ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock (9/19)
Direckshun 10:37 PM 09-19-2017
Assumptions:

1. The Chiefs finish 12-4, win the AFC West, and secure the 1st overall seed. They host the Raiders and manage to fend them off for a trip to the AFCCG, where they defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers. They lose the Super Bowl to the Seahawks. HC Andy Reid and GM Brett Veach stay on, and QB Alex Smith is retained.

2. OLB Tamba Hali retires.

3. The Chiefs extend QB Alex Smith 3 years, $55m ($20m guaranteed), DE Allen Bailey 4 years, $30m ($15m guaranteed), ILB Derrick Johnson 3 years, $15m ($7m guaranteed), and CB Terrance Mitchell 3 years, $18m ($7m guaranteed). These extensions allow the Chiefs to back-end much of the cap hits, and frees up roughly $20m in cap space.

4. The Chiefs sign K Cairo Santos for 4 years, $11m ($4m guaranteed).

5. The Chiefs tender NT Rakeem Nunez-Roches, ILB Ramik Wilson.

6. The Chiefs sign QB Tyler Bray, RB Akeem Hunt, FB Anthony Sherman, OL Jordan Devey, NT Roy Miller, DE Jarvis Jenkins, ILB Kevin Pierre-Louis to minimal deals.

7. The Chiefs let walk WR Albert Wilson, WR De'Anthony Thomas, OL Zach Fulton, NT Benny Logan, ILB Terrance Smith, CB Phillip Gaines, CB Kenneth Acker, P Dustin Colquitt.

8. The Chiefs sign DE Kyle Williams (Bills) for 2 years, $10m ($2m guaranteed).

9. The Chiefs are picking 31st, and have one compensatory pick (a 6th) for QB Nick Foles. They have three conditionals: a 6th for OT Isaiah Battle, a 7th for DE David King, and a 7th for CB Marcus Cooper.

The draft:

2. WR Deon Cain, Clemson
The Chiefs trade their 2nd, one of their 6ths, and a 2019 5th to move up to the middle of the 2nd round.

Yeah, we all know Veach is going to deal as many of those late rounders as possible. The team doesn't have that many roster spots open, and one of the things they are going to need is more talent downfield for Smith/Mahomes in the coming years. Cain is a perfect match for both QBs: he has a very fast first step that will endear him to Smith's brand of getting open quickly, and a ridiculous catching radius that will endear him to the creative playmaking of Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs let Albert Wilson walk this offseason, and Cain can compete with Chesson and Robinson for the 3rd WR reps.

3. CB Brandon Facyson, Virginia Tech

What did Veach/Dorsey do? They reached out for players with elite measurables over and over again and depend on Reid's outstanding coaching staff to develop them. You can't do much better than a 6'1" CB with outstanding speed. Facyson has some problems with his game, but the Chiefs desperately need a 4th CB who can start on the outside in a pinch. Phillip Gaines was their last attempt at a 3rd rounder to fill this role; Facyson is the next.

4. CB Duke Dawson, Florida

The Chiefs also desperately need more talent at nickel, as Steven Nelson has proven adept but insurance is always necessary. Dawson is an eye opening player at times, with some huge hits and tons of flexibility all over the backfield. I really enjoy watching this kid.

More importantly, with the addition of Facyson and Dawson, the Chiefs have potentially the deepest secondary in the NFL: Peters, Mitchell, Nelson, Facyson, and Dawson are all under contract for 2018 and 2019 at LEAST.

5. DE Darian Roseboro, North Carolina State
The Chiefs trade one of their 6ths and both of their 7ths to move into the 5th round.

Roseboro fits the Nunez-Roches profile: incredible athlete with great motor, as NC State prospects usually are. What's needed here in some elite level coaching, which Britt Reid provides.

