ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Derrick Johnson
Direckshun 08:10 AM 09-22-2017
I've been rewatching some of the Eagles and Pats games the past week, and DJ is just insanely good.

Seriously, I don't even think I want to lose him this offseason, much as that financially makes sense.

Here's the deal: you can totally replace his speed and his athleticism. Especially these days.

But he's SO SMART. Easily the smartest player on our defense -- he never falls for a single fake, he can always anticipate where the play is going, and is so mentally tough.

Terez did a story on Ragland earlier this season where Ragland was talking about "hey all I'm here to do is exactly what DJ tells me -- it's his team." That kind of deference is invaluable and it's part of what makes our defense so incredibly difficult to score on.

I know nobody disagrees with me that DJ is an All Time Chief, but I'll tell you this right now: barring another injury or him falling off a cliff, we gotta keep this guy. He's nigh irreplaceable.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:14 AM 09-22-2017
I'd love for him to stick around a few more years, but only on a very modest contract. We have had way too much money going to aging vets lately.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:15 AM 09-22-2017
If his body holds up for an entire year, sure.
[Reply]
mcaj22 08:15 AM 09-22-2017
DJ's ability to counter audible the good QBs in the NFL is what sets him apart. They don't have another ILBer with the IQ or ability to make sure everyone is in the right place like DJ does.

DJ knows the chess match against good QBs and that's a priceless attribute.
[Reply]
TimBone 08:17 AM 09-22-2017
I generally feel the same way. DJ is one of my all time favorite Chiefs, and his brain is what makes him so special.

Fun Fact: He's my age, and went to high school in Waco, Texas, just about 30 miles from my hometown. We played Waco every year in football, which means I played high school football against Derrick Johnson. I like to assume I laid him out a time or two.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:21 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by ModBone:
We played Waco every year in football, which means I played high school football against Derrick Johnson. I like to assume I laid him out a time or two.
He was a linebacker. Did you ever smash any Waco linebackers?
[Reply]
58-4ever 08:26 AM 09-22-2017
He's definitely one of the smartest football players I've ever seen. His anticipation and ability to tackle without wrecking his body is incredible.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:28 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'd love for him to stick around a few more years, but only on a very modest contract. We have had way too much money going to aging vets lately.
Kinda gotta go year to year at maybe $4 million/yr for him. Anything more than that and you're actually paying a hometown premium for him, IMO.

His value to this team and this system is far greater than it would be elsewhere. He can't play in a 4-3 and if you put him in a 3-4 with different calls/adjustments that intelligence and intuitiveness is gone.

So if you put him out in the market generally, I don't think a 35 yr old linebacker is going to get a hell of a lot of attention apart from some teams like the Jets that are looking to bring someone in as a mentor to get them to the cap floor and teach the young kids.

That's not how he wants to go out so unless he wants to play out the string, he's looking at a relatively modest free market value. I don't think he'll come back at $2 million or anything but if you gave him a 2 year deal for $8 million w/ a $1 million signing bonus and a 3 million salary in year 1, you essentially have a 'team option' for year 2. If he's still playing at a high level in '18 you consider it. If not, you walk.

In either event, nothing like that insane bit of idiot contract that Dorsey gave him and Hali with large guaranteed bases in year 2.
[Reply]
penguinz 08:37 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
If his body holds up for an entire year, sure.
You are so freaking clueless it is unbelievable.
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:42 AM 09-22-2017
I love DJ but there have been a couple of times in these last two games where he looks a little gimpy. I am not sure if he still has some soreness or if he doesn't fully trust his ACL but there have been a few times where I have seen him just give up on an angle because he wasn't able to move fast enough. Unfortunately for this reason I think this is his last year. Maybe he can come back to coach the LBers!
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:46 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You are so freaking clueless it is unbelievable.
Why?

If an old player can't stay healthy, bye.

DJ's injury history is a concern.
[Reply]
threebag 08:46 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by ModBone:
I generally feel the same way. DJ is one of my all time favorite Chiefs, and his brain is what makes him so special.

Fun Fact: He's my age, and went to high school in Waco, Texas, just about 30 miles from my hometown. We played Waco every year in football, which means I played high school football against Derrick Johnson. I like to assume I laid him out a time or two.
Thanks for the quote so I could see this tripe.

You're probably still picking grass out of your ass from when he mowed you :-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:46 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Hydrae:
I love DJ but there have been a couple of times in these last two games where he looks a little gimpy. I am not sure if he still has some soreness or if he doesn't fully trust his ACL but there have been a few times where I have seen him just give up on an angle because he wasn't able to move fast enough. Unfortunately for this reason I think this is his last game. Maybe he can come back to coach the LBers!
Hydrae, do you mean last year?
[Reply]
penguinz 08:51 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Why?

If an old player can't stay healthy, bye.

DJ's injury history is a concern.
Two real injuries, both of which once repaired are highly unlikely to happen again because the repair actually makes it stronger.
[Reply]
Hydrae 08:52 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Hydrae, do you mean last year?
Yes, thank you. I will edit that right now. No jinxing allowed due to my typing!!!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up