ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>DEVELOPING: Tests show Aaron Hernandez had CTE
eDave 02:32 PM 09-21-2017
Aaron Hernandez, the former NFL star who took his life while serving a murder sentence in prison, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy -- commonly known as CTE -- attorney Jose Baez said Thursday.N

Source: CNN

True? Or a play for $$$?
[Reply]
TambaBerry 07:54 PM 09-21-2017
Seriously though, this is such a bullshit cop out they're trying to get. Sometimes jobs come with risks and these guys are paid a lot more then they deserve to be paid for playing football. You know the risks associated with it before you ever step onto the field. The NFL should make these guys sign waivers before they can suit up and if they don't, then don't let them play a down.
[Reply]
tk13 08:06 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
Seriously though, this is such a bullshit cop out they're trying to get. Sometimes jobs come with risks and these guys are paid a lot more then they deserve to be paid for playing football. You know the risks associated with it before you ever step onto the field. The NFL should make these guys sign waivers before they can suit up and if they don't, then don't let them play a down.
I don't think that's a problem. The problem will be when this starts pushing kids away from football and towards other sports. Or you start seeing players retire early more often. It's not like there are 32 elite guys at most of these positions anyway.

They've already reduced practice times down to the point where it's pretty obviously effecting the quality of play on the field. I posted an article last week about how the CFL is banning practice with pads during the season. The NFL might not be far behind. There will probably be more changes in the future.
[Reply]
KranzDictum 08:09 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by TigeRRUppeRRcut:
If you're going to sue the Patriots you better include the NCAA / Florida football too. This is all about that $$. The lawyer has his sights set on a settlement.
Yep, it was his lawyer who had the tests done. Looking for some stupid loophole to eek some cash out of.
[Reply]
nceagle_11 08:28 PM 09-21-2017
From a scientific POV, there is a HUGE BS aspect to the CTE push against football. Where is the control group? Where are the studies on CTE from people who do crazy shit and didn't play in the NFL? You can't claim that football is causing CTE without a control group to prove that CTE doesn't exist naturally. Maybe, everyone has it.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:31 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by nceagle_11:
From a scientific POV, there is a HUGE BS aspect to the CTE push against football. Where is the control group? Where are the studies on CTE from people who do crazy shit and didn't play in the NFL? You can't claim that football is causing CTE without a control group to prove that CTE doesn't exist naturally. Maybe, everyone has it.
What I want to know is the relationship between subconcussive hits and chemical substances: be they alcohol, illicit drugs or prescribed medicines.
[Reply]
nceagle_11 08:37 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
What I want to know is the relationship between subconcussive hits and chemical substances: be they alcohol, illicit drugs or prescribed medicines.
I completely agree with that, but until you have a baseline to work from, all other research is pointless.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:12 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by KranzDictum:
Yep, it was his lawyer who had the tests done. Looking for some stupid loophole to eek some cash out of.
He should probably look somewhere where he played more than 38 games.
[Reply]
mdstu 09:22 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by Best22:
Also wasn't Junior Seau known as a high character guy? Whereas Hernandez was always running with the wrong crowd?
As far as I can tell Hernandez was the "wrong crowd".
The dude was a sociopath.
[Reply]
tk13 09:23 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by nceagle_11:
I'd have to dig it up, I'm sure you could Google this... but Mayo Clinic researchers did this. To be fair, they said don't use their study to make any definitive statements, more research needs to be done.

But... they did a study of a number of brains. A third of the people who participated in contact sports had CTE. The control group had zero cases of CTE.
[Reply]
tk13 09:28 PM 09-21-2017
http://www.startribune.com/mayo-rese...ion/360065411/

Here. 21 of the 66 brains they studied from people who played contact sports had CTE. They had a control group of 198 brains, and none of them showed signs of CTE.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:31 PM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by tk13:

Here. 21 of the 66 brains they studied from people who played contact sports had CTE. They had a control group of 198 brains, and none of them showed signs of CTE.
How much self-selection bias was in play with those 66 brains vs the 198 that didn't though.
[Reply]
TimeForWasp 05:21 AM 09-22-2017
If his lawyer wins millions, the money should go to his victims families not his family.
[Reply]
ChiefGator 05:30 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by tk13:

Thanks, I was just starting to wonder if damn near everyone had CTE..

Yeah, he was a thug at Florida too.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 05:37 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by DartMod:
Is there any evidence that suggests that CTE will turn you into a murderous thug?
From Wikipedia:

Second-stage symptoms include memory loss, social instability, impulsive behavior, and poor judgment...

If you start with someone who has issues it's going to make it worse.
[Reply]
Skyy God 06:13 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
From Wikipedia:

Second-stage symptoms include memory loss, social instability, impulsive behavior, and poor judgment...

If you start with someone who has issues it's going to make it worse.
The proverbial eggshell plaintiff.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up