6 (Nick Foles). P Johnny Townsend, Florida

With Colquitt on the outs, it's time for the Chiefs to make a move here with with one 6th they didn't package into a trade.

roster:

QB: Smith, Mahomes, Bray
RB: Hunt, Ware, West, Hunt
FB: Sherman

WR: Hill, Conley, Cain, Robinson, Chesson
TE: Kelce, Harris, Travis

LT: Fisher, Erving
LG: Ehinger, Witzmann
C: Morse, Devey
RG: Duvarney-Tardif, Witzmann
RT: Schwartz, Erving

DE: Jones, Jenkins, Roseboro
NT: Nunez-Roches, Miller
DE: Bailey, Williams

OLB: Ford, Kpassagnon
ILB: Ragland, Wilson
ILB: Johnson, Eligwe, Pierre-Louis
OLB: Houston, Zombo

CB: Peters, Mitchell, Nelson, Facyson, Dawson
S: Berry, Parker, Sorensen, Murray, McQuay

K: Santos
P: Townsend
LS: Winchester
[Reply]
Hoover 08:42 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
We don't have to extend any of those players this offseason.

But the time will come when we do have to keep those players (and hopefully Bennie Logan) and Alex will have to go.

If we go to the Super Bowl, which again, is what I'm projecting in the OP, you bring back the QB that took you there.
Extending Smith is about more than just next year.

Shit, if you want to keep him, them keep him, no need to extend him. Its not like we need a ton of cap room next year.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:50 AM 09-22-2017
I'm not for making personnel decisions that justify draft picks.

I'm making personnel decisions that give the team its best chance to win a Super Bowl.
That's moon logic. Hanging onto a QB in his mid 30's, and having to grenade the roster to do it, is not giving the franchise its best chance to win a Super Bowl.

The best chance is to let the guy you aggressively went after to get take over the team. You heard of long-term success?

Some of you fuckers need to learn how to let things go.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:22 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Extending Smith is about more than just next year.

Shit, if you want to keep him, them keep him, no need to extend him. Its not like we need a ton of cap room next year.
Extending him would lower his cap hit in 2018.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:23 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
That's moon logic. Hanging onto a QB in his mid 30's, and having to grenade the roster to do it, is not giving the franchise its best chance to win a Super Bowl.

The best chance is to let the guy you aggressively went after to get take over the team. You heard of long-term success?

Some of you ****ers need to learn how to let things go.
While I agree the primary problem with keeping Smith is that it risks grenade-ing the roster, I think my OP does its best to avoid doing that.

We're still strong everywhere, but a bit thinner along the DL. Matter of fact, the roster gets stronger at RB, WR, at the secondary.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 10:35 AM 09-22-2017
Extending him would lower his cap hit in 2018.
Extending him also is an albatross that hurts our cap situation for years to come.

It has been proven that Alex is not the type of QB that can win with lessor talent....so the concept of keeping Alex and letting talent walk because of the cap makes no sense, whether he wins a playoff game or not.
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 10:36 AM 09-22-2017
While I agree the primary problem with keeping Smith is that it risks grenade-ing the roster, I think my OP does its best to avoid doing that.

We're still strong everywhere, but a bit thinner along the DL. Matter of fact, the roster gets stronger at RB, WR, at the secondary.
Keeping Alex destroys the roster, plain and simple. Can't afford it.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 10:50 AM 09-22-2017

The issue is you're kicking the can down the road and eventually the Chiefs have to pay the toll.

All the back-loaded deals will make things tight for a Peters and Morse extension and you can't backload those deals and a Chris.Jones deal etc because eventually the cap is going to stop growing at record pace every year.

They have to rip off the bandaid eventually and your plan is a ticking time bomb.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:59 AM 09-22-2017
"Hey I have an idea; let's give up multiple draft picks for a guy who will sent the bench for nearly half a decade instead of using those same picks to potentially replace guys who could leave in free agency."
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:10 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
The issue is you're kicking the can down the road and eventually the Chiefs have to pay the toll.

All the back-loaded deals will make things tight for a Peters and Morse extension and you can't backload those deals and a Chris.Jones deal etc because eventually the cap is going to stop growing at record pace every year.

They have to rip off the bandaid eventually and your plan is a ticking time bomb.
That's a legitimate criticism.

However, if I believe this team can win a Super Bowl in 2018, I don't care. I'll kick the can down the road if it gives me a 2nd straight trip to the Super Bowl.

I'm not quite sure this team I've assembled in the OP can, but I'm kinda sure it can.
[Reply]
RealSNR 01:15 AM 09-23-2017
That's a legitimate criticism.

However, if I believe this team can win a Super Bowl in 2018, I don't care. I'll kick the can down the road if it gives me a 2nd straight trip to the Super Bowl.

