ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 20
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Home brew
Dartgod 10:46 AM 01-16-2005
I know there are some other home brewers on here; Bwana and TJ for starters.

I'm brewing my first batch ever today. It's a German wheat. Looking forward to tasting this bad boy in about a month! :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 08:48 AM 01-18-2005
Originally Posted by Radar Chief:
Ok, just for “what if’s”, what would you do if the Hefeweizen is preferred but the yeast won’t start? Aerate using an oxygen stone? Add some yeast nutrients? Or something else that hasn’t been mentioned?
I’ve had this problem before so I’m curious what more experienced brewers think.
Not everyone would agree with me, but I'd get another vial of White Labs and pitch it.
If you guys want to see a batch damn near explode within hours of pitching, start planning your schedules and use the yeast cakes from your previous batch. Then place it in an area with a lot of towels around. :-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:55 AM 01-18-2005
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
Not everyone would agree with me, but I'd get another vial of White Labs and pitch it.
That’s a possibility, I’m pretty sure the Bacchose Barleycorn store has WL yeast on hand, although I’d probably create a live pitch with some nutrients or sweet wort. I just like seeing yeast activity before I pitch it.

If you guys want to see a batch damn near explode within hours of pitching, start planning your schedules and use the yeast cakes from your previous batch. Then place it in an area with a lot of towels around. :-)
I’ve thought of doing that before but don’t brew often enough to keep yeast cultures going.
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 08:57 AM 01-18-2005
That’s a possibility, I’m pretty sure the Bacchose Barleycorn store has WL yeast on hand, although I’d probably create a live pitch with some nutrients or sweet wort. I just like seeing yeast activity before I pitch it.

I’ve thought of doing that before but don’t brew often enough to keep yeast cultures going.
We always had such active ferments that an airlock definitely wouldn't do the trick. We always had to use blow off tubes and sometimes it would still get messy.
[Reply]
Dartgod 03:49 PM 01-18-2005
I just called home and the airlock is bubbling! Fermentation has started!!
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 03:57 PM 01-18-2005
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Cool, I figured it would. :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 03:58 PM 01-18-2005
Cool, I figured it would. :-)
At least you did. Took 48 hours, but at I learned something; make a starter next time. :-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:07 PM 01-18-2005
Now comes the hard part: waiting.
[Reply]
Dartgod 04:13 PM 01-18-2005
Now comes the hard part: waiting.
Waiting? What the hell you think I've been doing the last 48 hours?

LOL, I know what you mean. Of course I could pass the time planning my next brew. Got any favorite extract recipes you'd like to share?
[Reply]
Radar Chief 04:34 PM 01-18-2005
Waiting? What the hell you think I've been doing the last 48 hours?

LOL, I know what you mean. Of course I could pass the time planning my next brew. Got any favorite extract recipes you'd like to share?
http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18430

This is by far my favorite recipe kit.
It’s an IPA with bold flavor and body, just the way I like it.
[Reply]
ENDelt260 01-18-2005, 04:36 PM
This message has been deleted by ENDelt260.
journeyscarab 04:38 PM 01-18-2005
Originally Posted by ENDelt260:
I think I'll just stop by the liquor store on the way home and pick up a twelve pack. Seems faster.
I second that!
[Reply]
stevieray 04:45 PM 01-18-2005
This thread made me thirsty.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 07:22 AM 01-19-2005
Originally Posted by ENDelt260:
I think I'll just stop by the liquor store on the way home and pick up a twelve pack. Seems faster.
It is, if you brew for convenience your wasting time.
If you brew for cost savings, your saving a little but considering the time involved, along with start up equipment cost, your not saving that much.
If you brew for any other reason than the pleasure of drinking, or letting your friends sample, your own quality hand crafted brews you’ll be disappointed.
But who am I talking to here, grab some PBR and call it good. :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:50 AM 01-19-2005
If you brew for any other reason than the pleasure of drinking, or letting your friends sample, your own quality hand crafted brews you’ll be disappointed.
Exactly what I hope to get out of it.

BTW, when I left the house, the airlock was bubbling furiously! :-)

I counted the bubbles last night and was getting around 180 a minute. This morning they were coming too quickly to even count.
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:45 AM 01-19-2005
Exactly what I hope to get out of it.

BTW, when I left the house, the airlock was bubbling furiously! :-)

I counted the bubbles last night and was getting around 180 a minute. This morning they were coming too quickly to even count.
Good, getting a nice layer of foam on top? See yeast particles swirling furiously turning sugars into alcohol? This is my favorite part, next to drinking it. :-)
[Reply]
Radar Chief 08:47 AM 01-19-2005
Damn, all this talk about brewing is give’n me the fever. Gonna have’ta by another kit like the one I posted yesterday and brew up a batch. :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 20
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up