ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 20
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Home brew
Dartgod 10:46 AM 01-16-2005
I know there are some other home brewers on here; Bwana and TJ for starters.

I'm brewing my first batch ever today. It's a German wheat. Looking forward to tasting this bad boy in about a month! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 08:16 AM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Most likely. This morning I counted 9 bubbles in a two minute period. I'll probably measure the gravity tomorrow to get a beter idea.

Have you considered going to a keg system?
I've got the taps, the kegs, the CO2 tank but I just haven't taken the time to put everything together. Maybe this spring after my schedule slows a little.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:46 AM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by JimNasium:
DG - Are you going to transfer to secondary this weekend? I have the unpleasant task of bottling 15 gallons this saturday. Bottling is the closest thing to work in this hobby. I'll be happy when I have my kegging system up and running.
I heard that. I’ll probably start brewing more when I can collect the gear for a keg system.
Sanitizing bottles just plain sucks, even with a bottle washer.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:18 PM 01-21-2005
I'm down to a bubble every 15-30 seconds. Think it's close to being ready for the secondary? I was thinking about doing it tomorrow, but would most likely be Sunday.

BTW I designed a label for it too. What do ya think?

[Reply]
JimNasium 09:28 PM 01-21-2005
I'm down to a bubble every 15-30 seconds. Think it's close to being ready for the secondary? I was thinking about doing it tomorrow, but would most likely be Sunday.

BTW I designed a label for it too. What do ya think?

Very cool label. I don't label mine because I drink them too fast. :-) I think you'll be fine transferring tomorrow or Sunday. Just to reiterate my point from earlier though, in general, it is better (IMO) to leave it in primary for another week and then in secondary for as long as you can stand. The beer will have better clarity and the yeast will have the opportunity to completely finish their work. Also, allowing the beer to bulk age helps the flavor profile. That being said, I had my first beer in the bottle one week to the day I brewed it. :-) I also have waaaay tooooo much beer that is ready to drink as it is. Transfer, bottle and drink. It sounds like you might be hooked. :-)
[Reply]
Joe Seahawk 09:28 PM 01-21-2005
That's a great label Dartgod.. you're not really using 12 ounce bottles though are you?

Man that would take forever to clean all those suckers. I used to brew 15 gallon batches and even the 22 ouncers took forever to sanitize..

Now I brew at a place that has a commercial bottle sanitizer and controlled temp fermenting rooms. Gallaghers

I kind of miss doing it at home though.. My wife does not however.. :-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:31 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by Joe Seahawk:
That's a great label Dartgod.. you're not really using 12 ounce bottles though are you?

Man that would take forever to clean all those suckers. I used to brew 15 gallon batches and even the 22 ouncers took forever to sanitize..

Now I brew at a place that has a commercial bottle sanitizer and controlled temp fermenting rooms. Gallaghers

I'm bottling 15 gallons tomorrow night....mostly in 12 ounce bottles. It's gonna really suck. I might have to drink alot to get me through it.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:41 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by Joe Seahawk:

I bought 2 cases of bottles, so not much to clean this time. I've got a great big keg tub that I'll use to sanitize them in.

That's pretty cool idea for a business. They get a lot of people brweing there?
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:45 PM 01-21-2005
Very cool label. I don't label mine because I drink them too fast. :-) I think you'll be fine transferring tomorrow or Sunday. Just to reiterate my point from earlier though, in general, it is better (IMO) to leave it in primary for another week and then in secondary for as long as you can stand. The beer will have better clarity and the yeast will have the opportunity to completely finish their work. Also, allowing the beer to bulk age helps the flavor profile. That being said, I had my first beer in the bottle one week to the day I brewed it. :-) I also have waaaay tooooo much beer that is ready to drink as it is. Transfer, bottle and drink. It sounds like you might be hooked. :-)
I probably won't label all of them. I was just jacking around in Photoshop. Gotta do something to pass the time while i wait for it to finish.

I'll probably move it Sunday and then leave it in the secondary for a couple of more weeks and then bottle. I'll try to let it finish in the bottle for 3 weeks, but I'm sure I'll have to sample some after a week in the bottle. :-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:48 PM 01-21-2005
I probably won't label all of them. I was just jacking around in Photoshop. Gotta do something to pass the time while i wait for it to finish.

I'll probably move it Sunday and then leave it in the secondary for a couple of more weeks and then bottle. I'll try to let it finish in the bottle for 3 weeks, but I'm sure I'll have to sample some after a week in the bottle. :-)
Hell, I usually pop one 3 days out from bottling just to make sure they are carbonating. I would bottle condition in a warmer room just to speed up the process. A buddy of mine bottle conditions in his basement which maintains at about 62 degrees. His beers sometimes take 6 weeks to fully carbonate. You don't want to torture yourself for that long. :-)
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:49 PM 01-21-2005
Oh, and I almost forgot. Once you transfer you have room in your primary fermentor for your next batch! :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:53 PM 01-21-2005
Oh, and I almost forgot. Once you transfer you have room in your primary fermentor for your next batch! :-)
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. :-)
I'd like to do a pale ale. Maybe a Sierra Nevada clone.
[Reply]
JimNasium 09:57 PM 01-21-2005
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. :-)
I'd like to do a pale ale. Maybe a Sierra Nevada clone.
Pales are easy and they are ready to drink really quickly. If you are going with a Sierra Nevada clone I'd highly recommend the Wyeast 1056 strain. Good stuff.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:59 PM 01-21-2005
Pales are easy and they are ready to drink really quickly. If you are going with a Sierra Nevada clone I'd highly recommend the Wyeast 1056 strain. Good stuff.
Yeah, I've been reading up on it and I guess it's common knowledge thats the same strain Sierra Nevada uses.
[Reply]
Skip Towne 10:31 PM 01-21-2005
The only time I drank home brew it had white shit floating around in it. It sucked and I didn't want any more of it.
[Reply]
Dartgod 11:02 PM 01-21-2005
Originally Posted by Skip Towne:
The only time I drank home brew it had white shit floating around in it. It sucked and I didn't want any more of it.
Have you ever seen American Pie? Remember the bedroom scene and the beer that Stifler...ummmm, enhanced?
[Reply]
Page 8 of 20
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up