ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Derrick Johnson
Direckshun 08:10 AM 09-22-2017
I've been rewatching some of the Eagles and Pats games the past week, and DJ is just insanely good.

Seriously, I don't even think I want to lose him this offseason, much as that financially makes sense.

Here's the deal: you can totally replace his speed and his athleticism. Especially these days.

But he's SO SMART. Easily the smartest player on our defense -- he never falls for a single fake, he can always anticipate where the play is going, and is so mentally tough.

Terez did a story on Ragland earlier this season where Ragland was talking about "hey all I'm here to do is exactly what DJ tells me -- it's his team." That kind of deference is invaluable and it's part of what makes our defense so incredibly difficult to score on.

I know nobody disagrees with me that DJ is an All Time Chief, but I'll tell you this right now: barring another injury or him falling off a cliff, we gotta keep this guy. He's nigh irreplaceable.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 04:31 PM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Eligwe is gonna be goooooood, man.

I like pretty much everything I've seen from that kid. Now there's no replacement for experience, especially with as much as we put on our Mike (and with as much as DJ is capable of handling from the mental side of things). But give Eligwe some time and I think he's exactly that 'impressive young guy' you're asking for. I think he'll be a hell of a ballplayer.
Agree. He had a really good preseason
[Reply]
milkman 10:28 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
DJ is my favorite player in the NFl. So many times he has been counted out, only to come back and rack up tackles.

He will go into the Chiefs Ring of Honor and hopefully have a long career with us as a coach.

One of the All Time Great Chiefs- on and off the field.
DJ is easily a top 4 Chief LB ever.

Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
DT
DJ

So he is clearly a RoH player, and should also be a HoFer when he hangs the cleats up.

However, it is better the let a player walk a year early than a year late.

And it might well be that time for DJ.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:32 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by milkman:

Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
DT
DJ
I'd never looked at it like that but, yeah, that's pretty accurate.

So he is clearly a RoH player, and should also be a HoFer when he hangs the cleats up.

I see nothing in DJ that has shown a decline yet. Week 1 and 2 he was busting through the line for a tackle for loss on the HB after reading the play...
[Reply]
milkman 10:41 AM 09-23-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I'd never looked at it like that but, yeah, that's pretty accurate.

I see nothing in DJ that has shown a decline yet. Week 1 and 2 he was busting through the line for a tackle for loss on the HB after reading the play...
That's the point.
He's still playing well, although he had already lost a step before this last injury.
He is at the age where he could could suddenly fall off a cliff, so you move on before he makes that fall.
[Reply]
Sandy Vagina 10:48 AM 09-23-2017
Anticipation, better angles, and health can keep D.J. around and effective for 2-3 more years. Pretty amazing guy, really. :-)
[Reply]
Halfcan 01:43 PM 09-23-2017

Bobby Bell
Willie Lanier
DT
DJ

I never got to see Bell and Lanier play so I will take your word on it. I met Bell before- even in his Golden Years, he looked like he could pick me up by my face. A gentle giant and class act. I bet he just crushed guys in his Prime though.

I hope DJ retires a Chief in another 3 years or so.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 07:54 PM 09-23-2017
That's the point.
He's still playing well, although he had already lost a step before this last injury.
He is at the age where he could could suddenly fall off a cliff, so you move on before he makes that fall.
Unfortunately, this. As much as I would love to roll back to 2005 with the current regime in place, it isn't happening. Staying competitive means making tough calls such as this.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up