 08:51 AM 05-20-2020
COST to report earnings 5/28.

I’m in today at $304.50.
You got this.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:01 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
[/B]

When my daughter gets out of college (2 1/2 years more) I'm thinking I'm going to refinance one of my rentals that are already paid off and use that money to buy me a really big boat.

I'm torn to if thats a good financial decision or not???

My little bass boat can't handle 4 foot swells so a bigger boat could save my life and I really don't want to die at this point in life, I mean we just got our QB.
It's a great financial decision if you can afford it. Dying at sea is no way to live.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:41 AM 05-20-2020
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Literally every member of my immediate family is the type to spend money like it's going to rot.

I don't have any insight into their inner thoughts, but I have to assume they just get used to the struggle over time. "If they knew better, they'd do better" kind of thing.
Maybe that's it. Maybe they just don't know anything different and so can't imagine anything different. But jeez, it seems like at some point they'd start to figure out that there's a better way. I have family members who struggle to afford food and medicine, and then they'll excitedly tell me about buying a dune buggy. (True story - elderly relatives who have to be financially supported by family, and they bought a dune buggy a while back. And it's not even a working dune buggy.)

On the topic of financial literacy, I had an argument with my father last year about my car. My wife and I have one car because we live in the city and I walk everywhere. We kind of inherited a new car from my wife's father, so we ended up with two cars for a bit. I then sold one of them, and got an earful from my father about it. I swear this is a true conversation.

Father: Why'd you sell your car?
Me: We didn't need it.
Father: But you could have kept it.
Me: We didn't need it.
Father (more insistently): But you could have KEPT it.
Me: Why would I keep it? It costs money to own a car, and we weren't driving it.
Father: It doesn't cost any money to own a car.
Me: What are you talking about? Of course it costs money. You have to have insurance and license plates, and you have to pay taxes and you have to maintain it. Of course it costs money.
Father: You don't have to do any of that.
Me: What? Of course you do.
Father: Just park it. Leave it in the garage and don't drive it. Then you don't have to do any of that stuff. It doesn't cost anything.
Me: You want me to just park a car in my garage and then not be able to drive it? That makes zero sense.
Father: BUT YOU'D STILL HAVE A CAR! NOW YOU DON'T HAVE A CAR!

It's like he doesn't even understand what money is. He thinks that because he can't see a car, it completely disappeared, and he can't comprehend that I converted the depreciating car into money that I have now invested to get a return. He put me on blast, and then told other relatives that I don't respect him because I won't take his advice. Well, duh.
[Reply]
Page 327 of 934
« First < 227277317323324325326327 328329330331337377427827 > Last »
Up