ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 21
1 234511 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Feature: Up/Down Voting Posts
Bearcat 04:58 PM 09-14-2017
We have been playing around with up/down vote functionality for the past couple of weeks and just activated it in the Lounge prior to this thread.

1. Everyone can vote a post up or down. The vote totals themselves show up on the bottom right of the post. You can't vote on your own posts (the up/down vote is hidden), but you will see the totals once it's voted on.
2. If a post meets some criteria for being "good," the post will be given a yellow border (so that others are drawn to the "good posts" in a big thread).
3. Similarly, if a post meets some criteria for a "bad post," it will be shaded. If a post meets criteria for a "terrible post," it will be shown collapsed with a red bar. The red bar of a collapsed post shows the user's name, and you can click a button at the right to show the post.
4. This functionality doesn't mess with the order of posts.

I'm using "some criteria" only because we're sure it'll change. The border, shading, and collapsed posts are based on the difference between up and down votes, not a total number of one or the other. We'll be making adjustments based on usage, especially with collapsed posts.

We have questions about whether it'll work here vs a place like reddit. A few of us like the idea while others have brought up legitimate concerns. In the end, we decided to roll it out, at least temporarily.

This is a trial run.

We'll give it a week or two depending on how things go, then we'll put it to a vote as long as it's not an obviously terrible idea. The goal is make threads a little easier to scroll through -- easier to find the best contributions and easier to scroll past the trolling and derailments. We aren't out to completely hide posts and will adjust as needed to keep that percentage really low, or based on your feedback.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 05:04 PM 09-14-2017
This should be especially fun for us outsiders.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:04 PM 09-14-2017
This is a horrible idea!!!!!

(Now you fuckers have to figure out whether to vote this post up or down. :-))
[Reply]
ChiefGator 05:06 PM 09-14-2017
This is a great idea.. I have wanted to "like" posts for some time, without just putting in a message that says... "YEAH.. THAT.."
[Reply]
DaFace 05:08 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by ChiefGator:
This is a great idea.. I have wanted to "like" posts for some time, without just putting in a message that says... "YEAH.. THAT.."
Yeah, I personally think it'll be a nice feature if we can find the right limits for the various actions described in the OP. I'd love to be able to peruse a 500+ post thread and see a gold box every page or two that highlights quality posts.

Conversely, if someone's just mucking up threads all over the place, I'd love for the mods to not have to be the ones to make the call for a user getting booted for the thread and to let the community figure it out collectively.

But time will tell if it actually works or not.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:14 PM 09-14-2017
Interesting to see what will happen to certain posts from a few specific users...
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 05:21 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Interesting to see what will happen to certain posts from a few specific users...
LOL, "certain" posts, "specific" users...

[Reply]
Graystoke 05:22 PM 09-14-2017
Will it be in DC?

Voting myself thumbs down.
I see it is
[Reply]
stumppy 05:24 PM 09-14-2017
So, you're saying my posts will be blacked out, collapsed, and have flames coming off of them ?
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:28 PM 09-14-2017
I personally, think its bullshit that you cant up or down vote the op. MAKE IT HAPPEN DAFACE, YOU SONOFABITCH
[Reply]
Bearcat 05:34 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by Graystoke:
Will it be in DC?

Voting myself thumbs down.
I see it is
Is there such thing as a "good" post in DC? Want us to just put a thumbs down icon in DC?
[Reply]
DaFace 05:35 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
I personally, think its bullshit that you cant up or down vote the op. MAKE IT HAPPEN DAFACE, YOU SONOFABITCH
I know. It does really screwy things when the OP ends up hidden, unfortunately.
[Reply]
listopencil 05:38 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
This is a horrible idea!!!!!

(Now you fuckers have to figure out whether to vote this post up or down. :-))
I was going to try to come up with random troll post to test the thumbs down function but you already had several on this one. I'll just go with the flow and give this post a thumbs down.
[Reply]
MTG#10 05:38 PM 09-14-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I know. It does really screwy things when the OP ends up hidden, unfortunately.
Good point.

:-)
[Reply]
scho63 05:42 PM 09-14-2017
I would like to see the up posts in green and the down posts in red

They are a little hard to see but I love the idea

Congrats on roll out
[Reply]
Page 1 of 21
1 234511 > Last »
Up