I'm not quite sure this team I've assembled in the OP can, but I'm kinda sure it can.
And meanwhile, you extended Alex. When does he fucking leave? The year before we have to decide on Mahomes' option? When HE'S going to need a new contract? And he's going to want starter's money for having played jack fucking shit games?

Don't Brock Osweiler our QB, please. You do that shit to 4th round QBs. You DON'T do that to QBs who cost you an extra 1st and 3rd to acquire.

The sooner Alex gets his ass out of here the fucking better. Ravens did it to Dilfer. Bucs did it to Brad Johnson. We need to do the same to Alex should we be as fortunate as them to win the big one.
[Reply]
threebag 09:04 AM 09-23-2017
Guess we will wait and see. Two things can happen...

1) Alex haters kill themselves in droves if he is extended...

2) Chiefs fans cheer their next Quaterback regardless of who is under center...

Either way will be awesome.
[Reply]
RealSNR 09:52 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Guess we will wait and see. Two things can happen...

1) Alex haters kill themselves in droves if he is extended...

2) Chiefs fans cheer their next Quaterback regardless of who is under center...

Either way will be awesome.
If the Chiefs extend Alex Smith, I will go full Clay. I'll root for the team to crash and fucking burn. Extending Alex would be front office stupidity I have not seen in Kansas City since Scott Pioli was here. Veach would deserve to be run out of town in the most embarrassing way possible for the albatross he would place over this team's neck.

We were told Brett Veach would manage the cap situation better than his predecessor. If he extends Alex, that's not managing the cap. That's HAMSTRINGING the cap. Given the money we'll have to pay to Alex as well as how we'll be forced to handle Patrick Mahomes' new contract on very little information, that's a decision that would have FAR worse outcomes for this team than Dorsey's 3 worst contracts COMBINED.

It would be bad and unnecessary in the short term. It would have the potential to be HORRENDOUS and franchise-killing in the long term. Those are the risks. What is the reward? What do we get out of it? The chance to go for another Super Bowl with Alex fucking Smith as our QB? That's the fucking payoff?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:10 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
If the Chiefs extend Alex Smith, I will go full Clay. I'll root for the team to crash and fucking burn. Extending Alex would be front office stupidity I have not seen in Kansas City since Scott Pioli was here. Veach would deserve to be run out of town in the most embarrassing way possible for the albatross he would place over this team's neck.

We were told Brett Veach would manage the cap situation better than his predecessor. If he extends Alex, that's not managing the cap. That's HAMSTRINGING the cap. Given the money we'll have to pay to Alex as well as how we'll be forced to handle Patrick Mahomes' new contract on very little information, that's a decision that would have FAR worse outcomes for this team than Dorsey's 3 worst contracts COMBINED.

It would be bad and unnecessary in the short term. It would have the potential to be HORRENDOUS and franchise-killing in the long term. Those are the risks. What is the reward? What do we get out of it? The chance to go for another Super Bowl with Alex fucking Smith as our QB? That's the fucking payoff?
It's about time to start looking for another team to bandwagon.

KC will go full dipshit when it comes to deciding which QB to go with next year. I guarantee it.

They'll extend Smith and Mahomes will demand a contract that the Chiefs can't pay because they'll have to backload a bunch of guys to accommodate Smith's contract.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 10:40 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
It's about time to start looking for another team to bandwagon.

KC will go full dipshit when it comes to deciding which QB to go with next year. I guarantee it.

They'll extend Smith and Mahomes will demand a contract that the Chiefs can't pay because they'll have to backload a bunch of guys to accommodate Smith's contract.
You are the biggest negative dipshit on this forum by a wide, wide margin.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:05 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
And meanwhile, you extended Alex. When does he ****ing leave? The year before we have to decide on Mahomes' option? When HE'S going to need a new contract? And he's going to want starter's money for having played jack ****ing shit games?

Don't Brock Osweiler our QB, please. You do that shit to 4th round QBs. You DON'T do that to QBs who cost you an extra 1st and 3rd to acquire.

The sooner Alex gets his ass out of here the ****ing better. Ravens did it to Dilfer. Bucs did it to Brad Johnson. We need to do the same to Alex should we be as fortunate as them to win the big one.
I probably start shopping him the first year he doesn't take us to the Super Bowl. There's some wiggle room on that declaration but overall I'm dead serious.

I'm keeping him so long as he's taking us to Super Bowls.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up