ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>KCTV-5 is at an impasse with DirecTV and U-verse
Tribal Warfare 10:59 PM 09-21-2017
Chiefs fans might want an antenna: KCTV-5 is at an impasse with DirecTV and U-verse

SEPTEMBER 21, 2017 3:29 PM

DirecTV or U-Verse customers who plan on watching the Chiefs take on the Los Angeles Chargers on KCTV-5 on Sunday afternoon might want to have a Plan B.

The local station and the cable TV providers, owned by AT&T, are nearing a deadline on a new contract. If they don’t reach a deal, DirecTV and AT&T’s U-verse will drop KCTV-5 from their offerings on Friday.

That puts the Chiefs game, and everything else people watch on Meredith Corp.-owned KCTV-5, in jeopardy.

The issue is how much the local station wants — and the cable provider is willing to pay — for the right to retransmit programming. KCTV-5 is a CBS affiliate, which means it gets to carry the NFL game. No KCTV-5, no game.

We don’t know the details of the negotiations, but both sides are in spin mode.

“The rates that we are asking for from AT&T and DirecTV are far less than AT&T and DirecTV pay for niche cable networks from New York and Los Angeles that have lower viewership than our stations in this local market,” says a statement posted on KCTV’s website.

The station says it needs to be adequately compensated to produce local programming, such as news. It reminds viewers that AT&T and DirecTV charge customers for local programming on their monthly bill.

DirecTV has this to say on its website:

“Fewer people watch shows on local stations than ever before, but broadcasters continue to demand everyone pay more to get the few shows they do watch,” the statement said.

“When contract disputes arise over station owners’ unnecessary increases in what you should pay for these free over-the-air stations, DirecTV will never remove them from your lineup. Period. Station owners may try to avoid their responsibilities to you, but make no mistake: the station owners are the only ones who can decide to take away your local stations.”

Such standoffs are not unusual. The current one is also affecting Meredith-owned local stations in other cities, such as Atlanta and Nashville.

In 2012, KCTV-5 and Time Warner Cable went to the brink before reaching a decision that avoided the local station and its sister KSMO from going dark on that cable provider. At the same time, an impasse between Time Warner and KMBC-TV caused that station and its sisters to go dark for nearly 10 days.

As current negotiations continue, KCTV-5 reminds viewers they can always watch its programs for free with an antenna.
[Reply]
Luke Atamadong 07:14 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by SPchief:
Move the antenna? :-)
Don't be ridiculous.
[Reply]
Molitoth 07:18 AM 09-22-2017
These assholes.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 07:19 AM 09-22-2017
Since I'm not in the KC area, this one doesn't affect me.....this time. But it's not like this hasn't affected me in the past with other stations. We are getting fiber here around the first of the year. At that time, I am cutting the cord for good. I will be thrilled to get rid of DirecTV and their overpriced programming forever.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:35 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by oldman:
I wonder how much they do pay each station to carry programming. My DISH charges $10 a month for all local stations, so if you divide that by the 5 companies in KC (I'm sure PBS gets less), it's about $2 per month for each, minus whatever transport/satellite charges. We lost KMBC (ABC) and it's sister station 29 for over a month earlier this year.

It's usually fractions of pennies per subscriber.
[Reply]
blake5676 07:39 AM 09-22-2017
Out of curiosity, if you have NFL ticket should the game still be accessible if you live in KC? Or is there some sort of stupid blackout rule where local games won't be in that package?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:40 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by blake5676:
Out of curiosity, if you have NFL ticket should the game still be accessible if you live in KC? Or is there some sort of stupid blackout rule where local games won't be in that package?

Blackout.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 07:43 AM 09-22-2017
2 years w/o paying a dime for TV.
[Reply]
HemiEd 08:52 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by SPchief:
Move the antenna? :-)
Antenna is in the attic and hard wired to wall outlets. If I felt like messing with it I could even hook one of the big tvs to the wall outlet by running a coax, but it's a pain in the keister.
No biggie, I can watch the game in the guest bedroom. I heard some people even watch games on their phones or laptops!:-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:56 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
Antenna is in the attic and hard wired to wall outlets. If I felt like messing with it I could even hook one of the big tvs to the wall outlet by running a coax, but it's a pain in the keister.
No biggie, I can watch the game in the guest bedroom. I heard some people even watch games on their phones or laptops!:-)
That's what I'm doing Sunday. Traveling for work, and they're playing the GB game pretty much everywhere except KC and west coast. So I'll be on the ST app.
[Reply]
Stanley Nickels 08:59 AM 09-22-2017
Agree with those who say cut the cable... It's a hard leap to make but once you jump you'll never be happier. We did it 5 years ago and I can't say I miss any of the reality junk, ESPN sports entertainment, or really anything else other than AMC/HBO (and I have relatives with cable logins for that :-) )
[Reply]
The Bunk 09:46 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Stanley Nickels:
Agree with those who say cut the cable... It's a hard leap to make but once you jump you'll never be happier. We did it 5 years ago and I can't say I miss any of the reality junk, ESPN sports entertainment, or really anything else other than AMC/HBO (and I have relatives with cable logins for that :-) )
I'm two weeks in and I can't say I miss it at all. When Google jacked up my monthly fee to $190, I ditched cable all together and went down to 100mb, so now I'm down to $50. I kept Netflix and HBO Now because I think their content is worth their monthly fee. Plenty on both of those to keep me entertained. The only thing I think I'll potentially miss is the Royals, but I can always go old school and listen on the radio.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 06:17 PM 09-22-2017
Ed, purchase a HD antenna that sits right next to your TV. Cost 25/30$. My TV has never looked better.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 06:25 PM 09-22-2017
Greedy ass rapers.
[Reply]
Spott 07:01 PM 09-22-2017
I have been a Direct TV subscriber for 20 years now and they have gone to shit since ATT acquired them.

Might be watching the game on a 32 inch TV in a guest bedroom I guess since it is the only one hooked up on antenna.
That's what AT&T does to every company they buy. They find out that something works and they take a giant shit on it.
[Reply]
Bugeater 09:12 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
It happens to every content provider.
I don't recall it ever happening in the 20+ years I've been with US West/Qwest/CenturyLink.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up