ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 20
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Home brew
Dartgod 10:46 AM 01-16-2005
I know there are some other home brewers on here; Bwana and TJ for starters.

I'm brewing my first batch ever today. It's a German wheat. Looking forward to tasting this bad boy in about a month! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 11:28 PM 01-21-2005
Kegging is definitely worth it. Especially if you happen to know someone that works for Pepsi, we got all our gear free.
Jim, if you have all the equipment, I'd HIGHLY recommend doing your 15 gallons in kegs. Do you have a place to cool the kegs? If not, get a cheap deep freeze and buy a temp. controller and you're set.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 11:29 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Yeah, I've been reading up on it and I guess it's common knowledge thats the same strain Sierra Nevada uses.
BTW, it's pretty easy to harvest the yeast from a bottle of Sierra Nevada.

Here's a good article on how to harvest yeast from some commercial beers. The beer has to be bottle conditioned and most aren't, but Sierra Nevada is.
[Reply]
Joe Seahawk 12:07 AM 01-22-2005
I bought 2 cases of bottles, so not much to clean this time. I've got a great big keg tub that I'll use to sanitize them in.

That's pretty cool idea for a business. They get a lot of people brweing there?
Yeah, It's actually a lot of fun He's got 8 kettles but if you make an appointment it goes very well.. The wort chiller is very handy, No more staying up til 3AM waiting for wort to cool to the proper temp the chiller cools it to the desired temp that you choose instantly..: thumb:

I've actually made several identical batches there, something I was never able to do at home.. But like I said.. I kind of miss making it in my house..
[Reply]
Joe Seahawk 12:11 AM 01-22-2005
I completely believe this theory..

Originally Posted by :
Filtered Brew vs. Unfiltered?
After many nights of rigorous testing with the scientists at GALLAGHERS INSTITUTE OF BEEROLOGY, Ales Division, we have confirmed our suspicions.

Yeast is good for you.

Home brewers have long claimed that unfiltered beer is healthier for you. Filtering makes beer clear but removes all the yeast and all the wonderful flavors that they provide. Yeast provides B vitamins which have been claimed to reduce the affects of hangovers.

To test that theory, the scientists subjected themselves to repeated nights of studying the affect of filtered vs. unfiltered.

We concluded filtered beer nights produced a wish for quick death, unfiltered nights brought the memory of a great meal!

Decide what's right for you.

Seriously though, unfiltered beer does furnish many more vitamins.

If any of you have other studies or information to confirm this theory, please contact the Beer Scientists at Gallagher's.

[Reply]
Fairplay 03:28 AM 01-22-2005
A friend of mine use to make home brew quite a bit. He would invite some of us who worked with him to come over and taste his new batch. Generally speaking most of them had a slight vinger taste to them. But you got a good buzz after only a couple beers. Good times.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:54 AM 01-22-2005
Today I'm only seeing bubbles in the airlock every 30-60 seconds and the gravity is now 1.019 (1.018 @ 71*). OG was 1.054. I was planning to rack it to the secondary tomorrow. Should I wait?
[Reply]
Bwana 10:01 AM 01-22-2005
Today I'm only seeing bubbles in the airlock every 30-60 seconds and the gravity is now 1.019 (1.018 @ 71*). OG was 1.054. I was planning to rack it to the secondary tomorrow. Should I wait?
IMHO........yes.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:09 AM 01-22-2005
My first bacth of home brew was all grain and have never brewed from extracts. I guess I am cursed with the desire to make everything as perfect and complicated as possible. It was so much work (12-14 hr brew sessions) that I wanted to go to 15 gal batches, kegs, dedicated refrigerators, etc so I wouldn't have to brew as often (or at least get more out of the effort). At that point I backed away from the hobby, cause I really couldn't justify the $ for setting up my brewery the way I wanted it.
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:10 AM 01-22-2005
Originally Posted by Bwana:
IMHO........yes.
Some of the people on a couple of brewery BBs I read are suggesting I give a couple of more days. It didn't really start fermenting until Tuesday, so I'll probably do it then instead. I tasted the sample I pulled out and it needs some finishing, but not too bad at this point....for a flat beer. :-)
[Reply]
Bwana 10:12 AM 01-22-2005
Good job Bob, I hope you end up with a great beverage when you're done. The reason I said yes is the fact that you can't hurt it by waiting and could gain from waiting a few days.
[Reply]
Dartgod 05:19 PM 02-13-2005
Right now I'm enjoying the first beer I've ever brewed and I must say it's not too bad. I bottled last weekend and I wanted to try one to see how well it is carbonating. I tossed one in the fridge this morning. I just popped it open and am enjoying it now. It's carbonated pretty well at this point, but didn't get much of a head in the glass, so it will probably benefit from a couple of more weeks carbonating. I like the taste. It is a very drinkable brew, IMO.
[Reply]
ENDelt260 02-13-2005, 05:22 PM
This message has been deleted by ENDelt260.
Dartgod 05:24 PM 02-13-2005
Originally Posted by ENDelt260:
Shoot, now all you need is an airline, Bob.
Or a football team or a nuclear weapon.
[Reply]
stevieray 05:28 PM 02-13-2005
Right now I'm enjoying the first beer I've ever brewed and I must say it's not too bad. I bottled last weekend and I wanted to try one to see how well it is carbonating. I tossed one in the fridge this morning. I just popped it open and am enjoying it now. It's carbonated pretty well at this point, but didn't get much of a head in the glass, so it will probably benefit from a couple of more weeks carbonating. I like the taste. It is a very drinkable brew, IMO.

Congrats!....I want to try one...
[Reply]
Bwana 05:51 PM 02-13-2005
Good for you bud! :-) What's next??
[Reply]
Dartgod 05:55 PM 02-13-2005
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Good for you bud! :-) What's next??
Pale Ale, I think. I know I should let this sit in the bottle for another week or two, but I'm really craving another one right now.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 20
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up