ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 361
« First < 111718192021 222324253171121 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
aturnis 06:08 PM 02-24-2016
You have the technology to do both...
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:40 PM 02-24-2016
Originally Posted by aturnis:
You have the technology to do both...
You make an Egg-Cell-Ent point, I shall bring the MiFi to ensure BW isn't an issue.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:52 AM 02-25-2016
Sounds like the scrub wasn't weather related, so there goes my "smooth sailing" observation.

It sounds like they're still working out some of the kinks with the new supercooled LOX (only used before on the launch that landed in December), so hopefully they'll get that figured out with this one.
[Reply]
Dave Lane 12:27 PM 02-25-2016
An abundance of caution? WTF?
[Reply]
DaFace 12:40 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Dave Lane:
An abundance of caution? WTF?
If I'm understanding the reddit geeks' take, the colder they get it, the more power they have, and this flight will take about everything they've got.

So it's kind of like saying, "I think I've got enough fuel to drive 100 miles, and I only need to go 80, so I SHOULD be fine. But if I wait until tomorrow, the wind will be at my back, so I might as well wait just to be safe."

EDIT: For a more techy hypothesis:

Originally Posted by :
The electric thrusters can provide about 4 m/s of delta-V per day. So if SES can get 4 m/s more out of the rocket tomorrow, they'll be in service faster than if they launch today. Working out the numbers, that's about 0.1% more fuel. For LOX, a 24 degree K decrease adds 8.9% more fuel. So the break-even point is about 1/4 degree K. So the optimum is launching right at the start of the window, when the fuel is as cold as possible. But if they try and then scrub today, they lose two ways. Launching late in the window doubtless has the oxygen warmed more than 1/4 degree, so it would be better to launch at the beginning of the window tomorrow. But recycling all the warm LOX back into the ground tanks would probably mean they can't get it back down to within a quarter degree of the initial temperature by then.

So SES would probably prefer a beginning of window launch tomorrow to a late in the launch window today. Furthermore they would prefer a pre-load scrub to a post-load scrub. Of course they are playing this against the odds of a much longer possible delay if tomorrow is scrubbed as well. But it's entirely possible the delay is preferred by SES.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...408#msg1495408
[Reply]
Scooter LaCanforno 04:45 PM 02-25-2016
Not a cloud in the sky here at the Cape. Hope the wind eases a bit. Should be a nice launch.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:47 PM 02-25-2016
T-1 hour. No whammies!
[Reply]
DaFace 04:48 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno:
Not a cloud in the sky here at the Cape. Hope the wind eases a bit. Should be a nice launch.
Nice! I need to come down for a launch one of these days. I saw some random one go way back when I was a kid about 20 years ago, but I'd love go catch one of these in person. Especially once they get the F9-Heavy launches going. :-)
[Reply]
Donger 04:52 PM 02-25-2016
I'm really excited about this one. Told my clients that I had another engagement and had to leave early. "Where do you have to go, Donger?" "Ummm, it's.... secret."
[Reply]
DaFace 04:55 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm really excited about this one. Told my clients that I had another engagement and had to leave early. "Where do you have to go, Donger?" "Ummm, it's.... secret."
Anything about this one in particular that's got you all worked up?
[Reply]
Dave Lane 04:55 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
If I'm understanding the reddit geeks' take, the colder they get it, the more power they have, and this flight will take about everything they've got.

So it's kind of like saying, "I think I've got enough fuel to drive 100 miles, and I only need to go 80, so I SHOULD be fine. But if I wait until tomorrow, the wind will be at my back, so I might as well wait just to be safe."
Sorry my comment was directed more at the verbiage. Abundance of caution.

I have an abundance of caution in my pants :-)
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 04:56 PM 02-25-2016
Does anyone know the best place to watch live?
[Reply]
Donger 04:58 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Anything about this one in particular that's got you all worked up?
I know some folks from SES.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:58 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Does anyone know the best place to watch live?
By "live" do you mean on the internet or in Florida?
[Reply]
DaFace 04:59 PM 02-25-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
I know some folks from SES.
Ah, cool. Well, best of luck to them. :-)
[Reply]
Page 21 of 361
« First < 111718192021 222324253171121 > Last »
Up